Abandoned on Fire

Oh... yeah, could be.

tbh it's not that people are jerks to each other, it's more that if you disagree with the chipscene majority or dislike some track you're automatically put in the jerk pile.  hence threads like this appear where the same 10 guys congratulate each other and everything stays boring and cosy.

Abandoned on Fire
Heosphoros wrote:

You're only punishing yourself by searching for images like that... tongue
Also, it's common knowledge that Alf loves to eat pussy

cats.

Brooklyn NY US

At the risk of sounding either grotesquely naïve or grotesquely detached — do you guys think it's really like that? I really have never gotten the impression that "most of the posters here are huge contentious jerks to each other" (as per Jay Tholen) — especially on this particular board — or that there's any implicit pressure to align with a majority opinion. Who throws 4mat on a jerk pile? A JERK THAT'S WHO.

Abandoned on Fire

No, I don't really feel there's a significant amount of jerkitude here.  The internet in general does have a absurdly long memory for any embarrassing or jerky behavior tho, so when something comes up it hangs around FOREVER.

4mat wrote:

tbh it's not that people are jerks to each other, it's more that if you disagree with the chipscene majority or dislike some track you're automatically put in the jerk pile.  hence threads like this appear where the same 10 guys congratulate each other and everything stays boring and cosy.

This is a much more accurate assessment of the state of things. Chipmusic is definitely littered with sycophants.

Brooklyn NY US

OK sure — but are there repercussions to disagreeing with the ass-kissers?

WOW MAN!

Someone has won the prize. I'm not saying who though.

I feel a bit dirty now.

Cambridge UK
Bit Shifter wrote:

OK sure — but are there repercussions to disagreeing with the ass-kissers?

Your threads being closed, being called a troll, being laughed at on IRC : that is only for less established.

You, sir, will never experience it, because you are mighty ass-kissed.

I feel there is definitely a double standard going on here.
We could definitely be more welcoming to new members, open to criticism, etc...

And now, I resume being a non-american non-chipmusician girl who contributes nothing to this comunity.

Florida

I was mostly kidding in the little preface.

Unsubscribe

I should back up and say Im a huge fan of Jay Tholen's music.

I have three internet rules
1. Be Interesting
2. Be Cool
3. Be Patient.

Brooklyn NY US

Speaking as one of the less-active moderators here (and without in any way intending to cast this as a mods-vs-users thing), I think the mods here in general (who do a lot more than I do) try to proceed pretty carefully & in a considered way when it comes to thread-closing. I'm open to being proven wrong, but I'm doubtful that there have been too many threads closed as a result of people in some way not getting "on-board" with some kind of majority opinion. And I think it takes some pretty specific and particular behavior to be thought of as a troll. More than simply having an unpopular opinion about something. No? As for my ass — despite my tireless efforts to actively promote and encourage its kissing, I still maintain in a general sense that nobody should hesitate to deviate from the opinions of sycophants.

BOSTON

ok ok, regardless of whether or not you agree with Mr. Tholen, the fact that a 'love each-other' thread is like 80% negative kind of gives weight to his point.

But I think the issue people are taking isn't the love each-other aspect of thread (perhaps heosphoros), its the 'contentious jerks' wording in teh OP...

IDK i love all of you pessimistic, critical jerks/not-jerks, even if you dont like it big_smile

DAmn! I just read george's post. that was awesome. shits going down heart

George wrote:

And now, I resume being a non-american non-chipmusician girl who contributes nothing to this comunity.

I would like to continue with the original intent of this thread here:

George: You contribute a lot. You provide a much needed "outsider" perspective, despite being very thoroughly "inside" (whether you think so or not) big_smile

Also your chipscene is WORLD FUCKING CLASS heart heart heart

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm)

San Antonio, Texas

Love? Perhaps too strong of an emotion.

For me, its more like respect for your talent/potential.

Last edited by Star Fighter Dreams (Oct 19, 2010 6:48 pm)

United Kingdom
neilbaldwin wrote:

Someone has won the prize. I'm not saying who though.

I feel a bit dirty now.

Be a devil.