I wrote a bunch of crap but I regret it now

Last edited by Battle Lava (Oct 29, 2010 12:53 am)

SLC, UT

I stand by my 5 to 1 ratio. But also, define chip music. Does it include the moon stage on Ducktails or the Journey to Silius soundtrack? It seems like the chip community generally has a hard time defining it, and almost defines it in a condescending way. So I will say that I think that almost anyone of our generation would at least be intrigued by it, but I don't think most people would listen to it on a regular basis. Unless you count anamanaguchi then that at least quadruples everything.

Also, I sent the email.

Also, you like the word aforementioned don't you? DON'T YOU!?

Madison, WI

No, that's VGM, and I consider it to be a subgenre of chipmusic when speaking about some of the older consoles.  There are plenty of folks out there that listen to the original VGM compositions, as well as orchestral and electronic remixes, and don't have an interest in the larger realm of chipmusic as a whole so I'd like to keep them separate.

Milwaukee, WI

Since no one else can be bothered with my nullsleep jesus request, I'll do it myself:

HOLLER!

Last edited by RG (Oct 29, 2010 6:37 am)

I think the real question is:

WHERE THE BITCHES AT?

Minneapolis

Bah, market analysis is overrated. Besides, anyone who can't appreciate VGM on its own doesn't deserve chipmusic anyway. wink

Seriously though, why can't we leave the lurkers in peace and allow them to quietly enjoy basking in the glories of chipmusic? Let sleeping dogs lie and stuff.

Anahiem, CA

Well, I used to be part of this so-called silent population before I actually tried to make music. Its fairly large, but its mostly people from other 'scenes'. My friends and I listened to, for a lack of a better term, hardcore/rock music and electronic/idm. So, we always supported bands and artists that we enjoy, but just never got involved with the scene.

I just decided to take the dive and try to break into this scene, but its harder than expected when the LA scene is pretty small when it comes to shows.

Westfield, NJ

A friend of mine really likes Lady Gaga but I don't think she goes on forums and talks about pop music.

Melbourne, Australia

I don't know about you, but there's lots of things that I like that I don't actively participate in the community for (specific movies, or books or other types of music).

I think judging by the turn out we have for shows, in Oz that silent majority is even higher, I mean if we can get 90% of the people attending a show be people we have no idea who they are (or at least, who we know aren't "actively" participating in the scene) then I reckon there's probably heaps of people out there that like chip enough to listen to it, but not necessarily enough to hang out online and talk about it.

I lurk.  I came to these sites to find info on the craft.  At first I was elated to find people with like interests who would actually understand what I was talking about.  But the more I read and yes, occasionally posted the more I realized that people are assholes to each other... even in a place where I kind of fit in.  I often keep my opinion to myself here and other places because usually the end result will be bullshit.  I make music daily... haven't put any on the internet for over 3 years.  My infatuation with chipmusic has become something like masturbation... I do it often for my own sanity; but I don't talk about it much because people don't want to hear about it.. not even other people who are into the same thing.  I pay attention tho.  I contribute to the "scene" most openly by blasting chiptunes as loud as I can in my car in populated areas.

Washington DC
PlainFlavored wrote:

WHERE THE BITCHES AT?

Unsubscribe
PlainFlavored wrote:

WHERE THE BITCHES AT?

You dont read all the posts here, huh?

Tokyo, Japan

Doesn't most art and media have large numbers of silent fans? The vast majority of people who like movies aren't making movies etc?

PlainFlavored wrote:

WHERE THE BITCHES AT?

If you are talking about your mom, shes at my house, want me to clean her up and send her back?

Washington DC
Lazerbeat wrote:

Doesn't most art and media have large numbers of silent fans? The vast majority of people who like movies aren't making movies etc?

PlainFlavored wrote:

WHERE THE BITCHES AT?

If you are talking about your mom, shes at my house, want me to clean her up and send her back?

Washington DC

*Ahem*

Oh SNAP!

In my experience I hadn't even heard of 'the chipscene' or 8bc until like a year ago.  So I put that (and this place) in the minority.  Most of the guys I know don't even hang out in that scene at all.  People have been making and listening to this stuff for so long but you kinda get the impression 'the chipscene' think they invented it. smile