Jessup, Maryland

Which do you think is the best way of making music

hardware (only using synth keys, mpcs, ext eqls, ect)

software (only using fl studio, albeton, reason, ect)

Hybrid (this option is more obvious than the last two)

philly

I think everyone from this forum will rush to tell you that there's no best way, and that the only concern should be on making good music. smile

I realize this isn't very insightful, but it all comes down to preference. I'm someone who appreciates hardware. I admire the various devices made that produce chip music, and like hearing how they're used. Kind of like a vintage synth fetish. However, there are people making awesome music with software. Nothing is necessarily better or worse off for using hardware or not.

A gray world of dread
bucky wrote:

I think everyone from this forum will rush to tell you that there's no best way, and that the only concern should be on making good music. smile

This.

I prefer software, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to bother with hardware. There are some machines which really tempt me though. On the other hand, I enjoy the freedom software allows me. I can play with limitations or ignore them, I can kit together a synth idea as VSTi in 20 minutes when soldering would take me hours, and without the risk of destroying expensive hardware.
But really, there is no formula. Whatever works, works.

VA

I use what works best for me smile

Don't worry about chiptune dogma.

New York, New York

I don't use the fancy instruments on computer (trackers for me), although I will admit Piston Collage is interesting enough to someday use. It may be the interface is tracker or piano scroll, I just have to find it interesting. Programs running on the consoles, like NES or Game Boy, that feel raw when notes play from inspire my music.

Jessup, Maryland
bucky wrote:

I think everyone from this forum will rush to tell you that there's no best way, and that the only concern should be on making good music. smile.

yay i get what your saying
i just asked because i thought it would be cool to see whos into what
i myself prefer the hybrid route

Matthew Joseph Payne
µB wrote:

I prefer software, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to bother with hardware.

I prefer hardware, for the exact same reason - if you switch the words "hardware" and "software". smile

Chicago IL

i used to do one or the other, now i'm moving into hybrid territory (sampling lsdj / ft etc and putting it into either ableton or reason).

Washington DC

I started out software. Now I am 100% hardware. Blame esc.

I mostly decided to go more towards hardware because I like having things to toy around with live. Also i just love having all these little doodads and wires and stuff all over. It just looks/feels really cool to me.

Jessup, Maryland
Dauragon wrote:

I started out software. Now I am 100% hardware. Blame esc.

I mostly decided to go more towards hardware because I like having things to toy around with live. Also i just love having all these little doodads and wires and stuff all over. It just looks/feels really cool to me.

i feel you on that one
i want to get more hardware like the akai mpd32 and a new eql
but right now all i got is this old pioneer sender and an ancient yamaha psr140 keyboard

Hardware.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PlainFlavored wrote:

Hardware.

That's actually called wetware.

Anahiem, CA
Dauragon wrote:

Also i just love having all these little doodads and wires and stuff all over. It just looks/feels really cool to me.

This.

Philly, PA, USA
Piksel Blue wrote:

I don't know if i would consider the mpd32 "hardware" per se. It's a hardware interface, which is definitely always nice, but it's just a controller isn't it?

as for myself, if you call the gameboy hardware, i prefer that, but only because of the software, i couldn't do real keyboards because i can't play for shit

AANABAY01

i rehearse on stage instruments and then track on PC

my tracked music sounds worse zan my performed music but zen i hate my listeners

Jessup, Maryland
pixls wrote:
Piksel Blue wrote:

I don't know if i would consider the mpd32 "hardware" per se. shit

by hardware i mean anything out side of your comps keyboard and mouse.