London, UK

Hi

I have myself one of the XIWI arduinoboy's and a dmg with the latest (paid for) version of LSDJ. I am wanting to be able to control my Commodore 64 (initially MSSIAH) with LSDJ using the midi out function of the arduinoboy.

I have connected the arduinoboy to the dmg and set the midi mode of the arduino to LSDJ Master. How do I trigger a simple MIDI note to be SENT from LSDJ?

I read somewhere you needed to add an 'N' command to the note to send it out of via MIDI. is this true? If so, the command list on my LSDJ jumps from 'M' to 'O' so am confused as to where to start. A newbie when it comes to setting up the arduinoboy and LSDJ for MIDI so any help would be appreciated.

I have read and searched a lot online and can not find the answers to m questions but excuse me if I have missed it!

Cheers.

Unsubscribe

You need a special version of the rom:
http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest … inoboy.zip

You need your lsdj password from when you bought the rom to download this, and then youll have the commands.

Melbourne, Australia

Edit: herr_prof beat me to it...

Last edited by Panda Chan (Oct 19, 2014 12:08 am)

London, UK

i have that already on my GB. I have set MIDIOUT on lsdj settings but what channel does PU1 PU2, WAV and NOI use? and when i simply add for example a C3 note in the phrase it does nothing on my c64. C64 is set to receive MIDI and locks on to the clock sent from LSDJ when set to master so I know the midi connection is being read by the c64.

Alabama

The commands you need are PAST Z, keep pressing right wink

London, UK

Thanks! Will try this when I get home from work. Excited to see the results. Do you know if you can simultaneously either send or receive and sync to a MIDI clock?

Unsubscribe

Nope you can't.

London, UK
herr_prof wrote:

Nope you can't.

ah damn thats a shame. so there is no way of keeping hardware that has its notes controlled by a gameboy sync'd on a midi clock with other hardware? or is there a way im not thinking of?

London, UK
MaxDolensky wrote:

The commands you need are PAST Z, keep pressing right wink

thanks very much! So to play a C3 note out via midi do you just put c3 into the note of the phrase and an N 00 command? Or does it have to be a particular command number?

i have found out the note commands MSSIAH sequencer receives and it seems to be 24-107. I have tried putting a c3 note with an n command of various numbers between those specified and still have no joy. Though to add to that the arduinoboy has no lights on at all. Should the arduinoboy lights flash when it is sending out a midi signal?

thanks in advance guys, greatly appreciate the help :-)

Last edited by handbaked (Oct 19, 2014 9:30 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

Make sure your arduinoboy is in midiout mode, and the command you're looking for is Q00 (which sends a midi note relative to the note played on the gameboy, whereas N is absolute midi note, with N00 being a midi note kill command)

Also, if you're gonna have a gameboy doing midiout, you're basically gonna have to have it be your master clock.

Last edited by Mrwimmer (Oct 20, 2014 1:10 am)

London, UK
Mrwimmer wrote:

Make sure your arduinoboy is in midiout mode, and the command you're looking for is Q00 (which sends a midi note relative to the note played on the gameboy, whereas N is absolute midi note, with N00 being a midi note kill command)

Also, if you're gonna have a gameboy doing midiout, you're basically gonna have to have it be your master clock.

Thanks for the info. I have tried Q00 but no lights on the arduinoboy. Im guessing there should be flashes for the notes?

Using the gb as the master is not an issue but if it cant sync with my drum machine that is programmed on the machine itself then thats annoying. The only other way I dreamt up was modding the gb so the start button is connected to the foot pedal start input on my drum machine
If I set the drum machine and the gb to the same tempo then pressing play on the gb should also press play on the drum machine. However this is never going to be as well syncd as on a midi clock...

Los Angeles, CA

Uhhh, gameboy definitely sends midi start/stop messages in midiout mode.  Your drum machine maybe doesn't accept midi start messages?

London, UK

the arduino is now flashing in time with the gb notes now i have changed to Q commands. Struggling to get anything out the c64 though. what is the default midi channels for pu1 pu2 wav and noi?

Mrwimmer wrote:

Uhhh, gameboy definitely sends midi start/stop messages in midiout mode.  Your drum machine maybe doesn't accept midi start messages?

im not sure to be honest, maybe so. how exactly does that message work? i assume it simply sends one message saying start (play). is there documentation anywhere online concerning what commands are needed in lsdj for each feature? rather than keep on with the newb questions...

:-)

London, UK

Anyone able to answer those last questions of mine please?

Los Angeles, CA

If I'm not mistaken, the standard midi channels are 1-2-3-4 for pu1, pu2, wav, and noi.

Start sends a play command, I don't know anything about your drum machine or c64 stuff at all, but in midiout mode in lsdj, pressing start sends a midi start message, and Aboy documentation can be found here https://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/

Cleveland, Ohio

You can change the Midi channels in the User Settings part of the Arduinoboy code, but be aware that 0 = channel 1 (1 = 2 and so on) for Midi note channels, but 1 = 1 for CC channels...

Also make sure you set alwaysUseDefaultSettings to True...