killadelphia

So - anyone have any problems with too many tables in LSDJ - i have on occasion actually used this trick to slow the gameboy down a bit (its a little more organic sounding than using tempo controls) - but for this new tune i'm composing... i'm sort of having a problem with it.  basically i have a table on every channel.  one of the instruments in the WAV channel does not have a table - whatever.  so - i  was wondering if there might be a RAM mod to fix this or something.  like swapping out the RAM chips on the cart or the gameboy.  Might also allow for a higher BPM in LSDJ (which is a complaint i've heard before).  stupid idea?  impossible? CPU won't allow it?

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 19, 2010 6:04 am)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

and people give me shit for using a GBA SP.... >_< Now you know why.

rochester, ny

i've had problems with even really simple tables. in one song, the pulse channels both use the table 01 which only has a V01 command in it.

when the melodies get fast enough, the whole thing slows down.

but i'm thinking of switching to the gba sp as well. low-gain, do you notice much of a sound quality issue? i've read some places that say it sounds worse than a DMG and some places that say it sounds better.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

V commands will eat processor speed like you wouldn't believe.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
nickmaynard wrote:

but i'm thinking of switching to the gba sp as well. low-gain, do you notice much of a sound quality issue? i've read some places that say it sounds worse than a DMG and some places that say it sounds better.

Do you notice any issues on my album or any of my songs that you've heard?

IL, US

sound quality of game boys can vary from unit pretty heavily, and also deciding which sounds "better" is awfully subjective
personally, i have nothing against the sound of SPs, just hate those headphone adapters (more the fact that a lot of them suck and it can be tough finding a good one that will stay in place well, so i usually use electrical tape to help hold it when i use one live)

☺☺☺
e.s.c. wrote:

sound quality of game boys can vary from unit pretty heavily

its ungodly! i just bought a second SP and it has a louder, more deafening whine :S (whereas my first one is nice and quiet)

New York City
animalstyle wrote:

i  was wondering if there might be a RAM mod to fix this or something.  like swapping out the RAM chips on the cart or the gameboy.  Might also allow for a higher BPM in LSDJ

This sounds like a CPU processing hog, not a RAM problem. That's why it works better on a Color or Advance.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 19, 2010 1:57 pm)

BOSTON

i had talked to nex a while back about this exact problem (DMG processing limits)  when he was experimenting with switching DMG chips with ones from a supergameboy. from what i recall, he said there wasn't much that could be done, but i think he or bibin are probably the guys to talk to about it

if you need the DMG sound, a simple alternative might be to just split up the track onto 2 carts and link port 2 DMGs?

*good point kenobit, the SP sounds fine imho

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jul 19, 2010 2:54 pm)

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

a simple alternative might be to split up the track onto 2 carts and link port 2 DMGs?

I wouldn't call that a simple alternative. I love my DMG, but if you want big tables go with a SP.

New York City
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

he was experimenting with switching DMG chips with ones from a supergameboy. from what i recall, he said there wasn't much that could be done

That only changed the bootstrap. The CPU is identical.

There is of course something you can do to solve this: OVERCLOCK the stinkin' DMG.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

a lot of the SP noise issues are simply old batteries.. get a new battery and you'll find them to be quite nice.

rochester, ny
low-gain wrote:

a lot of the SP noise issues are simply old batteries.. get a new battery and you'll find them to be quite nice.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/CY-PBSP-BK.html

i'm probably going to get this one.

Milan, Italy

A gameboy color is fine too.

edit:
It is easly backlit-able and with a prosound mod you can remove kinda all the noises.

Last edited by arottenbit (Jul 19, 2010 4:40 pm)

BOSTON

the sound on the color is a bit thin for live stuff if you are running directly to the mixer (just my opinion), but I have had really good results by putting some compression/reverb and EQ-ing to cut down on the treble. if you have a noise gate, the hiss is DESTROYED. GBCs can sound awesome!! plus, those cheap worm lights are like 2 dollars and are super bright ;D

sorry if this is kind of a derail, im guessing animalstyle knows most of this, haha

Minneapolis

A hint to all the people complaining about noise in their sound- gameboys are old. They have capacitors and other components inside which deteriorate. They run on batteries put through DC-DC converters which can be notoriously noisy. So yeah, the amount of abuse your gameboy has taken is a far greater aspect of noise production than model. A re-cap job and possibly replacing or upgrading the PSU will, in nearly all instances, kill the noise. I have worked with old computers and such for a long time, and those two things cause probably %90 of problems in old electronics, including gameboys.