california

So I just got an EMS cart with LSDJ. It's radical! The only glitch so far is that the noise channel will cut out ever now and again. Maybe once out of every fifteen measures, I won't hear my noise snare. It's not a huge deal, but what the hell? Is it programmer error on my part? It's only happened with one song so far.

Abandoned on Fire

Happens occasionally.  There's an option in the song menu to prevent it... don't have a gb with me to tell you exactly where.

EDIT:  Sorry, it's in the noise instrument screen --

From the changelog:

* noise instrument: add "S CMD" setting. "FREE" keeps classic S command
   behavior. "STABLE" prevents the noise generator from switching between
   7-bit and 15-bit LFSR, as it occasionally mutes the sound.
   adjust the setting to suit your personality.

Last edited by egr (Oct 13, 2010 7:14 pm)

Milan, Italy

isn't it the usual "tables on noise channel instruments" problem?

Just use some less "heavy" tables.

San Francisco

my version doesnt have such nonsense. USE THE OLDSCHOOL LIKE A MAN.

california

AAhhh. The table isn't too heavy tho. This is what is looks like:

tsp   cmd
EF   S 4B
00    S 14
00    H 00

So, yea. I'm changing the shape really fast...I guess maybe the S commands are a bit superfluous. I like how it sounds tho. I'll tinker. The funny thing is that I'm using the "STABLE" setting.

wedanced wrote:

Yeah I just got 4.0. Comes with a strawberry lip gloss.

Melbtown, Lolstralia

I have actually been having this problem too.... will try and switching those settings and see what is happening (v. 4.0)

Canada

I find that if I play anything in the noise channel on a Game Boy Color it skips about a third of the notes randomly. That's on multiple different ones too. DMGs and SPs work fine though.

Last edited by Rolf (Oct 14, 2010 1:54 am)

babylon

Yeah a table like that would fuck it up.  I beleive you need 4.0.5 or up for the free option. I know its not on 4.0.4.

Edit: or maybe is not there cause I have the stable version?

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Oct 14, 2010 8:05 am)

Brooklon
gizmo wrote:

tsp   cmd
EF   S 4B
00    S 14
00    H 00

I table like this would definitely fuck shit up for your noise channel. Keep in mind the noise channel is a delicate flower. Combining transpositions with massive shape jumps like that and slapping a hop command on it all will spell disaster. Either nab a copy of 4.0.5 (although, and maybe this is just me, but I feel like I've had drop out issues with 4.0.5 as well) or pare down your noise channel tables.

killadelphia
wedanced wrote:

um...  upgrading to 4.0 is very advantageous because of the stable S command.

this will fix what all of you are talking about.

do this in a table

S 00
S 00
S 01
S 01
S 02
S 02
S 01
S 01
H

instead of using the TSP for arps.

also set the S command to stable.

Last edited by animalstyle (Oct 15, 2010 1:26 am)

california

Whoops, i actually do have 4.0.5. I just stopped using the outrageous shape changes. But I'll try animal style's thing. I actually don't fully understand the changes created by the S command yet. I just have to mess with it till I like how it sounds. Need to learn the logic of it.

I do have to say, I love 4.0.5. The "prelisten" option is so tight.

Rolf wrote:

I find that if I play anything in the noise channel on a Game Boy Color it skips about a third of the notes randomly. That's on multiple different ones too. DMGs and SPs work fine though.

Gah! The gbc inferior sound architecture strikes again!

Last edited by gizmo (Oct 14, 2010 8:59 pm)

Los Angeles
gizmo wrote:

Whoops, i actually do have 4.0.5. I just stopped using the outrageous shape changes. But I'll try animal style's thing. I actually don't fully understand the changes created by the S command yet. I just have to mess with it till I like how it sounds. Need to learn the logic of it.

I do have to say, I love 4.0.5. The "prelisten" option is so tight.

The point is to not use tsp with the noise channel. Use the S command for pitch changes. smile

california

Gotcha. smile

Brooklon
gizmo wrote:

I actually don't fully understand the changes created by the S command yet.

There's not much to know, tbh. Just know that S commands are additive in the sense that

S01
S00
S01
SFE

Will result, at the end, in only a one step change from the shape designated in the instrument screen. S00 does not return the shape to its original form in the way that a 00 in the TSP column would. Anyway, you've probably already figured this stuff out.

Oh, and prelisten is indeed awesome, right? Don't really know how I tracked for so long without it. It's like writing in the dark.

california

Hey guise, I have another question. Sorry hope it's not too annoying.

Is the F command supposed to make your instrument sound like crap? I mean is there supposed to be a click sound between each frame change? I get this on both my emulator and GBC. But I just heard a song where someone used i cool synth, and am now jealous. His song uses the frame changes without a loud clicking. hmm

Note! wrote:

S00 does not return the shape to its original form in the way that a 00 in the TSP column would.

Yah, that's what tripped me up in the beginning. I have to use TSP to have it not be additive.

Last edited by gizmo (Oct 17, 2010 11:12 pm)

Brooklon
gizmo wrote:

Hey guise, I have another question. Sorry hope it's not too annoying.

Is the F command supposed to make your instrument sound like crap? I mean is there supposed to be a click sound between each frame change? I get this on both my emulator and GBC. But I just heard a song where someone used i cool synth, and am now jealous. His song uses the frame changes without a loud clicking

Time the F commands up with the noise channel or other percussion (hh or snare or whatevs). It'll mask the clicks caused by the frame change.

That's what I did in this track at least - especially on the first wav lead and later solo. I think they are pretty smooth frame changes although I'm certain there are better examples out there.

Last edited by Note! (Oct 17, 2010 11:35 pm)