South Dakota, United States

So I have a GP2X F200 running LGPT and wanted to know if it was possible to sync that with one of my gameboys running LSDJ. I picked up a nanoloop USB-MIDI adapter ( http://www.nanoloop.com/midi/index.html ) the other day and I'm just waiting for that to show up. If I used that to try and sync LSDJ with LGPT would it work?

Detroit, Michigan

I've never used the nano midi adapter, but to sync DMG to GP2x I use a piggy=>midi box and an Arduinoboy (http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/piggy-midi-diy-kit)

Last edited by snesei (Dec 14, 2015 1:37 pm)

IL, US

you can use the piggy->midi and one of these to handle the steps in between the gp2x f200 and the nanoloop usb midi adapter... while gp2x has usb capabilities, it does not work directly with usb midi devices sadly

IL, US

though you can use the nanoloop usb midi adapter directly in the usb port of either a raspberry pi or windows machine running piggy tracker

e.s.c. wrote:

you can use the piggy->midi and one of these to handle the steps in between the gp2x f200 and the nanoloop usb midi adapter... while gp2x has usb capabilities, it does not work directly with usb midi devices sadly

ohhh ok. I was hoping that I would have been able to somewhat use it as a drum machine with LSDJ but ohhh well xD

e.s.c. wrote:

though you can use the nanoloop usb midi adapter directly in the usb port of either a raspberry pi or windows machine running piggy tracker

So just to make sure I read this right, I can't sync with the GP2X, but I can with a PC or Raspberry PI when using the nanoloop usb midi adapter right? Sorry the whole syncing process confuses me a bit.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had serious trouble ever getting the nanoloop usb-midi device working with LSDJ, btw. I tried to troubleshoot it with Wittchow but it seems to not function for sync with newer versions of LSDJ. Perhaps a very old version would work.

jefftheworld wrote:

I had serious trouble ever getting the nanoloop usb-midi device working with LSDJ, btw. I tried to troubleshoot it with Wittchow but it seems to not function for sync with newer versions of LSDJ. Perhaps a very old version would work.

Alright I'll have to try that out. I planed on picking up nanoloop one here soon anyways so I could try out the sequencer and see how I like it. So if all else fails, at least the USB MIDI adapter wouldn't go to waist haha.

IL, US
YukiKakushi wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

ohhh ok. I was hoping that I would have been able to somewhat use it as a drum machine with LSDJ but ohhh well xD

e.s.c. wrote:

So just to make sure I read this right, I can't sync with the GP2X, but I can with a PC or Raspberry PI when using the nanoloop usb midi adapter right? Sorry the whole syncing process confuses me a bit.

you can, just you would need two devices in between them if using the gp2x version of piggy tracker (that cost about $200). no other devices needed if you use either the pi or windows version of piggy tracker instead (though with windows some people have slight issues with latency)

was unaware of the lsdj issues reported here, i've used it with both nanoloop (versions 1.3, 1.7 & 2.3) and mGB without issues though..
the nice thing about using the windows version (at least for final recordings) is that you can run it with the -FILESPLITRT option, which gives you a wav file of each channel of piggy tracker so you can mix them in a DAW and make adjustments to each separately as needed (i usually do eq adjustments on each channel then also on the master mix)

e.s.c. wrote:

you can, just you would need two devices in between them if using the gp2x version of piggy tracker (that cost about $200). no other devices needed if you use either the pi or windows version of piggy tracker instead (though with windows some people have slight issues with latency)

was unaware of the lsdj issues reported here, i've used it with both nanoloop (versions 1.3, 1.7 & 2.3) and mGB without issues though..
the nice thing about using the windows version (at least for final recordings) is that you can run it with the -FILESPLITRT option, which gives you a wav file of each channel of piggy tracker so you can mix them in a DAW and make adjustments to each separately as needed (i usually do eq adjustments on each channel then also on the master mix)

Ohhh ok I see. $200 is quite a bit at the moment, but it would be nice to have eventually. I'm probably just gonna use windows for now and play around with that. I still haven't played around in piggy tracker that much so hopefully it's similar in functionality as it is in looks with LSDJ. Plus the -FILESPLITRT option sounds vary useful.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

$200!? The Piggy MIDI kit from Kitsch is $20 and an arduinoboy certainly won't be anywhere near $180! You're probably talking about $40-60 for both the piggy-midi device and the arduinoboy, plus $10-15 more for the USB host shield.

EDIT: Or, if you already have a MIDI-based arduinoboy, grab a raspi and a cheap USB-MIDI adaptor and plug both the piggy-midi and arduinoboy into that, for way less that $200.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm)

I believe he's referring to this along with with the arduinoboy

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ … host.shtml

Last edited by YukiKakushi (Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
YukiKakushi wrote:

I believe he's referring to this

That seems insanely expensive. As I mentioned in my post, you could grab an inexpensive USB-MIDI adaptor and plug it into a raspi for the same effect and save a lot of money.

jefftheworld wrote:

That seems insanely expensive. As I mentioned in my post, you could grab an inexpensive USB-MIDI adaptor and plug it into a raspi for the same effect and save a lot of money.

Yea that's true. Although I do feel a bit intimidated by the arduinoboy's cause all of this diy hardware stuff is new to me, but that would definitely cut down on costs. I'm guessing though most of it is all fairly simple to setup and use?

IL, US
YukiKakushi wrote:

I believe he's referring to this along with with the arduinoboy

actually this plus piggy->midi.. an assembled one runs about $60-75 and the kenton box is around $140.. yes an arduinoboy is cheaper, but i was stating what he'd need to use the nanoloop usb midi as he was asking

IL, US
YukiKakushi wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Yea that's true. Although I do feel a bit intimidated by the arduinoboy's cause all of this diy hardware stuff is new to me, but that would definitely cut down on costs. I'm guessing though most of it is all fairly simple to setup and use?

and like i said, rasberry pi and the adapter you have, -plus a game boy link cable should be all you'd need if you're comfortable getting a pi set up (its not too hard)
jefftheworld: if you read word for word what i wrote, it should make sense what i'm talking about.. also, the $20 kit includes on the pcb and cable (which needs re-pinning), no actual components, din jack or PIC.. i'd imagine someone just getting into this isn't going to want to build his own arduinoboy and piggy midi box

Last edited by e.s.c. (Dec 14, 2015 7:19 pm)

IL, US
jefftheworld wrote:

EDIT: Or, if you already have a MIDI-based arduinoboy, grab a raspi and a cheap USB-MIDI adaptor and plug both the piggy-midi and arduinoboy into that, for way less that $200.

no arduinoboy or usb midi adapter needed, he HAS the nanoloop usb midi adapter which should do the trick