Brunswick, GA USA

These two black guys tried performing Hey Ya at Coachella and it didn't go over well. I think they were called Outkast or something like that.

There was at least one person from Savannah, GA lurking here though I'm not sure he's still around Savannah or the board.

Alabama
NimbleF0x wrote:

well right now it's just about getting more people to know that i even exist and that people still do this.
the shock factor gets me most of my shows.

Write good music and you don't need shock factor. Otherwise it's a full on gimmick. And rarely does that work out.

MaxDolensky wrote:
NimbleF0x wrote:

well right now it's just about getting more people to know that i even exist and that people still do this.
the shock factor gets me most of my shows.

Write good music and you don't need shock factor. Otherwise it's a full on gimmick. And rarely does that work out.

lol.

I'm going to put this like this, and this will be the only way I say it.
music I make using lsdj or a tracker is not to be taken serious, I make it for fun. I enjoy making the different sounds that the gameboy is capable of.
little melodies and tunes i've put together are enjoyable for other people.
with that being said, I've been asked by close friends to play my stuff live, and I began to improve on what I made to a point that I gained confidence enough to play what I'd made live.
nothing I've made is on an album. they're all EP's, just little musical documentation. I will continue to share what my mind re-configures into my gameboy.
I'm not asking to be signed or to have a full length album and be sponsored or anything like that, I simply wanna share my creations.

BK

First off, there's nothing wrong with wanting to share your creations and play for people. However, if  you're making music that isn't to be taken seriously, don't be surprised when the people who do take music seriously find it to be subpar- they assume you're trying just as hard as they are. It's a matter of perspective.

Here's my advice: If you're coming across people saying your music isn't up to par, don't take it personally- see how you can grow from it. When I was just beginning, I basically had my ass handed to me on a platter by the likes of 8GB and Saskrotch when I posted on 8bc. I was upset at first, but then realized that they were just being honest about the quality of my music. And it wasn't good. I know that now. But that initial rejection made me want to work harder and write music i was truly proud of and could show to people with a smile on my face.

I think the hesitation most people are expressing on this thread come from genuine concern regarding the state of touring musicians today. Without established fans in different locations, it's hard to make money or even break even on a tour. Due to that, it's probably a bit premature to try and book a big tour until you know you have people who will attend the shows you're booking (also remember that getting shows often also depends on your ability to pull in a crowd, depending on the venue you're working with). Also take into account that we're in a niche scene and this becomes all the more important.  This is why chipmusic is pretty heavily dependent on the Internet- without that lifeline, this scene really would never have existed. And I'm betting that 99% of the chiptune artists you've heard of, you discovered online.

If you're completely comfortable with the idea that you might spend lots of money on gas, lodging, promotion, etc. only to find that people aren't showing up to your shows since they haven't heard your work before, then go ahead and book the tour. I sincerely wish you luck. Just know that anyone telling you that touring at this point might not be the best idea is only speaking out of genuine concern and from experience.

So, that's my novel-length contribution. I hope it helps in some way.

I respect especially the way you said that a lot.
And yeah, I mean I've put a good amount of money into making music I might as well spend a little more and have fun with other musicians. And you're right in a lot of ways. I've been on tours up and down the east coast with past bands of mine. At this point it's all about fun.

Last edited by NimbleF0x (May 31, 2014 10:02 pm)

Alabama
NimbleF0x wrote:

And yeah, I mean I put a good amount of money into music

lol.

San Diego

heyy, i live in southern california, but im down for playing a few gigs in the east coast wink