Hi my name is hallucinoJENic...
I produce speedcore, but recently discorverd sound bending n really wanted to start using it for my trax.. I already have a shit load of toys n stuff to use but don't usderstand really how it works.. can iput it threw my mixer or laptop? I dont get were it goes from the toy to???? I know i most likley sound like a fucking dumbass.. Also if im lets say mixing vynil n i want to put sounds over that live how would that work... Please help me...

BOSTON

haha, no its not dumb... the toys aren't really meant to be used in that way, are they? so generally for recording you have to either mic them and sample the result, or solder in some sort of audio out from your toy and throw that through you DAW or mixer or whatever. if you dont have soldering skills yourself, there are many specialty shops online that will deck you out.

bending is a weird thing though, its like of like raising bonsai plants or something... you have to experiment a LOT and cultivate the sort of sounds you are looking for, especially if you are trying to blend it with other stuff. if you are doing it live, you have to understand that it WILL sound like utter shite 50% of the time (or simply fail), but the other 50% will be varying degrees of magic.

anyhoo, thats my 2 cents

hope that helps a little

Godzilladelph

i've been bending for about 2 years now, and i've found the easiest was to mic a toy is to hook a 1/4th guitar jack onto the speaker terminals and then just run a cable throught to your mixer. good luck man! it's awesome to see another bender in the chipscene, enjoy the bonzais wink

IL, US

yeah, add a 1/4" output to it and youll have no problem running it through ableton, your mixer, effects, etc..id be curious to hear what speedcore you work out with bent gear involved...

Melbourne, Australia

Usually you can just desolder both wires going to the toy's speaker then solder them to an audio jack of your choice, the most common being 1/4 inch mono. Then you can easily plug that into you mixer or whatever you want.

http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/ lots of useful beginner info in here.

Last edited by TmTgr (Jul 9, 2010 8:27 am)

Wellington, NZ

you can also start replacing resistors with potentiometers.  Make sure when you do this it isn't on the toys power supply board.

A gray world of dread

I seem to recall that low-gain mentioned to solder a capacitor to the jack line, in order to catch spikes. Can't give any more detailed instructions on that unfortunately, I'm a software guy. hmm

Central-ish VA
µB wrote:

I seem to recall that low-gain mentioned to solder a capacitor to the jack line, in order to catch spikes. Can't give any more detailed instructions on that unfortunately, I'm a software guy. hmm

I always do this just to make sure spikes don't nab me.  Also a potentiometer across one of the audio lines you're using from the speaker can work as a decent volume control as long as you're careful about quality (then again, circuitbending is noisy by definition anyway...).  Eventually I found that I had too much bent junk to use all at once and had to make my own little mixing device thing.  Keep exploring!

Melbourne, Australia
µB wrote:

It's a called a decoupling capacitor.

cheers! Cant wait to try it out!!!!!!!!!

Milwaukee, WI

I call troll. A "Fib3r Obtik" to be precise.

If someone has the know-how to make speedcore they:

A) Know (or don't give a shit) on how to "use a toy".
B) Don't type like an over-excited child (usually).
C) Certainly know how to use a mixer.

If you need help with this you have no idea what speedcore is. Fuck off.

A gray world of dread

I thought speedcore was just 300+ BPM hardcore techno (until it drifts into splittercore and extratone up there). Is bent hardware usual for producers?

uhajdafdfdfa
RG wrote:

I call troll. A "Fib3r Obtik" to be precise.

If someone has the know-how to make speedcore

Hold on? Speedcore requires know-how? "Know-how" as in "I know how to turn the tempo to 500bpm in FL studio" ? big_smile

I don't see anything troll-ey about this thread, why so quick to jump to that conclusion?

Milwaukee, WI

Yes, proper speedcore requires a lot of know-how. There is certainly a black art to it but unfortunately it has been dumbed down to the cliche it's become. Upping tempo without song dynamics, etc.

I sincerely apologize if this all turns out to be legit, but until then I'm sticking to my troll-call.

A gray world of dread

Hmm, a bit off topic, but could you drop some names to check out? I like the DJ Producer and some Hellfish, but that's a slightly different style I think. Other than that I only know Sharpnel (et aliases) and m1dy tongue

Milwaukee, WI

Well right off the bat I can name Stagediver (select tracks off the torrent in the releases section). Others include more of the Midwest USA stuff like early Delta 9, DJ Tron (r.i.p.), very early Doormouse, early Unibomber as well as others from Germany like Noize Creator (the D.O.A. alias) and The Destroyer from Italy who does a Stagediver type of Amigacore w/ 8bit elements.

There's more, but I'll have to search a bit.