Hello Forum,

I am new to this site and in the short time that I've been here I've found a couple of threads that have solved a few issues I've had with my Homebrew program.

However, I need to create a "score" for my RPG game and don't have the skill (or talent) to even know where to start.

The music as you might know has to be a .mod file and size is an issue for the Gameboy Classic. The AAA game Last of Us has such a iconic soundtrack and the Gameboy is a 4 channel tin-can and what I've heard some of the artists here do with it is impressive, so where do I begin or find help?

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Johnson (Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Aaron Johnson wrote:

Hello Forum,

I am new to this site and in the short time that I've been here I've found a couple of threads that have solved a few issues I've had with my Homebrew program.

However, I need to create a "score" for my RPG game and don't have the skill (or talent) to even know where to start.

The music as you might know has to be a .mod file and size is an issue for the Gameboy Classic. The AAA game Last of Us has such a iconic soundtrack and the Gameboy is a 4 channel tin-can and what I've heard some of the artists here do with it is impressive, so where do I begin or find help?

Aaron

You're making a homebrew DMG game? As I'm sure you'll soon realize, with much of your CPU time being used for game logic and graphics you won't be able to mimic everything you hear from Game Boy songs written with LSDJ and the like.

Your first step really should be to implement your music and SFX routines. Until you do that, it'll be difficult to start diving deep into doing arrangements of your music.

Brittany
Aaron Johnson wrote:

The music as you might know has to be a .mod file and size is an issue for the Gameboy Classic.

You want to make your game for the gameboy, and it seems that you need a .mod file for your game. Then I guess you plan to use gbt-player in your game engine.

Aaron Johnson wrote:

The AAA game Last of Us has such a iconic soundtrack and the Gameboy is a 4 channel tin-can and what I've heard some of the artists here do with it is impressive, so where do I begin or find help?

Gbt-player is quite cool but with this tool you will never have the impressive sounds some people make with LSDJ or Nanoloop.

And even if it was possible, I don't think it would be a good idea, because in a video game you'll need 1 of the 4 channels for sound effects. And as jefftheworld said, complex music that can be made with LSDJ use a lot of the processing power of the gameboy, and it would be difficult to have a playable game. (and a good proportion of the cool gameboy stuff you can hear in the chipmusic community is quite heavily mastered, you won't be able to have this exact sound on a gameboy)

If you have no really good reason to create your game for the gameboy, I would advise to make your game for PC (with a limited color palette and resolution if you want), and use some recordings of LSDJ/Nanoloop or anything you like for the soundtrack.

Last edited by Gala (Jul 15, 2019 7:53 pm)

Thank you that was what I was afraid of. ... Well you know limitations make for creative solutions. Might do a little plucking "intro" and leave it at that. ... Thank you.

Last edited by Aaron Johnson (Jul 17, 2019 11:19 am)