los angeles

dear syphus, i love this program

i would like to ask, is .it support possible or planned in a future update?

having same problem as the others with adding files.  tried add mod,add playlist and drag/drop.  win xp sp3, java (build 1.7.0-b147)

Newcastle, UK

Thanks, Aeros. Yeah, I've pinned it down - it *is* a \ vs / pathname issue. Fixing it now smile

By the way, I can't get the console to run via the Java control panel either - I think that option only works for browser applets (though Oracle don't make that clear at all). I managed to get a console readout in Win7 by doing:

java -jar C:\Users\echolevel\Desktop\Chipdisco6.1_Win\Chipdisco6_Win\lib\Chipdisco6.jar c.p.Chipdisco

Hopefully you won't need to use that, unless something else goes wrong... wink

Newcastle, UK

shiroshii - I'd like to support .it, but I'd have to get considerably better at coding in order to implement the filters. The NNAs, I *think* I could get my head around, but I'll have to research the format. I'd also love to support AHX, but that's a whole different kettle of fish...

Newcastle, UK

Okay, that bug is fixed - tests fine on Windows 7, should also be fine on XP. Please redownload http://echolevel.co.uk/chipdisco/Chipdisco6.1_Win.zip!

Joliette, QC, Canada

Everything fine for me on Win 7 64bits, you're the man Syphus ! smile

Nomad's Land

tried it on debian wheezy (3.x kernel, 32bit, lx desktop), it does nothing but display the gui sad all my other java progs run fine, so i'm sure it's not my gfx card this time.

Newcastle, UK

Oh dear! Could you try running it from a shell window as described above to see if it puts out an error message? If it's starting up and then just going nuts, it should be printing a stack trace with details of the exception and that might hold some helpful clues. Thanks!

Nomad's Land

after a bit more fiddling with the java settings, i at least got the controls to work, although everything is extremely sluggish. and sadly, no sound - seems there are problems with the new pulse libs. i've put the a console log for you here: http://irrlichtproject.de/downloads/errordump.txt

i guess the best way to find out what's really going on would be to recompile the whole thing on my system, but unfortunately i don't have the java devtools and i can't download them either at the moment. so, unless you can spot something obvious in the log, i'd say don't worry too much about this. when i have proper internet again (maybe in 1-2 months) i'll compile the sources myself and see what happens then. fortunately the next debian is still far away and i suppose not many people here are using the unstable one.

Newcastle, UK

Sorry for the delay in replying - the site normally emails me when a thread I'm subscribed to gets a reply, but this time it didn't... Thanks for the log - the first exception is expected, just means the config files aren't in place (but they're not necessary so that's cool). So yeah, Pulse. I've been reading up on this for the RaspberryPi stuff I'm doing with a heavily cut-down version of Chipdisco. Seems that the Pulse situation is fairly crazy in Debian at the minute, particularly on ARM (although I assume you're on x86/x64), and the only thing I can think of to suggest is that you experiment with uninstalling and reinstalling ALSA, Pulse and the associated bits and pieces in different combinations. It's annoying that Linux audio always causes such problems with Oracle's JVM, especially since it *should* be better in terms of latency and performance than Windows' or OS X's interfaces to the JVM. Someone's introduced me to a project called 'jjack' (yup, Java JACK) and though it'll mean forking my code and probably a fair bit of redevelopment, I'm hoping that it'll behave like a native library that'll speak to ALSA/Pulse in a much more friendly and compatible way.

Actually, I think even if you recompiled the whole thing on your system, you'd get the same errors: these errors are the stack traces I've told Chipdisco to print in the event of the types of problems it's running into, so technically it's working just as it should. Hopefully a bit of ALSA/Pulse tweaking (though not to the extent that it risks ruining your system) will help...

Oh, as for the sluggishness, I'm not sure what's happening there. Is there any chance you're using the open-JDK? Oracle's JVM doesn't come as standard since there are licencing issues at odds with Debian and most other Linux distros. (Apologies if we've been through this before, by the way - it's late and I can't remember!) Open-JDK apparently has a range of problems of its own, some concerning sound, some concerning JIT runtime compilation stuff that I don't understand. Also, my brain's starting to blur the boundaries between the x86 and the ARM issues, some of which are distinct and some of which are shared... I'm not sure how to do it on x86 Linux, but I think you can download a full JVM package from Oracle's website (maybe ~30MB), unpack it and then temporarily point your global java path vars at it. You'd best search for a tutorial for that, though, written by somebody who's actually (and safely) done it smile

NC in the US of America

On my Windows XP machine, Chipdisco's unresizable window doesn't quite fit on my 1024x768 resolution screen, but it fits enough to be usable. Unfortunately, the right side of the interface is cut off, so only about 4/5 of the full interface is visible. I was searching around in the readme and config file for a resolution/resize/font size option (or maybe some keyboard shortcuts), but didn't find anything.

Is there a solution for this?

Also, side-note, is there a reason the readme and config files are not included in the zips? Is it to keep a tab on how many people actually bother to look at them? lol

Newcastle, UK

Hi SketchMan3! I'm afraid there are various tedious reasons why Chipdisco isn't resizeable, the most stark and unilluminating of which is that Processing/Java applications don't resize well. It's possible to resize them, but because so many percentage and coordinate-based layout values rely on fixed dimensions and can't be specified as variables during the initial setup/loading, resizing causes everything to break. I spent a lot of time trying to work around this and did actually figure out how the problem could mostly be solved, but it required a few too many compromises and a lot more work than I could afford to put into it (especially after we moved house and had a baby).

In parallel with all this, I was getting annoyed by the fiddliness of the 800x600 interface Chipdisco originally used (I'd wanted to use it on my netbooks) and I just decided that, for the sake of being able to use Chipdisco comfortably the way I was trying to use it - in dark nightclubs after a few drinks - I would increase the size and make all those control elements huge and foolproof. No more pixel-sniping in the dark with a crappy netbook touchpad! The downside is that it forces me to take a 12" Macbook or a 14" VAIO out to gigs, but then my Eee 901 netbook had been struggling with playback occasionally and I'd been starting to doubt that this was a netbook-friendly app. Java's just a resource-hog anyway, especially with my inefficient code, but it's the only language I know hmm

Readme/config files in zips: good question! Easy answer, too: the last time I fixed and rebuilt all the zips, I forgot to manually add them. When I get a spare moment, I'll add them into the build process so it's done automatically smile

Sorry about the resize thing. I know it's obnoxious of a program to refuse to resize gracefully and one day I'll crack the problem entirely, so it can be done freely (or proportionally). It's a problem for Processing in general, so I occasionally ask around in the Processing community to see if progress has been made. Some day...

NC in the US of America

Well thanks for taking the time to explain.

So the only solution is to change my screen resolution? I can definitely live with that.

Would it be feasible to at least make the window scale up to full size regardless of the screen resolution size? or maybe I just need to update my java... hmm...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 12, 2012 8:17 pm)

Newcastle, UK

Oh, if your system's capable of higher resolutions, great; that's the best temporary solution. Chipdisco can be run in 'presentation' mode, but there's no scaling - it's just a fullscreen black background with the app centred on the screen. Again, though, things might have changed in the world of Processing/Java... I'll look into this when I next delve into the code (soon, probably, as I need to improve some features ahead of some gigs that are coming up towards the end of the year).