Chicago, IL USA
PixyJunket wrote:

Will a simple drill make a clean hole?

I guess it's not horribly important but I would like to know what your results looked like.

All of my prosound holes, save one which used a combo of screwdrivers/exacto knife, were done with a simple drill from Target, and the largest size drill bit in a standard set (1/4"). If there is a little plastic residue, you can easily cut it off with an exacto (hell I've even used a steak knife in a pinch, it's not hard plastic). Going to any hardware/omni store (target/ wal-mart etc) and you could ideally be set up to be making super clean holes for prosound for around 20$ max. And as was mentioned, if you pick up a used drill, you can easily cut that in half. An exacto knife shouldn't be more than a few bucks. A lot of times they are 99 cents near the register at ACE hardware.

On top of all of this: If doesn't have to be that clean. The tiny metal ring that secures the jack in place covers most small imperfections that might happen (though Nitro2K01's picture is not an example of this, his does look damn sexy). Also I agree with what Herr Proff said about doing a small guide hole first. Again, if you get the cheapo/standard 5 bit set from target, the tiniest is the best for that. I think my set was like $3. Something stupidly cheap and it works like a dream.

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Nullsleep wrote:

Do you have any pictures of yourself from 4 years ago?  Maybe we can do side-by-side before & after comparison!  >_<  lol

Ask and ye shall recieve. Will a video do?

Tacoma WA

just go to garage sales till you find one of these

or if you can't wait you can buy one from here like my cousin did
http://www.preac.com/drill_press.htm

Melbourne, Australia
infradead wrote:

just go to garage sales till you find one of these

or if you can't wait you can buy one from here like my cousin did
http://www.preac.com/drill_press.htm

I want a drill press sad

Plano, TX
NOM STAR wrote:
PixyJunket wrote:

Will a simple drill make a clean hole?

I guess it's not horribly important but I would like to know what your results looked like.

All of my prosound holes, save one which used a combo of screwdrivers/exacto knife, were done with a simple drill from Target, and the largest size drill bit in a standard set (1/4"). If there is a little plastic residue, you can easily cut it off with an exacto (hell I've even used a steak knife in a pinch, it's not hard plastic). Going to any hardware/omni store (target/ wal-mart etc) and you could ideally be set up to be making super clean holes for prosound for around 20$ max. And as was mentioned, if you pick up a used drill, you can easily cut that in half. An exacto knife shouldn't be more than a few bucks. A lot of times they are 99 cents near the register at ACE hardware.

On top of all of this: If doesn't have to be that clean. The tiny metal ring that secures the jack in place covers most small imperfections that might happen (though Nitro2K01's picture is not an example of this, his does look damn sexy). Also I agree with what Herr Proff said about doing a small guide hole first. Again, if you get the cheapo/standard 5 bit set from target, the tiniest is the best for that. I think my set was like $3. Something stupidly cheap and it works like a dream.

Good luck!

heart

I think I can find more uses for a drill over a dremel and I can't even beleive I didn't even think that most (if not all) of the cut would be covered by the audio jack. I think I'll be checking out Targét this weekend.

by the way i would like to point out that burning a hole with your soldering iron is not a good move, you will make some horible fumes, remember the gameboys are made in the 80s before health and safety was "the new thing" and so they give off some pretty toxic fumes.

also you will ruin your soldering iron. the iron is made of a copper tip that is coated to protect the copper, if you damage that outer layer you will find the copper inside starts to fall apart.

how i make holes is:

start with a dremal-like rotary tool, they are very cheap and easy to come by and have loads of useful attachements like sanding shapes and cutters, they are great for cutting straight lines as well as holes and the sanders are good for just removing that last bit of plastic at the bottom of something. they are well worth it so it is worth spending a bit of money, i have had cheap ones before and one actually melted itself in half!

