Cambridge UK

http://vimeo.com/13644974

Documentary in English and French featuring tons of Montreal artists and live footage from glomag, starpause and trash80.
Enjoy!

Last edited by George (Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm)

Really cool !

Last edited by BEASTMODE (Jul 26, 2010 9:49 pm)

New York City

Cool but subtitles plz sad
I only understand 40% of the french.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 26, 2010 9:54 pm)

Cambridge UK

There have been a few questions/demands/complaints that have been brought up to my attention regarding this video.
Here are some facts :

1- It was a school project
2- 95% of the population here understand both French and English.
3- Being in Quebec and according to the laws here, if it aired on TV, they would only be required to subtitle in French the English parts.
4- According to the same laws on protection of French in Quebec, a cultural product can have an English name even if its content is in French. Same goes with trademarks. Everything else has to be labeled in French.
5- Yes, for people outside of Quebec it might not make any sense. For us it does. Thank you for your misunderstanding of the situation here.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Heh, I've met a bunch of those dudes.  The Montreal scene is wicked.

Unsubscribe

No need to be defensive.. it was a request for us nonfranophones.. looks good anyways!

Geneva, NY

This is an English forum, no surprises that people are asking for some subs!  Behind each of those requests is a subtext that reads "this is cool!  I want to understand what they are saying!"

herr_prof wrote:

No need to be defensive.. it was a request for us nonfranophones.. looks good anyways!

GNV / FL / USA

Une vidéo spectaculaire!

Also:

I'm pretty sure the main reason there are no english subtitles is because no one part of the production team feels confident enough at all to translate into english.  I've met them and they are willing to speak english in person but it is hard for them.  And they take school in french so english subs are unnecessary for their grade.  I doubt they were really taking into consideration Quebec language laws, but I could be wrong.

At least my part is in english tongue

Cambridge UK

No, I don't think they were.
They were just doing their school assignment.
But I've seen elsewhere people complaining about the fact that the title was in English, yet part of the video was in French.
I've been told multiple times by Americans and Canadians, that I was trying to help by telling them how it'd be if they were to visit, that we were "retarded" for not translating everything in English. It does grow on you at some point.

Now, regarding the subtitling job itself : I'd be able to do it myself, but here's why I won't :
Considering most people featured in this video are able to understand both languages, at least to some extent, I would not feel comfortable with uploading a subtitled version that wouldn't have been approved by everyone appearing in it. And THAT would be a fucking huge headache and I'm not willing to deal with it.

Tacoma WA

so you are french!!!

i knew it..

Cambridge UK
infradead wrote:

so you are french!!!

i knew it..

Oh you! :3

Montréal
NO CARRIER wrote:

Une vidéo spectaculaire!

ouais, c'était bien cool smile

New York City
George wrote:

5- Yes, for people outside of Quebec it might not make any sense. For us it does. Thank you for your misunderstanding of the situation here.

Wow over reaction o_O
I just suggested subtitles for the ONLINE VERSION of this video, which looks super cool.
It was a suggestion not a complaint. The video rocks.

Sometimes I wish my internet access got removed.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

TOY COMPANY CREW.
So good.

So many lip piercings.