Atlanta, GA

I just hacked together a cable for CV sync between my DMG-01 running Nanoloop1.7.2 and my Volca Beats. The external midi sync is coming from my kaoss pad 3, but that is more important for me than for anyone else.

Here's a video of me testing out my "expertly crafted" sync cable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEvS4TPWSfU

Check out the other features listed in the update including MIDI master sync out from NL2.7.6 and a few other features as well as a diagram on how to hack your own cables together for this wonderfully simple solution *^_^*

http://www.nanoloop.com/update/

Love,
-NoyzBot

Last edited by BitFlourish (May 5, 2015 5:03 am)

Melbourne

Hmm, I've been looking into this actually, I ended up ordering the IC to make this:
http://little-scale.blogspot.com.au/200 … -sync.html

.. but I guess this means I don't need it now? Does the MIDI adaptor described on the nanoloop site allow for the GBA to act as slave (since it has an input as well as an output)? Guess I'll find out! I'm gonna try it with my GB micro sync cable, if I can tell what the pin assignments are.

Atlanta, GA

I'm not sure how it'll work on micro, but if you can snag a pin out, I'd love to see it done.

You are correct in that you no longer need the IC for nanoloop since it now has the code in place to handle direct CV. I'm trying to get midi working correctly since it would be nice to not go through my AB and KP3 to link to my Volca with NL2 as master.

Currently, I am having issues with nl1 CV in that I appear to be getting half resolution. 16 steps on the volca = 8 steps in NL1... that may need some tweaking on olly's part or I have done something horribly wrong.

Last edited by BitFlourish (May 5, 2015 6:44 am)

Melbourne

Oh great! I have two of the OXY-008 cables; I'm planning to dissect one and use half as a CV/MIDI sync cable and attempt to make a GBM -> DMG/CGB link cable with the other half (I'm sure I saw a tutorial on here for that exact thing). The problem I'm having is getting my multimeter's probes to touch the tiny contacts on the plug! After that I guess it'll be smooth sailing once I figure out the pinouts.

Can you just put the volca in half time mode? I only have the Keys though so I'm not sure if half time mode is exclusive to that particular unit.

Melbourne

Oh wait, how recent is this update? I received my cart in feb, was there an update since then? The website is a little hard to understand.

NorthTtrrrway

this is a great update!

by the way, for the micro cable, check this, might help:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1361/ … ync-tests/

Unsubscribe
BitFlourish wrote:

Currently, I am having issues with nl1 CV in that I appear to be getting half resolution. 16 steps on the volca = 8 steps in NL1... that may need some tweaking on olly's part or I have done something horribly wrong.

Thats because the volcas only send/receive a eighth-note pulse versus a 16th note pulse of everything else. Maybe he can add a Korg Clock setting, or clock divider/mults options.

Unsubscribe

Also id love to have this in LSDJ... i bet it would work well with the piggytracker click sync hack!

Atlanta, GA
herr_prof wrote:
BitFlourish wrote:

Thats because the volcas only send/receive a eighth-note pulse versus a 16th note pulse of everything else. Maybe he can add a Korg Clock setting, or clock divider/mults options.

I hope he does so and doesn't just focus on 2.7.6's MIDI as master since I just kinda don't use that since I have an arduinoboy hooked up to my KP3

Unsubscribe

or you can sequence all your songs in double time groove but half tempo big_smile

Atlanta, GA
herr_prof wrote:

or you can sequence all your songs in double time groove but half tempo big_smile

I -could- do that, but I -could- run out of space just trying to keep up with the breakneck pace of the volca... especially since I have to program the volca at double resolution i.e. only half of the sequencer is even useful ._.;

this is the thing I made today using it, note how limited my options were on programming it compared to everything else I make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeOB99YFDMI

Unsubscribe

I thought the nanoloop had tempo dividers for the speed of the loops? The real answer is for oliver to add tempo dividers/mults in the speed settings but its not really a deal break imo.

honestly if you use a burst of looped noise in 8th notes I've found it can trigger cv of most anything

tested only using an unmodded DMG, though!

Last edited by an0va (May 5, 2015 8:04 pm)

Unsubscribe

yea but then you lose both that noise channel, and stereo sound!

Atlanta, GA
herr_prof wrote:

I thought the nanoloop had tempo dividers for the speed of the loops? The real answer is for oliver to add tempo dividers/mults in the speed settings but its not really a deal break imo.

The problem with that (for me) is that nl2 responds directly to the bpm from my kp3 but both can go down to 1/8 speed per pattern. The problem lies in wanting to go above 150BPM on any track since my clock master only goes up to 300, at which point, my volca is useless as a rhythm box and only works as a noise machine.

Melbourne
the mist toggles wrote:

this is a great update!

by the way, for the micro cable, check this, might help:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1361/ … ync-tests/

Yeah, I've been looking at that thread. It's still a little hard to understand but I think it'll all fall into place once my DMG cable comes and I can just experiment with pin configurations. I did manage to get my multimeter's probes on to the contacts of the micro plug though, so now I've figured out the colour coding of the OXY-008's wires! I might see if I can wire it up to some kind of universal 6-pin connector (if there is one?) so I can swap out DMG/CGB/MIDI/CV plugs with ease. Could be an interesting project!