York, Yorkshire

I'm looking for a live mixer, suitable for my live rig as well as jamming/writing in the home studio.  Not bothered about full stereo as most venues run mono anyway :

1 x DMG (split stereo) = 2 channels
1 x Sammichsid  = 1 channel
1 x Virus  = 1 channel
1 x RM1x = 1 channel
These three may be interchangeable depending on the gig
1 x vox = 1 channel
1 x Digital Piano = 1 channel
1 x Guitar/Bass = 1 channel

So I recon from that I'm best off with a 12 channel with at least 6 faders. I'll need some on board FX too, basic reverb and tempo delay.  The main options I think, in order of price :

Behringer Xenyx 1204FX Link
I know Behringer is a bit Marmite, but at this price, it's hard to ignore.  From what little reviews and feedback I've seen, the latest gen acutally seem alright. It has 6 faders and lots of routing options, so should do the trick.
Mackie ProFX12 Link
For only another £60, there's this Mackie.  They aren't famous for being cheap, so my concern here is that the build quality might not be "all that".  I've no idea how good the FX are on this beastie.
Allen & Heath ZED 12FX Link
There's quite a jump in price here. But from what I hear, this is the bees knees. Good FX, Good routing options. Good sound. Good internals.  And it's made in the UK, which is nice smile
Mackie CFX12 MKII Link
I don't know much about this, but it's only slightly more than the A&H.  That said, it's more than double the price of the Xenyx.
EDIT:
Soundcraft EFX12 Multi-Purpose Mixer with Lexicon Effects Link
This is my current favourite, although it's a bit larger than the others as it has a fader for every channel.  The Lexicon FX sounds blissful, and this

is a important factor in my choice. It has lots of parameters which can be adjusted and tap tempo too.
Any advice/opinion welcomed.  (appreciated even more if based on actual experience rather than rumour wink )

Cheers Guys!

Last edited by BitPop (Jul 6, 2010 8:06 am)

England

my advise is that if you are going to be slinging this in a bag, carrying it about, bumping it about, dropping it, spilling drinks near it, you go for the cheapest that suits your live needs.

Last edited by Jellica (Jul 5, 2010 11:11 am)

York, Yorkshire

Sage advice!

A local muso I know has also recommended this :

Soundcraft EFX12 Multi-Purpose Mixer with Lexicon Effects Link

Last edited by BitPop (Jul 5, 2010 11:33 am)

York, Yorkshire

Got me thinking now Jellica....would be gutted spending that money on a mixer just to have beer spilled on it.

But then, the rest of my gear costs even more.....maybe I'll just stay in the studio? big_smile

New York City
BitPop wrote:

Behringer Xenyx 1204FX Link
I know Behringer is a bit Marmite, but at this price, it's hard to ignore.  From what little reviews and feedback I've seen, the latest gen acutally seem alright. It has 6 faders and lots of routing options, so should do the trick.

I had this one until I sold it to Natty. It also comes with a USB audio interface. At least, mine did.
For what I paid it served me well. Also stood touring rigueur, then again, I treated it really well when touring. I sold it to Natty almost new.
If I want something really good I'd get the Mackie, and that A&H sounds really good too.

The sound interface is really basic (1x stereo in, 1x stereo out) but serves its purpose and works well with the Behringer ASIO drivers on PC (and a bit slower on Mac)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 5, 2010 1:58 pm)

IL, US

im saddened/worried that you said most venues you deal with run mono, i find it incredibly uncool when a venue isnt at least set up for proper stereo
sad

Brunswick, GA USA
e.s.c. wrote:

im saddened/worried that you said most venues you deal with run mono, i find it incredibly uncool when a venue isnt at least set up for proper stereo
sad

I think if you want stereo in a rock venue you must ask for it. Playing keys with my friend's rock band the soundman usually only ever gave me one DI sad

Unsubscribe
Jellica wrote:

my advise is that if you are going to be slinging this in a bag, carrying it about, bumping it about, dropping it, spilling drinks near it,

Funny thats the reason id recommend a nice one big_smile

I have the Behringer Xenyx 1204FX and it pretty nice tongue

Tucson, AZ

I'd go for the Mackie ProFX12.

IL, US
Nullsleep wrote:

have you used one yet? i was planning to buy one, then they kept delaying release, so i got a vlz series instead...specifically curious if theyre as rugged as normal mackies

Melbtown, Lolstralia

I am considering one of these I know 10k has one... much hardier than most and a 5year warranty also kinda light which is something to think about

http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/ … g/MG82.asp

Currently I have some Ashton thing that is basically a Xenyx clone it works but is shit

York, Yorkshire
e.s.c. wrote:

im saddened/worried that you said most venues you deal with run mono, i find it incredibly uncool when a venue isnt at least set up for

proper stereo
sad

I assumed when I started gigging that everything would be stereo. It's been round since the 70s right?  Well, no.  Most venues (in my experience at at

least) are mono.

chunter wrote:

I think if you want stereo in a rock venue you must ask for it. Playing keys with my friend's rock band the soundman usually only ever

gave me one DI sad

You could ask, but I think in most cases they would look briefly down at the DMG in your hand before saying "No"

BRKCOREKID wrote:

I have the Behringer Xenyx 1204FX and it pretty nice tongue

Tell me more, what is the FX unit like?  Does it have decent adjustment?

Nullsleep wrote:

Yeah, that was my hot favourite, then I realised that the FX are not adjustable other than levels.  I want at least delay time adjust, if not tap

tempo!

Dot.AY wrote:

I am considering one of these I know 10k has one... much hardier than most and a 5year warranty also kinda light which is something to

think about
http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/ … g/MG82.asp

IL, US

i dont know, i think ive only run into mono sound at a venue three times in the last 30 or so gigs i've played...maybe i should stop complaining about chicago's clubs...our PA's may suck, but at least almost all of them can do stereo

metal shaker was the last place that didnt have a 2nd DI box, if i run into it much more, ill just get a fucking DI of my own to bring around to gigs in case i need it

yamaha mg series seem pretty solid, yatagarasu uses one and its survived a handful of tours..

York, Yorkshire

You've been lucky then, the venues I've been to took a stereo feed from us using two DIs, and the desk was stereo, but the amp was bridged/mono.  According the the sound guys I've spoken to,  this is pretty much the norm.  Perhaps it's just UK venues which suck?

England

the mono thing has happened twice with me, I'd say it's pretty damn rare though and has been down to  useless fucking sound engineers who doesnt have enough cables/DI boxes/brains. Seems to me that a lot sound guys don't have a fucking clue when presented with electronic music.

Deffo happened in Belguim one time and other in the UK, cant remember where though but i remember being really pissed off as all the bits on the left channel in my songs were missing.