Hello everyone! I want to tell you about my hobby project - NEStudio.

Important note: my english is far form perfect. So... You are prepared now wink.

==[ TL;DR ]==
Instead of a thousand words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_lVZHUbyk

==[ MOTIVATION ]==
NES music is my passion. I love it very much.

==[ GOAL ]==
I want to create program with abilities:
1. To use close to original representations of instruments of NES games;
2. To have original platform games soundtracks as projects.

==[ DEVELOPMENT STAGE ]==
Early stage. Pre-alpha or something like that. Program is clumsy, lacking of features but can be used already. Many many things to do... Only one track is deconstructed at the moment - "dck tls - track 5" (name is cryptic because I'm trying to avoid use of trademarks).

==[ IMPORTANT FEATURES ]==
1. Hardware emulation based sound generation (based on "game-music-emu", other emulation libraries could be added later)
2. Piano roll and step sequencer
3. Playlist for patterns arrangement
4. Undo/redo
5. My own project format (NSF support is highly unlikely, I'm sorry)

==[ TARGET PLATFORMS ]==
Windows version first. Native linux version later. Android tablet version later is very likely. Other platforms are possible too because program core is platform independent.

Please tell me what do you think about it smile It is very important at this stage of the project.

Last edited by CatNose (Oct 9, 2019 8:11 am)

Dallas, Texas

When you say it is deconstructions of games/soundtracks... are these roms that are being loaded in, and the song data/instruments are being analysed and displayed for the user to edit?

I expected my explanation to be confusing smile
So let me explain.
1) Deconstruction of soundtracks, not games
2) This is what I do, not user. I inspect and analyze nsf files for code and sound patterns. After that, I create and put into the library of the program ready-to-use analysis-based instruments (each of them is a C++ class actually). So program is supposed to be user friendly and easy to use at least in this aspect. The user does not need to analyze anything.
3) I also splitting the tunes from the nsf files into segments (patterns).

At this point user only can use existing instruments from the library available in the program. And library is very limited in current version. Most likely I will add ability to use custom instruments in later versions.

Dallas, Texas

Oh ok I see. So the user inputs an NSF. When you stated that NSF support would be unlikely, I wrongly assumed this also meant input. not just the save format. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Oct 9, 2019 7:04 pm)

Sorry I confused you again smile
User doesn't input NSF. User just creates new project in my program. This is that simple. Then user uses any set of instruments available in the library. I will add many instruments from different NES games soundtracks in later versions.

Dallas, Texas

lol, I think I just suck at reading. Reading it a second time, you explained it correct and well. You mentioned  "This is what I do, not user.". I will learn to read better, haha.

Nevermind smile Ask any question you want. I like explaining it.

Dallas, Texas

Sure. Since your save format is unique and there is no NSF exporting, will you have any MP3 or WAV exporting option? Or does the user have to find a way to record the output of their desktop computer?

WAV export is supported. But is It is very basic now. I will improve it. MP3 export is also planned.

I didn't show it in my video. D'oh! I need to be more careful next time.

Hello everyone!
My program just updated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPw3vv91St4

Nothing big this time. I was very busy doing really huge code refactoring most of the time (coding in rush is bad!). But at least new project is available!
I hope to make more important changes next time!

I really love what you are doing here! Especially adding new instruments. Such a nice way for people to get into producing chiptune without having to deal with trackers and programming your own instruments (half the fun for me, but I would've loved such a program back in the day).
Keep up the good work!

Dark_Bit_ wrote:

I really love what you are doing here! Especially adding new instruments. Such a nice way for people to get into producing chiptune without having to deal with trackers and programming your own instruments (half the fun for me, but I would've loved such a program back in the day).
Keep up the good work!

Thank you, Dark_Bit_! I'm happy to see positive feedback. It motivates me.

Hello again smile
Another update is ready. I hope you will like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM8q0gl66bo

Hey! It's me again.
I just published new version of NEStudio:
https://youtu.be/fIpZl3D1EbU

I managed to add support of automatic echo for new set of instruments! Isn't it cool?
I hope you will like it smile

Last edited by CatNose (Dec 19, 2019 2:18 pm)

This is brilliant. Thank you for your hard work.

Do you ever plan on adding in VRC6 capabilities?