neilbaldwin, please don't bow out. At this point, I am going to give you the basic engine and let you continue developing patterns. My idea is that you write them for the core engine, but not using my whole framework, so that you aren't limited to what it can do. I figure that using the core engine will allow me to port your work over to the framework easily enough. This way you can be much more flexible, yet still collaborate. Please do pass along your code, so I can get a better idea of your style and cater what I send to that. Anyway, I'm going to put together that and at least let you give it a try, no obligation. I'm hoping this is just the beginning pattern-wise. Now that the framework is really featured, we can add many more patterns and transitions, and shapes.

arfink, yeah, I changed it to MMC1, but, it will work fine with UNROM like before. I merely did this because many emulators and perhaps the PowerPak won't enable SRAM and won't battery-back it if it's UNROM. My devcart is only UNROM, and it works fine there. I specifically ensured it would work with UNROM because someone mentioned making it into a physical cart, and I wanted to be sure that wouldn't be hampered. If you lack battery-backed RAM, then it will of course start with the default pattern setup. You can hold any button and press reset to configure it. Pressing reset does NOT reset the pattern setup, so you can always adjust the setup with reset at any time.

Regarding the tempo tap feature. I've gotten it to sync really well with music. I've found that the best way to use it is to tap out the first 8 or so beats of music (more don't help), then say ten or so seconds later, tap a couple of beats (but not more than 4). Then ten or so seconds later, a couple more. After about a minute of this, it stays synced quite well without any help. The idea is to just tap a couple of fine-tune beats every once in a while, when you have a free moment. The way the algorithm works, it remembers the first beat of the 8-beat initial taps, and remembers how many beats there have been since then, so that it can divide the total time by the number of beats (which will be over a hundred after a minute), giving a very accurate internal BPM. If it's ever not getting the beat, or the tempo changed, you can always just start over and tap out 8 or so beats again to start with a fresh internal BPM. I'm pleased with how robust this algorithm has worked out in testing.

Also, it might not be evident, but the second configuration screen allows the list of patterns to be contracted in case you don't want some patterns to ever show, or expanded in case you want a pattern more than once in the sequence, or want it to be more likely to be selected by the random pattern function (A + Select).

Last edited by blargg (Jul 20, 2010 4:16 am)

Riverside, CA

Blargg, will you marry me?

Tokyo, Japan

I took lightwall out for a spin at a show over the weekend. Its SO much fun to use! That is Xinon, cleaning up at cheapbeats with I think Niels Lightewall 8?

Photo by Cyril Despontin

I haven't had any time to mess with the newer versions yet including Blarggs beast of an update, Will do soon though!

Minneapolis

NICE. My SRAM backed MMC1 cart should be done soon so I can play too.

I needed some variety, so I made a rough port to the SNES. No config screen, but otherwise seems faithful. Should work in an emulator like bsnes.
blargg_litewall-7-snes.zip

WOW MAN!
blargg wrote:

I needed some variety, so I made a rough port to the SNES. No config screen, but otherwise seems faithful. Should work in an emulator like bsnes.
blargg_litewall-7-snes.zip

Utter legend big_smile

Tokyo, Japan

Blargg, you are an animal!!!

Would it be possible to get an extra 4 shapes with double tapping the directions? I was thinking maybe

- Lined Squares (I loved the max headroomy vibe they had on one of the earlier versions)
- Rounded squares, with the corners smoothed off
- Tiny squares (either divided by lines like in one of Niels versions or just about 50 percent smaller squares?)
- Hexagons?

I think that would really be so much fun. I had a whole load of feed back about what I think was litewall 6 which is all pretty much invalid since the release of litewall 7 so I will have a practice then give more feed back.

Once again sir, thank you so very very much for this.

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am)

Rounded squares, I like that. I was thinking of also adding an optional dissolve between shapes. I just haven't figured out a decent algorithm to do that. For double-tap, I want to avoid having the first shape show first. I could have it wait a half-second after you press B+direction, so that it can tell whether it's a single or double-tap, but then you can't do single taps in time with the music. Maybe you could tap B, then hold it, and access the second four.

Similar to the above button interpretation, I was considering making presses of Start, Select, B, and A alone be configurable to do anything. Currently they don't do anything if you don't press them in combination with anything. We could even use A+B as modifiers, for even more. Perhaps A+B+U/D/L/R/Select/Start could all be configurable too. If the SNES version proves useful as an alternate version to some people, that of course has four extra buttons as well.

I also really like Neil's palette selection. I'm thinking I could have something like that selectable by Select+L/R (currently that just adjusts the background color when inversion is enabled).

I want to add lots more patterns, so many that you HAVE to pare them down in the config screen. This way you will choose the ones you like best, and customize your presentation more. I don't have to be as picky with them, so you'd get more to choose from. A lot of my patterns use tables, rather than code, so they're very easy to make.

Milwaukee, WI

Righteous.  SNES is cool!

Venezuela

ppfff!! you guys are machines!!!! really thx boths for doing this :DDDDD this is usefull for shows! ^^ it just need more variety of shapes

i had a crazy idea.... is there is anyway possible to mix this with a nintendo pad + nes zapper??? like.....
you shoot a square, line, shape or whatever. and it can be turned OFF and ON every time you do it... or it can change color, or maybe if you shoot them, you can flip the direction of the movement.

Dont knwo how hard is that of even if is possible to do it!... but i can imagine the result!! XDD a VJ, shooting around as mad!!!! XDDDDDD.
thx again!... hope boths project keep going and growing!...

rochester, ny
ui wrote:

ppfff!! you guys are machines!!!! really thx boths for doing this :DDDDD this is usefull for shows! ^^ it just need more variety of shapes

i had a crazy idea.... is there is anyway possible to mix this with a nintendo pad + nes zapper??? like.....
you shoot a square, line, shape or whatever. and it can be turned OFF and ON every time you do it... or it can change color, or maybe if you shoot them, you can flip the direction of the movement.

Dont knwo how hard is that of even if is possible to do it!... but i can imagine the result!! XDD a VJ, shooting around as mad!!!! XDDDDDD.
thx again!... hope boths project keep going and growing!...

i have no idea how possible this is but yeah i agree that would be really cool.

WOW MAN!

I don't know much about the nes zapper but I reckon that would be pretty easy to do.

Blargg's probably doing it right now whilst saving the world with his other hand.

smile

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Jul 22, 2010 3:33 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Litewall and nonononononononono

by 5might

Minneapolis

Only one problem with the zapper- you can't use it except with tube TVs! So if you wanted to do that with a projector you'd have to have a second tube TV set up somewhere specifically for shooting at. But it could work.

Tokyo, Japan

Forgive me for being utterly clueless on the subject but why does it need to be a tube TV? would LED monitors work?

BK

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/19 … .Eg.r.html

This sheds a little light on the mechanism that makes the light gun work. You need a monitor that shoots electrons out towards the viewer, so I'm guessing an LED monitor wouldn't be usable.  Maybe a small portable TV on the vj's table would work though...

Also I have to say this project is amazing, I tried it last night and it's a lot of fun.  Blargg, would you happen to know a good resource for someone interested in learning how to port other NES ASM code over to SNES? I'm interested in possibly porting some of NO-CARRIER's open source work to the SNES, if I ever get my ASM knowledge up to speed.