Chicago IL

so ive been listening to some nsfs in moonshell, and it seems to automatically put pulse 1 in the left channel and pulse 2 in the right (same for the vrc6 pulse channels if youre using them). this would be kind of cool for recording purposes, if you wrote specifically for it to be played in this nsf player, but i cant find an option to turn it off. any one know how to fix this? i'd like to use it as a compact way to play .nsf files live

also i think it adds a little bit of reverb, but that might just be my bad ears.

philly

Ah, unfortunately it's been forever since I used moonshell. I put it on my DS at least 3 years ago and probably had an older version anyways, but I don't recall there being panning options available. I did make a nifty looking SMB3 themed skin for myself though -

Note the power meter as the progress bar! lol Anyways, sorry I don't have any useful information. big_smile

As far as panning goes, notsofatso is great for that! It has sliders for every channel including every expansion, giving you the most detailed panning control you could ask for (asides from something like envelopes that change, which would only make sense in a DAW anyways).

Chicago IL

yeah, i cant find much documentation, and trying to do anything in preferences means i have to quit, and there's no NSF options. i uploaded this as an example of how it pans

http://chipmusic.org/saskrotch/music/famibeats

i'm mostly looking at easy ways to play NSFs live without using a laptop or NES, no notsofatso won't do me much good. all searches for nsf player NDS just link to moonshell, so i think its my only option.

philly

Yeah, I think you're stuck with moonshell. There's rockbox if you don't mind modding an ipod, but the quality of the nsf playback is pretty poor. Sometimes the noise is super loud... moonshell is the better of the two.

Unsubscribe

why not just play wav files? You can make a rendered wav file in a daw of the channels panned however you want them...

http://sites.google.com/site/gorgull/home2

Mix it in this and get even more live control.

Venezuela

Saskroach, the moonshell use notsofatso as a plug-in (if i remember), so i think thats why is like that, is the default config/setup. Dont know if you can modify that. if you own a DS/DSLITE you can try DS Organize (some ppl just hate it) but it play few chip formats, as sid, sndh (really shittie), mod, and of course nsf. Some how the DS Organize dont work fine on my R4i.
here is the link
http://www.dragonminded.com/?loc=ndsdev/DSOrganize

I mainly use the old moonshell version to playback nsf and sap files. The new moonshell dont let to go forward or backward in a multi-track nsf, or i just dont know how. But seens like there is not option in any of the moonshell version sad

@herr_prof, i suppose he dont want to convert each file to wav/mp3. And if you dont own a cart with SDHC support, then you will run out of space really fast! XD...

Chicago IL

cant get protein to work on my flash card (even after dldi patching)

Chicago IL
ui wrote:

The new moonshell dont let to go forward or backward in a multi-track nsf, or i just dont know how. But seens like there is not option in any of the moonshell version sad

i'm using 1.6 right now, it supports multi track nsfs

Venezuela
Saskrotch wrote:

yah, but howthefuck you jump to the next track!?? ( i mean on 2.0+ sorry XD)... i cant find teh way jump to the next track as the old version (i have 1.71).

Hope the DS organize helped you.

Chicago IL
ui wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

yah, but howthefuck you jump to the next track!?? ( i mean on 2.0+ sorry XD)... i cant find teh way jump to the next track as the old version (i have 1.71).

Hope the DS organize helped you.

no idea, in my version they show up as like

whatever.nsf:0
whatever.nsf:1
whatever.nsf:2
etc

Melbourne, Australia
Saskrotch wrote:

i'd like to use it as a compact way to play .nsf files live.

Couldn't you just pan both channels center using your mixer if you're doing it live?

Chicago IL

all pulse channels would be quieter then the rest, since the tri/noise/dpcm would be doubled up. i already write my nsfs with quiet pulse channels so the triangle is as loud as possible

Geneva, NY

Shit, nigel.  I just snooped around in moonshell's config files and I see nothing.  That's blowy.

FWIW, the protein folder HAS to be in the root dir to work. I'm guessing you probably tried that, but I figure I'd throw that out there just in case.

Dingoo's are cheap and I think they would do the trick wink

Venezuela

@bleo, no the proteinDS sample folder can be in whatever the NDS file is. You can have it in your root or in a folder but the other folders such as Sample, Record, Voice, etc. Need to be with the proteinds.nds.

@Saskroatch, did you tried DS Organize?. I think it dont do PAN of the sound. I tested with the same NSF in moonshell and DS Organize and the moonshell do the pan aswell but the DS Organize dont do it.

hope that help! XD

Milan, Italy

moonshell is just a player..
why dont you record your nfs using a laptop or NES, and than just play live your mp3s from the DS?

San Francisco
arottenbit wrote:

moonshell is just a player..
why dont you record your nfs using a laptop or NES, and than just play live your mp3s from the DS?

cuz thats cheating. chiptune is all about doing things the hard way..... the ridiculously hard way...