I've been eaten! HALP!

It looks promising, and I'm interested from what I've heard so far.

Yet, since the roadmap looks like it's going to be "create LSDJ's uncle", I fear that in the years after Pulsar is released that NES chiptunes will get a little soiled, might I say, like what I believe has happened to the GameBoy scene with LSDJ's overuse (might not be the right word, seeing as it's virtually the only good program out there), and what I sometimes consider bland creations.

It might just be my paranoia. But I'm a little skeptic on whether this will impact the NES scene for better, or for worse. hmm

Last edited by Soiled Bargains (Aug 24, 2010 10:27 pm)

astral cat

I CANT WAIT TO USE THIS AND ROCK THE NES LIVE SO HARD! heart

Westfield, NJ
Soiled Bargains wrote:

It looks promising, and I'm interested from what I've heard so far.

Yet, since the roadmap looks like it's going to be "create LSDJ's uncle", I fear that in the years after Pulsar is released that NES chiptunes will get a little soiled, might I say, like what I believe has happened to the GameBoy scene with LSDJ's overuse (might not be the right word, seeing as it's virtually the only good program out there), and what I sometimes consider bland creations.

It might just be my paranoia. But I'm a little skeptic on whether this will impact the NES scene for better, or for worse. hmm

No need to be so pessimistic. If this makes NES tracking easy and accessible, it means more people will be making NES music, and the front page of 8bc won't be 99% LSDJ all day long.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

@Soiled Bargains and Decktonic: I think that the called "overuse" is nothing to worry about. there are millions of different instruments. And lots of crappy music for them. And lots of gold pieces also. Is just a matter of the artist quality, nothing to do with the instrument itself.

anyways, a good artist will make good job with anything available. for me the lsdj interface is very catchy and easy to go along... but the nanoloop one is very attractive. i guess that depending on how an instrument is built, different users will be appealed to it. you can't get everyone happy with the result.

for pulsar, copying something good and make it better is really valid point. I've always thought that the nanoloop interface is more trippy, suitable for more open compositions/improvisations and it has some really interesting permutations of the patterns in real time, which is still valid for "music composing" as a formal structure; but the lsdj one is more control-freaky-alike, with everything detailed, of course the last resort on total control will be coding, like MML.

Brazil

LSDJ is more like chaos controlled, since you can program the tracks to play something and then you can choose which will play together. And I like LSDJ interface a lot, is very friendly and since I use lgpt too it would be easier to play with it.

WOW MAN!

Skeptic? Negative impact on the NES?

*shrugs*

I'll make you a special version of Pulsar with the audio disabled.

Tucson, AZ

I, for one, welcome our new 240Hz tracker overlords.

USA

I can't wait for Pulsar to be released.
I'm real excited.

Can I try out what you have done so far Neil?

Or should I just wait?

Unsubscribe

I emjoying the lsdj backlash, it allows me to best identify morons who thinks its software's fault for being so easy to use that it encourages a proliferation of bad music.

How far can you blame something like Pro tools for bands like nickelback?

WOW MAN!
SurfaceDragon wrote:

I can't wait for Pulsar to be released.
I'm real excited.

Can I try out what you have done so far Neil?

Or should I just wait?

Patience, patience.

It's close.... smile

WOW MAN!
herr_prof wrote:

I emjoying the lsdj backlash, it allows me to best identify morons who thinks its software's fault for being so easy to use that it encourages a proliferation of bad music.

How far can you blame something like Pro tools for bands like nickelback?

Or, more in keeping with the original post, anyone should be discouraged from ever making another guitar because Nickleback used them.

As I said, I'm perfectly willing to provide a special version of Pulsar with no audio. That way you can be safe in the knowledge that you'll never use it to contribute to the tsunami of mediocrity that programs like LSDJ have been the catalyst for.

Apart from a NES cover of John Cale's 4'33" perhaps....

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Aug 25, 2010 11:37 am)

rochester, ny

question - could an NES based tracker ever support VRC6 or other expansion sound chips?

I've been eaten! HALP!
nickmaynard wrote:

question - could an NES based tracker ever support VRC6 or other expansion sound chips?

Yes it could. It's possible to get it working on any NES with a PowerPak and a resistor, or, of course, a Famicom cartridge that has a VRC6.

Tacoma WA
neilbaldwin wrote:

Skeptic? Negative impact on the NES?

*shrugs*

I'll make you a special version of Pulsar with the audio disabled.

oh man..  do want

rochester, ny
Soiled Bargains wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

Yes it could. It's possible to get it working on any NES with a PowerPak and a resistor, or, of course, a Famicom cartridge that has a VRC6.

right, but it seems like that would demand more processing power (not sure if that's the right word) and things are already kind of tight.

Tokyo, Japan

Totally random idea, working on the assumption pulsar is too CPU hungry to work with expansion chips.

IF some new magical bit of hardware becomes available giving easier access to expansion chips would it be possible to do something like have a version of pulsar customized for a particular chip then use some of Batsly's voodoo to sync the famicoms?

So you could have pulsar standard which is for the basic famicom then pulsar VRC7 which ignored the standard NES channels thus saving CPU cycles but DID work with the custom chip?

Soiled Bargains wrote:

I fear that in the years after Pulsar is released that NES chiptunes will get a little soiled, might I say, like what I believe has happened to the GameBoy scene with LSDJ's overuse (might not be the right word, seeing as it's virtually the only good program out there), and what I sometimes consider bland creations.

Aside from the other fine rebuttals to this somewhat odd argument. Why are people seemingly unable to choose only music they like to listen to? Does the existence of poor quality music somehow hamper your enjoyment of good quality music?

You can't eat ate that awesome Chinese place cause there is also a Macdonalds in town?