Whitley Bay, England

Recently, I've encountered a problem when using LSDJ on my DMG, with my 64M EMS USB cart. Every so often, the program will seem to freeze - it will still keep playing, but I can't move the cursor up or down or left or right. I can stop and start it, but it will stay stuck for a fair while.
And while it's stuck like this, pressing left/right changes the chain number up/down, respectively.
I haven't noticed this when using LSDJ on my SP - but then again, I haven't used my SP intensively enough to see if it doesn't occur. It doesn't seem to be a normal cart crash (from an overload of tables and whatever on the CPU), as it happens on fairly simple songs. I also deleted like 5 songs from my .sav so I only have around 10/12 songs or so.
Is this a problem with my hardware, or software? It really discourages me using LSDJ, as I never know when it will do this sad

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sounds more like a button on your game boy is a little sticky...

Whitley Bay, England

Nope, it happens on both my DMGs, and I don't experience the same problem on any other software.
I can switch between screens btw, I forgot to mention that. However, I can't do anything else when it freezes - just stop/start and switch screens.

matt's mind

i'd suggest formatting and reflashing your cart.  it sounds like part of LSDj went missing in the data transfer or something...  i mean, considering you are getting the same error on different consoles.  the commonality would be the cart or software, and it would be more easily explained through a bad flash.

Whitley Bay, England

I'll give that a try, cheers!
Hopefully, this will resolve it...

Whitley Bay, England

I finally got a chance to try it - backed up my save, rewrote lsdj to the cart (same ROM I've used for months, before this problem started).
It hasn't fixed it.
Could it be my save? I'll send it to anyone who reckons they can fix it - it's really quite crippling sad

Sydney AUS

I had a similar problem. I loaded my Rom onto an emulator and it still crashed, so I figured it was the ROM. I had filled the rom to capacity with custom kits, so I deleted these and it stopped crashing every 2 minutes. However, it does still crash every so often, which I put down to it NEVER properly ejecting from my computer. I think the GB usb flash software is flawed by design, cause the program freezes my computer until I manually rip the USB cable out.
I'm not a genius when it comes to computers, and I don't work in IT, but this seems to be a common problem so it'd be great if someone with a clue could help.

Whitley Bay, England

I have one custom kit on my ROM, but none otherwise.
I don't have any problem with ejecting it from the software or anything, and I've had my cart for almost a year I believe. This is the first time I've encountered problems.
I've held off upgrading to the latest ROM as I don't want to lose my custom kits, and worry about what would happen to my songs that currently use custom kits.

Sydney AUS

Just save the Rom using GB_USB which comes with the cart, and save the SRAM as well. Then you have backups of the rom with the kits needed, and the songs.
I try to reflash, on the advice of others, and GB_USB freezes the computer while formatting. I've taken the problem to the Hkems forum in the past. No support. So frustrating.

clovis CA
abortifacient wrote:

Just save the Rom using GB_USB which comes with the cart, and save the SRAM as well. Then you have backups of the rom with the kits needed, and the songs.
I try to reflash, on the advice of others, and GB_USB freezes the computer while formatting. I've taken the problem to the Hkems forum in the past. No support. So frustrating.

i could never get a driver to properly work on any of the pc's i have =/

it gave me all kinds of error codes

my problem now though is that it just says that a usb device has malfunctioned and it wont let me put a driver on it =/

gb usb runs fine, but it cant recognize the cart

Last edited by Alley Beach (Nov 9, 2010 3:13 pm)

matt's mind

if you are on 64bit machines, you've got to be in test mode and have digitally signed the drivers through the DSEO software... 

on 32bit machines, or 64bit, for that matter...  if the install doesn't go right, or something is malfunctioning, go to 'devices and printers'.  if the cart is plugged in and working right, it will appear as funtional here.  if there is anything wrong with the driver install, you'll get an error in this section.  don't bother troubleshooting it or auto-fixing anything....  its all got the be done by hand.

so, first is to uninstall the drivers from the device.  unplug the cart and everything.  then, open dseo and go into test mode (if you already aren't).  and, restart your comp.  next, digitally sign the files you need.  and, again, restart your comp.  then, plug in the cart and do the manual install.

my first install of the drivers went pretty smoothly after i got off my dell XPS (these machines, 400 series dell's in general, have issues running some drivers it seems).  but, i deleted my files accidently, and the reinstall i had to do a couple times.  same procedure each time.  but, it only worked after the third try about.  and, i haven't had issues at all since.

Whitley Bay, England

My machine is a like 10 year old dell, and has no problems.
I've backed up my save, and ROM - that isn't the problem.
I was wondering what would happen if I used the sav with a ROM without the kit patched in, and what would happen to the songs that use it.

However, I'd really love this to be sorted. I don't think it's the flashing software as I have never had a problem with it...

Whitley Bay, England

Yeah, so I turned on my DMG today, and my cart crashed...
I finally got it to display something other than a blank screen, and it was filled with 00's and 39's.
However, as this was actually during an audition for my school's rock night, I had to play, so tried loading up songs. It worked fine, but very clearly something is fucked with my save.

Is there anyone I can send it to and get it sorted? I have a backup of the save from before it crashed, but considering I didn't turn it off when it was playing or whatever, the problem already existed (hence the freezing).

Sweeeeeeden

I actually think the original problem is a problem with the buttons of the Gameboy. Ie, a short circuit between the buttons.

Do you mean to get the sav fixed?

Whitley Bay, England

I never have the problem with any other game, and it happens on multiple gameboys. No way is it a short like that. Also, it only happens every once in a while.
Did you get my e-mail?
And yeah, I need this sav fixed pretty desperately

Sweeeeeeden

I had/have a similar problem on a 'boy that someone asked me to fix. I just replaced the innards and kept the broken boards for myself for future analysis. Perhaps I'll be able to figure it out one day. smile
It might be that the keyboard input is half-broken because the -18V power supply line for the LCD touched one of the lines related to joypad input. NeX, care to comment?

Oh that was your mail... Didn't realize. Yeah, I'll take a look at it.