Madison, WI

I'm recalling a discussion I had in New York several months ago:

I was discussing the pool of chipmusicians, chipmusic fans, etc., and someone brought up an observation 8bitweapon had made about how he saw numbers on his CD sales (or something similar, I can't recall exactly what it was) that pointed to the fact that there were likely quite a few people out there that have an interest in chipmusic, yet choose not to join in on discussion at the forums, compose music, purchase wares from the myriad of shops available that cater to our wants and needs, etc.

I'm curious if any of you have considered this invisible, silent group, and, if so, how large you think it is compared to the outspoken group we have here and elsewhere on the interwebs, percentage-wise.

Liverpool, UK

The people who know chipmusic should be kept in the deepest darkest recesses of their mind, and it should never be admitted in public their sick, sick liking for this bollox

East Kilbride, Scotland
calmdownkidder wrote:

The people who know chipmusic should be kept in the deepest darkest recesses of their mind, and it should never be admitted in public their sick, sick liking for this bollox

When shirts like this exist, you can see why people hide the fact that they like chiptune.

http://www.audiolife.com/store/FTF/Merc … eID=7&

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (Oct 28, 2010 10:17 pm)

Liverpool, UK
Sycamore Drive wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

When shirts like this exist, you can see why people hide the fact that they like chiptune.

inb4 BRK t-shirts

Milwaukee, WI
nonfinite wrote:

I'm recalling a discussion I had in New York several months ago:

I was discussing the pool of chipmusicians, chipmusic fans, etc., and someone brought up an observation 8bitweapon had made about how he saw numbers on his CD sales (or something similar, I can't recall exactly what it was) that pointed to the fact that there were likely quite a few people out there that have an interest in chipmusic, yet choose not to join in on discussion at the forums, compose music, purchase wares from the myriad of shops available that cater to our wants and needs, etc.

I'm curious if any of you have considered this invisible, silent group, and, if so, how large you think it is compared to the outspoken group we have here and elsewhere on the interwebs, percentage-wise.

Can I get an epic, nullsleep jesus facepalm up in this bitch?

HOLLER!

Madison, WI
Sycamore Drive wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

It's interesting to see the cliches this shirt buys into while catering to such a specific group... even better, I think it's great that the few that DO get it will still think it's trite.  I've had people come up to me and ask "What game is this?", as many of the rest of you no doubt have, but the question still stands:

For every one of us that has a presence here, how many of us don't?

Liverpool, UK

People who like music who aren't into 'the scene' are in all sorts of music scenes - I like punk-rock/pop-punk/hardcore type music, but aside from keeping an eye out on bands/going to local shows, I don't really get involved in 'the scene'!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Unsubscribe

based on gooch twitter stats and tctd reader stats im gonna guesstimate that there are 200-350 lurkers for every chipscene active voice.

SLC, UT

There's at least a 5 to 1 ratio of people who like the music to people who participate the 'scene'. But then you bring up scenesters who participate in the 'scene' but don't actually like the music. I think scenes are dumb. As dumb as 'indie' as a music genre. I just like what I like and I don't really worry about what's going on with the 'scene'.

Sidenote: You better send my battery cover or I'll release the hounds on you. Or at least be forced to have cramped hands for the rest of my life!

matt's mind

guys, guys...  your ratios are all wrong....  its 37:1.

exactly.

Liverpool, UK

IN A ROW?

SLC, UT

No. It's closer to..........ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

Madison, WI

Stargazer, you make a valid point.  My initial post didn't factor in scenesters that don't have a real interest in the music.  Chipmusic fans sort of covers it, but how about we amend that to "followers of chipmusic"?  Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that they are included in my aforementioned outspoken population.

Also, if you haven't sent me an email regarding that battery cover, please do.  info@nonelectronics.

Last edited by nonfinite (Oct 28, 2010 11:32 pm)

Godzilladelph

well, while we're on the topic of slightly obnoxious scene memes
i'm going to guess the number is over 9,000

Abandoned on Fire
calmdownkidder wrote:

IN A ROW?

Fucking lol! That came outta nowhere smile

Edit:  shoulda said "that's beautiful man"

Last edited by egr (Oct 29, 2010 12:33 am)