PDX

For those who frequently play chip music live, how long are your sets, on average?

30 minutes, 45 minutes, an hour maybe. Anything more than that is usually too much of the same, and anything less is not really worth it usually.

Unsubscribe

As LONG AS THEY'LL LET ME PLAY

Then 10 more mins.

New York City

I played 2 hours of original material in Milan. Then I DJed for 2 more hours.
But if you play at New York they cut you at 20 minutes less than you agreed (HELLO THE ANNEX!)

tongue

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jun 14, 2010 9:42 pm)

Bronx, NY

Haha. 30 minutes seems to be the norm.

philly

25-40 is an ideal length for a normal set, with 30-35 being a pretty good cutoff if you're not headlining. There are exceptions, of course, but I feel like this is a pretty safe standard that applies to lots of music outside chip music. Most punk and indie bands going over 40 minutes would be overdoing it for a lot of settings.

IL, US

ive been known to play as little as 15-17 minutes, as much as two hours...sweet spot feels like 25-35 for me though

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I generally play music for 15 minutes and talk for 45.

hardcore, Australia

And play with the hole in your pants for 10.

Nashville, Tennessee

hmmm.... 30 minutes really does feel like a sweet spot, but if you're playing at a festival or rave or something bigger, then longer is certainly a better option. smile

Ciudad de méxico, MX

40 minutes is really nice, when there are more artists.

i've played 4 hours of chiptune+LGPT madness, no one complain (anyone but the sound guy tongue)

depends on crowd , if everyone is on drugz then 30 minss is definetly too short ; D
but if crowd is moar into listening then 30-39 mins is enuff !

Unsubscribe

This thread illustrates the difference between us rock club driven culture versus European club based culture.

New York City

If you are going to play shitty game boy music then spare my ears and don't play more than 15 minutes. tongue

To me I feel like there's no time to build anything in 30 minutes, unless you put too much too soon. A proper set takes time to develop (hello euro club culture, Peter xD), otherwise it feels rushed.
I feel sometimes there's too much energy concentrated in too little time and I don't get to enjoy what could have happened if time was not a barrier, specially when you see thers play. When I play, I HATE to feel like the clock is ticking.

45 + encore is probably my standard, bearing in mind you get variety in there and keep the energy high I'd say that's pretty much perfect, though it depends on the artist. A more dancefloor oriented set could easily last for 2 or 3 times that.

Last edited by Stevens (Jun 15, 2010 1:25 pm)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
godinpants wrote:

And play with the hole in your pants for 10.

Gotta fill time somehow. ;-)