WOW MAN!

I've been experimenting with LSDJ because my new NES tracker will be copying quite a lot of its functionality (you can read all about why over in the Nintendo Consoles sections under "Pulsar").

Anyway, something that I can't see to get a handle on is how LSDJ copes with certain commands when placed in the same pattern/table step.

For example, you can place an Axx command inside a table and the table execution jumps to the specified table. However, because you have two command columns, you can put two Axx commands on the same step. Which one takes priority? It seems to be the first command but I'm not sure what I should expect.

This also goes for things like putting a Cxx and a Pxx command on the same step. What is the expected output? Which takes priority?

Tokyo, Japan

I must admit. I don't actually know. The mailing list might help though.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/

San Francisco

the philosophical mysteries of lsdj...

astral cat

Cxx and Pxx if i remember right makes a detuned sounding horrible arp

WOW MAN!
an-cat-max wrote:

Or in other words, it doesn't work... big_smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Neil the person you'd want to ask is Johan. He's actually very helpful w/ people with regard to that stuff.

rochester, ny

i would say it would be logical if it went from left to right.

New York City

I think Nick is right, but I never did "nested tables"

WOW MAN!
low-gain wrote:

Neil the person you'd want to ask is Johan. He's actually very helpful w/ people with regard to that stuff.

Yeah, I am in contact with him. smile

I mainly wondered what users' perception of operation was. I'd try to get my head around it and failed but I realised there's a distinct possibility that my lack of LSDJ experience/knowledge was the reason for fail.

I know I could ask Johan and he'd (most likely) tell me. However, despite what I've already said I don't want to "port' LSDJ to NES so I'd rather hear from users as to how they expect the program to behave.

Take the Pxx and Cxx command combination. I can see that it fails and I know only too well why, having spent a lot of effort in NTRQ making that combination work. But if people don't miss it because it doesn't quite work in LSDJ then it will help me design the coding for Pulsar's player.

I don't think I'm explaining myself too well. I have a cold, a man cold. :S

England

all these responces, but no one has just picked up a game boy to try it out? tongue

if still no one has done this by the time I get back from my daily soul sucking corporate experience, i will try it! smile

Unsubscribe
neilbaldwin wrote:
an-cat-max wrote:

How else is it supposed to sound? Its basically the same as if you played an arp on a synthesizer and had a pitch lfo going.. sounds broken, but could def. be musical in the right hands.

Last edited by herr_prof (Aug 4, 2010 2:14 pm)

WOW MAN!
herr_prof wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

How else is it supposed to sound? Its basically the same as if you played an arp on a synthesizer and had a pitch lfo going.. sounds broken, but could def. be musical in the right hands.

http://blog.ntrq.net/?p=192

Unsubscribe

As a asshole musician i prefer the broken version jsut for character reasons..

Sweeeeeeden

The commands in tables are processed from left to right, so if you have, eg, two C commands executing on one tick, the right one will take precedence. However, if you have two A commands, the left one will happen first. Still, however, if there's an A command and something else on the same step, the athor command will be executed, whichever side it is on.

an-cat-max wrote:

It does work fine. Here's what happens. (This is, assuming that the vibrato mode is HF. Vibrato mode also affects P. See below.)

In HF mode, the P and V commands aren't clocked by the playback engine, so pitch effects are running desynced from the BPM and the way tables are running. It's clocked faster than the BPM, so it typically executes in between table steps/master ticks.

In "slow" mode, on the other hand, P and V are run in the playback engine, and are synced to ticks, so P won't make a difference when used with C. However, if you're using a table that runs slower than 1 step/tick and use the table transpose column, you can still hear the effect.

In either way, what the command does is to take the "current" pitch value and continuously add the value from the P command to it. This is the same for HF and LF, but in LF , the value is of course added much less often, so it's slower.

This applies to transpose in tables and with the C command the following way: Whenever a table or C command requests a transpose, the "current" pitch value is reset to the the base note + any applicable transpose. So in effect, the pitch sweep is restarted on every step with a change in transpose. (If there are multiple steps in a table with the same transpose value, and nothing else causes a change, the value is not reset.)

WOW MAN!
herr_prof wrote:

As a asshole musician i prefer the broken version jsut for character reasons..

big_smile

There is no absolute right or wrong.

That goes for life in general, not just chiplife.

WOW MAN!

@ nitro2k01 : Some good info there. I learned a few things. smile