Off the coast of Florida

I am unemployed, and live with my parents, so money is hard to come by. The fact that I am 15 accounts for at least the latter, but still, this is a toughish choice. I have been using Milkytracker for a little while now, and I think I fully understand the tracker interface. Is Renoise similar enough for me to feel at home from the start? Is it a tough program to learn? And finally, does the linux version support VSTs?

Just use the demo. Sure you can't export to .wav but that doesn't stop you from recording via line-out on your computer!

I think if you just sit down and start playing around with it you'll start to get the hang of it. It's pretty close to the FT2 style of Milky I guess. Some commands are different and it's way more complex.

Off the coast of Florida

Holycrap, this is neat! Plus, the download was *much* smaller than I expected. Thanks for letting me know about the demo, though I dont think I will be doing the line-in thing. I will wait 'till I can afford it, now I have something to save up for big_smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

OMG YES IT IS WORTH IT!  smile BUY BUY BUY

Off the coast of Florida
low-gain wrote:

OMG YES IT IS WORTH IT!  smile BUY BUY BUY

Now I HAVE to buy it tongue

It is legitimately worth it.  It's a wonderful piece of software with a lot of really useful features gained upon purchasing it.  They seem inconsequential, but they really go a long way.  Not only that, but you are supporting a worthy cause.  Renoise is by the community, for the community with very noble intentions and an amazingly usable end product.  If you have the money, buy it post-haste.

))<>((

I love Renoise. It's pretty much replace all DAWs for me for doing pretty much anything. It's definitely worth buying. ;D

Ciudad de méxico, MX

you always can try another FREE stuff like sunvox.

EDIT:

It seems that you're in linux (?).

sunvox run on it, neil sequencer look promising. and also, rosegarden, reaper (using WINE which adds support to VST's). Also you can route renoise via JACK and get lossless recording from it. Never tried, but is linux magic working on every app.

there are tons of open/free GOOD stuff.

I only use linux stuff, there's a nice multitracker which supports vst also (you have to compile and other wizardry): ardour.

Last edited by Analog (Jul 28, 2010 4:07 am)

Analog, I think you are missing the point that Renoise is awesome and is free as well.

Psydney, Australia

HELL YES IT'S WORTH IT!
If you need any help using it, just ask big_smile

uhajdafdfdfa
Beware wrote:

Analog, I think you are missing the point that Renoise is awesome and is free as well.

Renoise website wrote:

Total price: 57.87 GBP / 69.02 EUR

define: "free" wrote:

costing nothing

What?

As for the other definition of free software ("software that can be used, studied, and modified without restriction, and which can be copied and redistributed in modified or unmodified form either without restriction, or with minimal restrictions only to ensure that further recipients can also do these things"), Renoise is even further from it. It's not developed by "the community", it's developed by a team of people who are making money from. If you think it's any different to Ableton Live in that regard, you're pretty deluded.

Things which are genuinely free and offer many of the same features include Psycle and OpenMPT.

But, yes, if you don't mind spending money and don't care about free software, Renoise is a pretty competent piece of software (although I could never get my head around the "FT2 but worse" interface).

Italy

So far I must say Renoise is the most powerful, usable and fast developing piece of music software on Linux. I think it's really worth it, especially considering that you don't have a problem with trackers (which would be the only critical point).
Renoise is a really good mix between the classic tracker and a modern DAW. On linux you can use both DSSI (with v. 2.6, which is currently in beta) and Linux VSTs, you should also be able to run many Windows VSTs using the DSSI-VST wrapper (which uses Wine).
Of course it is not free software as ant1 suggested. But it's still a lot more open towards the userbase than Ableton Live. The team actually listens to what people say on the discussion boards... and the new scripting extension for it will be free and open, which adds at least a little bit of a free software touch to Renoise...

Geneva, NY

Renoise is the bomb.  I've never finished a track in it, but the day will come when I buy it and start some serious renoising.  I was at a DAW crossroads a few months back and I chose Reaper because I sing and play guitar and stuff and at the time, renoise didn't handle LONG samples well.  However, as of the most recent version, they added autoseeking which fixes that problem for me. 

Renoise runs beautifully on a flash drive, too!

Also, @patriotic_octopi: I also highly recommend changing your name back to nekk!

Manchester UK

how do you do that, bleo?  it didn't save a config when I tried it..

Italy

Actually so far I've only been playing around with the demo version on Ubuntu... but I'm really considering to buy it. I need something to use in a live context (on mac or win) with my launchpad and other midi controllers. So far I could go for Ableton Live (pricy, but easy) or Renoise (good value, and lot geekier!) and I must say Renoise seems to be a lot more interesting... though I'm till missing the flexybilities of Live's clip launching capability...

Geneva, NY
GaMEcat wrote:

how do you do that, bleo?  it didn't save a config when I tried it..

There's a batch script here to copy those settings back and forth:
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php? … p;p=137948