i put super gameboy chips in my gameboys to make them boot faster and silently

this video shows how much faster the super gameboy DMGs boot (they are the two on the left)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22rzmnLz3eA

Milan, Italy

ZELDA GOLD GAMEBOY CAMERA! FUCK YES.
How much have you spent for that? Where have you found it?

astral cat

INSANEEEEE! how does it handle LSDJ with lots of tables at the same time?

New York City

That is fucking cool.
Please post a tutorial!

not only is that a gold gameboy camera, its in a rare glow in the dark pocket! the camera was traded for a midi gameboy, a fair trade i think!

there is no point in a tutorial really, its just a case of unsoldering the gameboy cpu and sticking in the cpu from a super gameboy. its a straight swap, you are best using a hot air rework station to so it so you don't damage the chips.

as for performance, they are basically DMG chips with a different boot strap, its only how they start that is different

Minneapolis

Clever. That's actually some really cool work NEX.

But does the Super GB still work if you transplant the normal GB cpu into it?! smile

Cementimental wrote:

But does the Super GB still work if you transplant the normal GB cpu into it?! smile

kinda, but you need to boot it with a special rom that nitro2k01 designed, the DMG chip does not transmit the information that the super gameboy needs to boot, so he made a rom that does, then you can pull the rom out and put what ever you like in there.

or (with my 25 way adapted gameboys) you can use the DMG with the super gameboy chip to boot it by inputting the control signals.

Milan, Italy
NeX wrote:

the camera was traded for a midi gameboy, a fair trade i think!

Yeah! Totally worth! I would have 'paid' even more.. tongue
Congrats! eheh big_smile

Milan, Italy

I have a question about the biverted backlit.

I love the inverted backlits (you know.. better contrast and stuff).. But the problem is that i cannot see anything if there is a direct light on the DMG screen (like lamps and sun.. ).
I love to do street busking at daytime, and i cannot use my inverted game boys because of those illumination problems.

Would a biversion fix this issue? I guess not, but i would like to receive a proper answer.

Thanks. smile

yea i have wanted a gold camera since i found out about them but i never actually thought i would find one! then some guy says he has this camera is it rare? so i say yep, i will give you a midi gameboy for it, and all was happy!

nope a biversion will make it even harder to see. the only real thing you could do is use a gameboy colour as their screens are awesome in the sun. i worked out a way to fix it which would be adding a transflective layer to the back of the LCD but the problem is i have no idea where to get it from and it seems to cost a stupid amount of money. i was going to have a go with some mirror tinting film for car windows, but i cant get at it at the moment.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

You use a heat gun to swap the chips?

low-gain wrote:

You use a heat gun to swap the chips?

i wish lol, nope i am poor but i plan to invest in a rework station, comes with a soldering iron and a hot air reflow.

i did this with some low temp solder called chipkwic (or something like that) its great at getting stuff off the boards, but when putting the chips back on, if they had any of this stuff still on them it would turn brittle and cause dry solder joints. i had about a 50/60% sucess ratio, got two working fine, one ok but no network, and one just wont boot no matter what i do, i think its a dead chip

Tacoma WA

so thats what you wanted that supergameboy for.

very cool stuff

infradead wrote:

so thats what you wanted that supergameboy for.

very cool stuff

yea you should see the mountain of super gameboy cases i have now

Milan, Italy
NeX wrote:

Nope a biversion will make it even harder to see. the only real thing you could do is use a gameboy colour as their screens are awesome in the sun.

Yeah i've tried with GBCs (since they're even smaller), but for my little street-amp i really need the bB bust that i get on the prosounded dmg. smile
Yay. Thank you for the infos. smile