Tokyo, Japan

Blargg very quick question, are there any differences between the SNES and NES versions? I assume the SNES has a vastly superior palette?

Minneapolis
Lazerbeat wrote:

Forgive me for being utterly clueless on the subject but why does it need to be a tube TV? would LED monitors work?

Not do be redundant here, since this has kinda been answered, but the reason not given in the article is that you have to be able to pick up infrared light which comes from a scanning electron beam. While some LCD and projectors do have somewhat of an IR component in their light source, it isn't as much as a tube TV and it isn't produced as a moving beam. Tracking the beam movement is critical to the working of the lightgun, and is impossible with anything else.

However, a simple Y adapter placed in the composite signal could route to a portable tube TV which could then be used for shooting at.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

blargg,
amazing work! again!

arfink wrote:

However, a simple Y adapter placed in the composite signal could route to a portable tube TV which could then be used for shooting at.

i just dont think that would be as appealing..
since the vj would be pointing at a little tv, which might not even be visible to the people at the show, i think the effect will be lost.
maybe just having an animation of the "tiles" randomly exploding would be better.

Central-ish VA
blargg wrote:

I needed some variety, so I made a rough port to the SNES. No config screen, but otherwise seems faithful. Should work in an emulator like bsnes.
blargg_litewall-7-snes.zip

I for one am a firm believer in the SNES and it hurts me to see so few things developed for it.  You sir, are legendary.

Beverage wrote:

I for one am a firm believer in the SNES

YES YES YES, and is there a flash cart for them yet?

BK
waffle_bomb wrote:
Beverage wrote:

I for one am a firm believer in the SNES

YES YES YES, and is there a flash cart for them yet?

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph … ucts_id=84

The SNES version is intended to run exactly the same. I tried to match the palette to the NES version, though it came out slightly different. It's the same code as the NES version, save for the lowest level part that handles the lights on screen. I simply ported that to the SNES. The rest of the code doesn't even know that it's running on a SNES. Porting other NES demos might be more difficult, if they make use of NES stuff all over the place. This just happened to be really well-separated.

I don't plan on making the SNES version take advantage of anything SNES-specific besides maybe the extra controller buttons. As we discussed before, this really isn't impressive on the SNES, given its technical abilities. It had absolutely no trouble, and I didn't even need to do any carefully-timed code. The main idea is just in case you don't have a NES and PowerPak (or equivalent), but do have a SNES and programmable cartridge.

BTW, there is a way to make a really cheap ($40 at most) programmable cart for the NES/SNES that can only run special progrrams made for it; I've sent a message to someone here who might be able to help build them.

Tokyo, Japan
Lazerbeat wrote:

Litewall and nonononononononono

by 5might

super sick!

And, just noticed that your avatar is a mini light-wall. props!!

New shapes and slightly smoother animation. Hold B and press Select to toggle which of the four the next B+U/D/L/R will be from. For example, to get the SMB brick after beginning, hold B and press Select, then Up (while still holding B).

blargg_litewall-8.zip

EDIT: just to be clear, that's four separate screenshots, not a single one. Though it might be neat to make a kaleidoscope pattern...

Last edited by blargg (Jul 23, 2010 2:36 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

freaking amazing!

BK
blargg wrote:

BTW, there is a way to make a really cheap ($40 at most) programmable cart for the NES/SNES that can only run special progrrams made for it; I've sent a message to someone here who might be able to help build them.

YES YES YES YES oh my goodness YES. This would be incredible.

Minneapolis

Glad you think so. HEHEHEHEHE!

Unsubscribe

Ok the devs have swayed my initial misgivings.. this thing is really looking cool

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

Ok the devs have swayed my initial misgivings.. this thing is really looking cool

ditto, nice work guys smile
this shit looks more appealing than the orig wall ever did

Anaheim, California
cheapshot wrote:

freaking amazing!

BK
arfink wrote:

Glad you think so. HEHEHEHEHE!

please let us know when this is doable - a cheaper alternative to the powerpak would definitely be a big help for people who want to get into NTRQ/Famitracker, Pulsar, and NES visuals