Plano, TX

Topic. And I don't mean something as nutty as heating up a screwdriver and melting a hole into the case, but if there's a low cost dremel or something, or if there's a little way other might have to accomplish this, I'd like to know.

Geneva, NY

Find someone with a drill?

Sweeeeeeden

A sharp knife, a round file, a steady hand and some patience can get you a long way. This is probably not placement you're going to us, but the picture might work as inspiration:
This is the placement I chose. It's attached with this super glue. For this particular one, I had to remove the speaker and bend the connection pins on the jack, so it was a tight fit.

Then I used a knife to make  rough hole. I started out with a smaller v-shaped hole and worked my way down to vertical cuts.

Here comes the cheat. I used a round file to even out the hole. If you don't have one, you just have to buy one. smile
Also notice that I've removed some of the plastic normally holding the speaker in place.

Here's what it all looked like when assembled. For this particular method, you really need align everything correctly, since the glue dries instantly, and the hole can't be undone. In fact, I misaligned the Prosound jack on this one slightly by putting it too far into the GB, which means that most 3.5 mm plugs won't fit unless you press them in firmly, and they tend to fall out. This could've been avoided if I had just placed the jack 1 mm farther out before the glue dried. Lesson learned though.

Tucson, AZ

Just use the same thing that little-scale used to cut a hole in low-gain's heart.

Plano, TX

Ah, great, thanks nitro.

Definitely looks like a plausible solution if I'm not grabbing a pricey tool for a single task.

Nullsleep wrote:

Just use the same thing that little-scale used to cut a hole in low-gain's heart.

So I can just ignore it?

Philly, PA, USA

I used a drill press, so if you have access to that it's an easy way to go. but if you don't then it would be a bit difficult to do..

rochester, ny

go to a pawn shop and get a drill for 5 bucks. that's what i did.

i've also used the saw on a swiss army knife.

Plano, TX

Will a simple drill make a clean hole?

I guess it's not horribly important but I would like to know what your results looked like.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Nullsleep wrote:

Who's this guy?

Last edited by low-gain (Aug 3, 2010 5:49 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

A small electric drill with the appropriate sized bit will make a nice hole and no dust like from a dremel.

Tucson, AZ
low-gain wrote:

Who's this guy?

That's me, logan, a mere 4 years ago.  AKA cuddly Nullsleep AKA chubby Nullsleep.  Look at me with my geeky glasses and tussled hair -- so cute!  But even then I wasn't so awkward as to make public posts in all-caps begging for responses from people.

Do you have any pictures of yourself from 4 years ago?  Maybe we can do side-by-side before & after comparison!  >_<  lol

Just to throw in something that's on-topic and get things back on track -- not the cheapest option, but Dremels are great for this kind of thing.

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec

Ah that's a cool thread!

Here's a pic of me when I was 16 LOLOLOL

Here's a pic of me 4 years ago:

One of the greatest nights of my life.

I'm generally a cheap guy, but a dremel is seriously worth the investment.  You will marvel at how much effort you wasted before you had one.

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec

Yeah I've been off putting buying a dremel for years sad

but they *are* expensive...

I'd go with the "5$ drill in a pawn shop" suggestion, though

New York City
PixyJunket wrote:

And I don't mean something as nutty as heating up a screwdriver and melting a hole into the case

Aw man, i love melting shit off.

Unsubscribe

I would drill with a smaller bit first to create a guide hole.. also because careful the tip dont get to hot lest you start melting the case.

Also, all that drama stuff.