Turku, FIN

This is so awesome! We will definitely use this at our lisäelämä parties.

Would it be hard to make different grid sizes? That might look awesome.

WOW MAN!

OK, so it didn't take me too long to roughly knock up the rhythm recording;

To start/continue recording - hold SELECT and tap A in time with your music
To end recording and start playback - hold SELECT and tap B

It's not perfect, still need to work out why it's not flashing when you hit B (as it should) and it could do with a retard key (maybe hold SELECT briefly to slow the flashing) but the idea is cool. Tried it with a few tracks, tapping out different patterns and it looks brilliant in time with music big_smile

Oh, and it's limited to 32 taps. If you do more before tapping (SELECT+) B it will wrap back to the first one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5493868/litewall9.nes

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Jul 17, 2010 9:43 am)

Have you run it with music for over a minute? I had to do quite a bit to get even a simple tempo to stay in sync.

WOW MAN!
blargg wrote:

Have you run it with music for over a minute? I had to do quite a bit to get even a simple tempo to stay in sync.

I'm only capturing the button taps at 60hz so it will never stay exactly right (unless you're really lucky smile)

That's one reason I suggested slurring the playback by holding SELECT - it then gives you the ability to tweak the timing on the fly if you see it drifting out (OK, only one way but hey).

Works well if you tap along to a (NTSC) NES song obviously because it's based on the same timing system. Works better better still if you reduce the timing resolution ( ANDing the delta to mask off the bottom bit or two).

Oh, I've updated litewall9 to remove the colour cycling background - that was a debugging feature that I forgot to take out. Oops big_smile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5493868/litewall9.nes

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am)

thieveland ohio

awesome. i am really impressed. are you two planning on converging on one project or keeping the 2 seperate forked versions?

WOW MAN!

We have talked briefly about a convergence - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to maintain two.

However, our two approaches are currently slightly different. Blargg's is by far the best code base though - he's in a different league to me when it comes to technical coding, or any coding TBH smile He's also taking a more methodical approach - his code is aiming to create an engine for the litewall that can be used by other people (coding) and it's a great piece of work.

I don't have a great deal of time to spend on it and when I do it's currently easier for me to prototype ideas on my system. I'm just lazy - I should take the time to adopt Blargg's method really. The other factor is that while the technical stuff is in a state of flux, I'm a bit loathe to start converting all my FX code. That's where we are at the moment.

At some point we'll take the best ideas and merge them into Blargg's code.

Anaheim, California

these are all really fun to play with

Milwaukee, WI
blargg wrote:

I was going to say "not a chance", but now that I think about it, it wouldn't be so hard to implement the engine on the SNES, with an almost identical visual appearance. All the high-level pattern code would just work.

How many would benefit from being able to run this on a SNES? I suppose one immediate benefit is having more buttons on the controller. A drawback is that it's not pushing the SNES at all; piece of cake for it. It wouldn't be as interesting, and not as retro. Anyone else have an opinion or desire for a SNES version? Not just as a curiosity, but that would actually help them practically, over the current NES version.

I actually think it would be very cool.  This or a SNES specific visual program or audio thing.  Would make the SNES Powerpak much more worth buying!

philly

I would love to see an SNES version. Even if becomes something else all together that isn't impressive (in the same way) for breaking color rules, I'd love to see some visual demos for the SNES. Although you can put me in the 'curiosity' boat, I have an NES powerpak and not an SNES one currently. smile

The more I see neilbaldwin's new ideas, the more I think maybe we should keep our programs separate and merely share ideas (and perhaps some code, as I'm not sure how he's implemented some things like the snakes heh). We're each very familiar with our own code, and it differs, so that each offers different technical possibilities. It might help if we used my low-level engine for both, though, that way the effects would be easier to port to my framework.

BTW, to satisfy those who prefer an 8x8 grid, I'm thinking I can just have an option to black out the left and right columns. This would make it easy to handle 10x8 and 8x8 with virtually no extra coding hassle, and allow it to be changed via the controller.

Major update:

blargg_litewall-7.zip

Description of Litewall Controls

rochester, ny

man, i won't be home for hours. can't wait to try this out.

WOW MAN!

Outstanding dude, absolutely outstanding big_smile

I'd just documented all my code too but it looks like you've got all the bases covered with that update. You can still have it if you want, just let me know. I'm sure there's nothing in there that's beyond you though.

I'm officially bowing out. It's been awesome to be involved in this project, really good fun.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

wow...
the new version in intense!
great job!

brooklyn

Wow, this is turning out to be REALLY awesome!

Minneapolis

Whoah. Must download. Did you change mappers on me Blargg? smile