Chips & Dip :3
atomsmasha wrote:

this thing sucks and it makes me feel sad

i'm bothered by how strongly i dislike this repugnant assortment of atoms

^this^

IL, US

the issue, as stated above is that its representing itself as a musical instrument to make chip music with which is deceptive in a few ways.. we're all sort of bummed for anyone who buys it not knowing any better and annoyed at the people misrepresenting what it is.. if it was sold as a toy, no one would give a fuck

Last edited by e.s.c. (Oct 28, 2014 3:40 pm)

The thing that bothers me is that you can do this stuff for free and people spend SO much money on this thing. SOMEONE SPENT $500 ON THIS THING. $500!!!!

Minneapolis, MN
metatronaut wrote:

The thing that bothers me is that you can do this stuff for free and people spend SO much money on this thing. SOMEONE SPENT $500 ON THIS THING. $500!!!!

Hey, thats the problem with the human race, you cant stop stupid people from being stupid. tongue

TEOMAWKI wrote:
metatronaut wrote:

Hey, thats the problem with the human race, you cant stop stupid people from being stupid. tongue

True dat. tongue

Like seriously, grab a PSP, run an emulator with Chord AND BAM you have a LOFI SES for the price of whatever a PSP costs on eBay.

Italy
Imaginary wrote:

"Hackable"

lmao to me it looks like most people who develop "hackable" devices like this are doing it also to lower the production price (and add an appetizer for the "geek" market).
I mean, why paying for plastic shells and assembly if you can just sell your almost spare pcb at the same price and get more units sold?

Anyway, yeah, it pretty much sucks that these toys are getting attention while real trackers/consoles aren't...

... or maybe not. Going big isn't really what I actually would like for the chip scene... I guess cm.o's been talking a lot about it already

TSSBAY01
danimal cannon wrote:

It's pretty much Beamz, except a game controller instead of lasers.

but dave jr said it was cool!

Playboy Man-Baby
tempsoundsolutions wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

It's pretty much Beamz, except a game controller instead of lasers.

but dave jr said it was cool!

You guys are talkin' about the U-force, right?

buffalo, NY
DeerPresident wrote:

I play the guitar, and I am SERIOUSLY pissed about this Guitar Hero thing. It even got some attention in non-guitar forums and magazines. Now any kid can just buy the talent that I worked so hard for. sad Just who do they think they are misrepresenting something that is special to ME?

How does this TOY affect any of your musical output?

Fallacy of false equivalence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

Los Angeles, CA
e.s.c. wrote:

the issue, as stated above is that its representing itself as a musical instrument to make chip music with which is deceptive in a few ways.. we're all sort of bummed for anyone who buys it not knowing any better and annoyed at the people misrepresenting what it is.. if it was sold as a toy, no one would give a fuck

A kickstarter product? Misrepresenting itself?  I never.

How is this a thing to give even one fuck about?  Are you guys seriously insecure enough in your craft that you think this will ever outperform any of you?  This is not for us. 

If someone new finds chip through this, whoop-dee-doo.  They get bored of it and write it off, or they wanna go deeper and learn a tracker.  Maybe someone uses it for the one potentially cool song it can make.

I think we're gonna be okay.  This isn't going to take our tools away.

Last edited by Mrwimmer (Oct 28, 2014 6:21 pm)

lofi ses seems exceedingly lame but more in a funny way than a frustrating way

honestly anyone who wants to spend $500 on a bright red game controller that makes noise beats probably deserves to have $500 less thann they have right now anyway

kickstarter is weird!

maybe we could kickstart an outreach campaign that puts links to famitracker.exe on engadget dot com

Indiana
Mrwimmer wrote:

How is this a thing to give even one fuck about?  Are you guys seriously insecure enough in your craft that you think this will ever outperform any of you?  This is not for us. 

If someone new finds chip through this, whoop-dee-doo.  They get bored of it and write it off, or they wanna go deeper and learn a tracker.  Maybe someone uses it for the one potentially cool song it can make.

I think we're gonna be okay.  This isn't going to take our tools away.

this seems like a bit of a straw man; i don't think anybody is concerned about like personal competition? i think my degree of investment in anything i read on cm.o really only ever reaches a certain threshold. i'm not burning a lofi ses effigy every night.

that being said, i do think it's worth giving at least one fuck about the attitude that allows a product like this to be popular and successful. it's no fun when chipmusic is essentially reduced to an ultra-simplistic, gimmicky little device like this. it does a disservice to a lot of our music (yours too!), to suggest that this little device is the method through chipmusic is produced.

it also seems to kind of reinforce the suggestion that chipmusic is some arcane and inaccessible feat that really needs to be dumbed down if the average musician wants to participate. chipmusic is really easy to get into, and this thing puts a visible face on chipmusic, that i think most of us would agree is negative

Last edited by Fudgers (Oct 28, 2014 6:54 pm)

IL, US

i think there's a lot of projecting going on to assume someone in "insecure" just because they make a statement online about a product being stupid and misrepresenting itself in its sales pitch... i dont think anyone said or thinks this is somehow making what they do less valid or anything of the sort, just that its sort of a shitty thing in general, especially for the price

Los Angeles, CA
Fudgers wrote:

that being said, i do think it's worth giving at least one fuck about the attitude that allows a product like this to be popular and successful. it's no fun when chipmusic is essentially reduced to an ultra-simplistic, gimmicky little device like this. it does a disservice to a lot of our music (yours too!), to suggest that this little device is the method through chipmusic is produced.

Nobody but us gives a fuck about our processes, no matter how many people ask you what your gameboy is doing.  This shitty little boring device in no way does a disservice to any chip musician.

Once again, it's not taking your tools away.  It's gonna be okay, guys, we'll all forget about this in a year when nothing's happened with it at all.