Manchester UK

I had to go back 2.7.9. As soon as I update it changed all my chords down a step in all my songs, and the new change in the noise channel didn't really mix well and sounded rather dirty with my tracks sad

Is there supposed to be an arp mode on the S channel, or does that only work on R and L? I'm not too experienced with NL2 and the manual isn't super clear on this. I see the little square change shape when I toggle the L button, but I'm not hearing a change in the sound.

Melbourne

It's supposed to be a toggle between chord and unison modes, but I think it's broken. I actually don't miss it as much as I initially thought.

Overall I'm really happy with 2.8.2. There are a few things that I'm still trying to get my head around, but the sound is the best it's been since 2.7.2 imo. I even almost have my goth snares back.

Also, the distortion at lower volumes is actually really good for what I'm doing. Last night I experimented with low sub tones on L and R beating against each other, distorting the mix and periodically obliterating the S and N channels; it's opening up really interesting new sound design possibilities that I never even thought about before big_smile

Last edited by pselodux (Sep 11, 2017 11:36 pm)

East Coast USA

is there a way to upgrade if you already have a 2.7 cart without buying a brand new cartridge?

the USB-MIDI or any device that allows you to run the update ROM, e.g. a flashcart or a multiboot cable.

East Coast USA

do i need to pay any extra for the updated rom?

East Coast USA

no, you dont.

Paris, France

This is great Oliver! Although I have two questions...

Does any of your recently posted hardware 'mods' still apply or are they redundant with this new anti-noise in 2.8 ?

Secondly,

I have a couple of songs made on 2.7.6 that completely change when updating to any superior version.. So I've actually downgraded back to 2.7.6 to keep my songs in harmony. If I update to 2.8 without updating the waveforms, will my songs sound the same as on 2.7.6 but profit from the denoise ?

Last edited by ScanianWolf (Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm)

ScanianWolf wrote:

Does any of your recently posted hardware 'mods' still apply or are they redundant with this new anti-noise in 2.8 ?

The noise filter mod is pretty much obsolete. It still reduces the remaining hum, but the change is not significant and not worth the effort.

ScanianWolf wrote:

I have a couple of songs made on 2.7.6 that completely change when updating to any superior version.. So I've actually downgraded back to 2.7.6 to keep my songs in harmony. If I update to 2.8 without updating the waveforms, will my songs sound the same as on 2.7.6 but profit from the denoise ?

There are two types of change in sound: The wave forms and the way pitch envelopes are generated. With the new pitch table, I have tried to get as close as possible to the old ones, but certain settings still sound different. The change was more drastic in 2.8.0 and has been corrected in 2.8.2, which is closer to 2.7. So if you haven't yet, I'd suggest to try 2.8.2.

The wave forms are not that different. However, 2.8 uses wave forms for "GB noise", too. If you use 2.8 with 2.7 waves, "GB noise" will be mute.

Brittany

Hi !
I just received the new nanoloop 2.8 cart, but I have a little problem.

After the nintendo logo, it's stuck on a white/blank screen. There is no nanoloop logo, and pressing key does'nt seem to do anything.
I tried to update the software with usb/link adapter, but it does'nt work.

Is there a problem with my cart?

I may have sent an empty cart by accident. Replacement is on the way.

Brittany

Ok! Thanks a lot! I'll resend you the other one tomorrow!

Last edited by Gala (Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am)

Brittany

Received it today, it's perfect. Thanks a lot Oliver!

Spokompton

The old nanoloop thread mentioned a trick where you pull the cart out while it's playing and put it into another gameboy. Well, I tried this and the cart now is stuck at the logo screen with the "play" icon in the top right.  I can choose a color scheme but after that it doesn't go anywhere.

Obviously I did a stupid thing. Did I break it? Is there something I can do at this screen (or some buttons I can hold on startup) to proceed?

Spokompton

Weird, I can get it to boot by removing the cart and selecting a color scheme, then it says "0" in the bottom right. Then I can re-insert the cart and it works normally until I reboot. Then it works normally for the next boot, but when I boot a second time I have the same issue. I seem to have corrupted some flag in the flash memory, probably will need to figure out how to do a factory reset or something.

Last edited by undergroundclouds (Sep 22, 2018 4:15 pm)

Spokompton

OK so actually after doing that stuff it wasn't saving; it was treating the flash memory like it was read-only. But then I reloaded the 2.8.2 ROM and now it's all good (so far).