Tokyo, Japan

I am thinking about buying myself out of my iphone contract and switching over to an Android device. I know next to nothing about them though, wondered if anyone had any impressions they would be kind enough to share, models to avoid, ones to look for etc. The HTC Desire is the only major one available here that I am aware of.

Lazerbeat wrote:

I am thinking about buying myself out of my iphone contract and switching over to an Android device. I know next to nothing about them though, wondered if anyone had any impressions they would be kind enough to share, models to avoid, ones to look for etc. The HTC Desire is the only major one available here that I am aware of.

It might be worth sticking with an iPhone, if I remember correctly there is a dev team workong on porting android over to the iPhone and even letting you have both OS's on the device.

Minneapolis
Flopps wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

It might be worth sticking with an iPhone, if I remember correctly there is a dev team workong on porting android over to the iPhone and even letting you have both OS's on the device.

That's never going to happen, not without jailbreaking your iPhone first. No way in heck apple will promote alternate OS, especially not a Google OS.

Not that android would be a huge improvement over iOS, it's not really open and it's very limited. IMO, both iOS and Android are not to my taste, because both don't feel like OSes, they feel like... I dunno, cheap phone firmware? Only expensive? You're talking to a real power-user OS snob here though. smile

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:21 pm)

The Mountains

don't get the MB501, I have it and I hate it. Touchscreen is only awesome when you can flip it up and use a qwerty keyzzzzz

Sweden

I Suggest that you check out video reviews on Youtube. Two phones that I highly recommend are Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire. I've heard a lot about people switching from the iPhone to the Galaxy S and they are very satisfied.

Last edited by Robpoke (Aug 14, 2010 9:56 am)

Chicago IL

last night this dude at the venue left his driod charging in his car for too long and the thing fried.

that's all i know about phones

The Hollow Earth

I have a Motorola Backflip. It's not the "iPhone clone" that the DROID phone is, but with an actual qwerty keyboard and being a reasonable size, it's more practical as an actual phone. Still, it does run the Android OS and apps. I have been playing with Electrum, which is a simple groove sampler. There are other interesting music software for Android as well. Nothing you can't do at home on your DAW, but fun for composing on the go.

Newcastle, UK

I really like my HTC Hero, its never failed me before. Its not the latest model or anything but it does the job and its cheaper than an iphone.

I use it as a reading device, a guitar tuner, a means of organizing my life on the go and when the firmware update is released I'll probably game a lot more on it. I've never experienced any problems with speed, and I leave mine hooked up to my netbook pretty much all the time I'm at home.

arfink wrote:
Flopps wrote:

That's never going to happen, not without jailbreaking your iPhone first. No way in heck apple will promote alternate OS, especially not a Google OS.

I was suggesting jailbreaking.

IL, US

HTC phones are pretty good, ive had a PPC6800 and now have a touch pro 2...got an offer to upgrade early, have no need to yet, but i will probably go with HTC a third time when i do

Abandoned on Fire

I'm another very happy HTC hero user.  Pandora radio and camera apps all day.

Philly, PA, USA

I have the Nexus One which is essentially the same phone as the Desire, and I absolutely love it. Part of why i love the n1/android is because of how easy it is to make it personalized with whatever apps, i've gone through several apps just for changing up the homescreen, my favorite is LauncherPro, but Slide Screen is good too.

also what arfink said about android not really being open, I don't know what he's talking about at all. I've been able to download apps from my computer and throw them over to the phone and install them no problem, even though they're not official market apps.

I'd take Android over iPhone any day, i just like the experience more. However, I wouldn't buy out of a contract, just because that's expensive, I'd wait, because new phones are always coming out, so if you buy out now, and get your Desire, then surely by the time your contract would've been up a new phone that's better and faster will be out at the same price of what you got.

tl;dr - Android is great, it *is* open, but don't pay to get off your contract.

Last edited by pixls (Aug 15, 2010 2:36 pm)

San Antonio, Texas

I have a G1..the first Android phone sold in the states I believe. Its good, has a full keyboard and decent touchscreen. My big beef is that sometimes I'm talking to someone and they can't hear me. My receiver may be going bad on me but for the year I've had its been awesome. There have been some huge developments in American Android phones lately and I'm thinking of switching but at the same time the allure of an iPhone is still present.

Unsubscribe

Might want to hold out for this..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/s … merge.html

Also cm6 is so good for my g1 i prob wont buy a new phone right away.. makes it way more usuable

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

I had an android phone for about 2 weeks, switched to the iphone, and I absolutely love it. Why are you considering switching?
It seems that most of the phones out there are just trying to keep up with the iphone.