once you have got the hole where you want it, make the hole larger by a slightly larger drill bit in either a hand powered drill or battery drill. keep stepping up the drill bits to the size you want. this will help to keep the hole neat, and stop the plastic from cracking etc.

then you can use a round sander from your rotary tool, or a counter sink bit for your drill, to indent the hole to make it look a bit neater.

i used exactly this same routine to cut some extra button holes in my SP, see pic:

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
PixyJunket wrote:

Yeah, the only thing keeping me from getting a Dremel is this is literally the only thing I'd use it for. I tinker with enough stuff that I'm sure that it'll come in handy again, but damned if I can't think of anything specific at the moment.

http://amzn.com/B0000302Y1

^ This is only $27 though, I guess it's not as expensive as I was thinking.

dont by a rechargeable / battery powered dremel. they dont hold a charge long enough
to do anything (especially when cutting plastic). i used a rechargeable dremel when
i was doing my nespc mod. it took me two weeks, since i had to keep quitting and recharging.
it was quite annoying. i got the expensive demel XPR, and it's amazing. i end up using it
all the time since i have it. cutting wood, plastic, metal, whatever. also the sanding bits are
pure gold. and there are 100x of different dremel tips for different jobs. it's a sound investment.

but,
regardless of the tool you use,
the most important part to remember is:

my grandpa wrote:

measure twice, cut once.

Last edited by xero (Aug 4, 2010 5:46 pm)

lolusa

Here's me just 4 years ago

Also, if you heat a spoon with a dab on solder on it, you could put a small hole in it.

If we're going to be playing this game... Me on the right with Stefan Fimmers, the bass player from Necrophagist. Two or three hours from my 16th birthday.

ovenrake wrote:

Also, if you heat a spoon with a dab on solder on it, you could put a small hole in it.

if you heat a spoon with a dab of heroine on it, you could put a small hole in your mind!

lolusa
NeX wrote:
ovenrake wrote:

if you heat a spoon with a dab of heroine on it, you could put a small hole in your mind!

PRO SOUND YO MIND

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
NeX wrote:

by the way i would like to point out that burning a hole with your soldering iron is not a good move, you will make some horible fumes, remember the gameboys are made in the 80s before health and safety was "the new thing" and so they give off some pretty toxic fumes.

also you will ruin your soldering iron. the iron is made of a copper tip that is coated to protect the copper, if you damage that outer layer you will find the copper inside starts to fall apart.

how i make holes is:

start with a dremal-like rotary tool, they are very cheap and easy to come by and have loads of useful attachements like sanding shapes and cutters, they are great for cutting straight lines as well as holes and the sanders are good for just removing that last bit of plastic at the bottom of something. they are well worth it so it is worth spending a bit of money, i have had cheap ones before and one actually melted itself in half!

once you have got the hole where you want it, make the hole larger by a slightly larger drill bit in either a hand powered drill or battery drill. keep stepping up the drill bits to the size you want. this will help to keep the hole neat, and stop the plastic from cracking etc.

then you can use a round sander from your rotary tool, or a counter sink bit for your drill, to indent the hole to make it look a bit neater.

i used exactly this same routine to cut some extra button holes in my SP, see pic:

I agree totally. haha. .was just saying.. it is the cheapest way of doing it. haha
with out having to buy anything. other than the soldering iron he already has if he's gunna do an output mod to a gb.
har har

Unsubscribe

In interest of equal time:

http://oobsrecords.tripod.com/dancinswimm.htm

Baditude fans will recognize the dude in the back. This is 199x, during Greg Gillis' (Girl Talk) HS Graduation party. SCENESTER!

herr_prof wrote:

In interest of equal time:

http://oobsrecords.tripod.com/dancinswimm.htm

Baditude fans will recognize the dude in the back. This is 199x, during Greg Gillis' (Girl Talk) HS Graduation party. SCENESTER!

Nice full body redness!

San Francisco

tooo much red.

Unsubscribe

I also had a red hat. RED!