rochester, ny

i've played lots of shows with bands i've been in and i've used LSDJ with my band before (but that consisted of just hitting play, while i played guitar along with it). this saturday is my first time playing a show with just a single gameboy and LSDJ. any tips? stuff you hadn't thought of that you wish you had?

basically, i'm asking for some pointers / anecdotes about using LSDJ in a live setting. thanks!

Remember to press start.

rochester, ny
PlainFlavored wrote:

Remember to press start.

things to remember:

#1. press start.

okay got it.

Riverside, CA

Remember to press start again when the song's finished.
smile

AANABAY01

unless you're just playing to other chip guys you will probably need something on stage to distract from ze fact you're standing there with a gameboy

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Use LIVE mode to change things up a little.
Use the transpose.
Adjust the BPM.
Throw the sync mode into slave mode then back again to get a stutter effect.

If you bring a small mixer to use on stage, there's even more you can do.

Use the high, mid & low boost pots as a filters to pull all the high, mid or bass out for a bar or two.  Swing the pan pots back and forth for stereo effects. Quickly tap the mute(s) to get a decimator type effect.

Iunno.  There're plenty of things.  You play guitar?  Hook up an effect pedal or two.

sweden

Play guitar along with it.

Huddersfield, UK

Drink a moderate amount of alcohol.
Tell unfunny jokes.
Wear a mask.
Do a polka dance.

Washington DC

At this point it seems like really cheeky advice, but in all seriously all you gotta do is:

1.) Push start
2.) Pump fist

It fucking works man. Just roll with that and the rest will come naturally.

Boulder, CO
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

unless you're just playing to other chip guys you will probably need something on stage to distract from ze fact you're standing there with a gameboy

False. Some of the best shows I played were to a completely non-chip crowd with no visuals or anything, just me with a DMG in live mode while parameter fucking.

England

Try and get beaten up for being gay.

I always thought being gay involved something completely different but it appears that I'm wrong: making music on a Game Boy is gay.

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 7, 2010 1:01 pm)

New York City

Sadness comes to me when reading this thread.

The best advice is to relax. Your first gig might probably come with a bunch of problems and you probably will be nervous.
Take every cable you will need, do not rely on the venue to give you a thing. If you are using battery powered devices, make sure your batteries are fresh. If you plug to mains, take every PSU and a power strip. This way you assure your sound will come out and you can perform.

Just try to have a good time, if you have a good time, people have a good time.

Melbourne, Australia

Pretend to use live mode, but don't actually do it. That way you can't stuff it up.

☺☺☺

BATTERIES BATTERIES (extra) BATTERIES. ive gotten to the venue and realized one dmg had switched itself on in my bag, get about two songs in and it starts dying. I remember a guy standing up in front yelling "oh shit ive got some sitting batteries sitting at home"  me not knowing the guy said "yeah i shouldve called you! shit!" Long story short I had to wing the rest of my set with one gameboy. I couldnt imagine getting there with one gameboy and one set of batteries(thats why i take two)

Plus my other bit of advice: Lgpt is your friend, EMS carts are not, luckily all of these horrible crashes ive been having arent on stage......Ive been looping my gameboy tracks in LGPT so if shit hits the fan i have a backup that will crash....but not wipe.

For your very first show:
Make sure everything is well planned and prepared as Akira also suggests.
Rehearse your set.
Keep it fairly simple.
Make contact with the audience (I'm sure you're well familiar with the concept since you played live before, just a reminder if you get nervous).

Good luck!

Liverpool, UK

Get naked