Tokyo, Japan
syphus wrote:

You were also talking about instant pattern-restart - can you clarify that a bit for me please? The crude spacebar sync thing effectively does that right now, but I guess it's not doing what you need... Is it just that you want to be able to restart the pattern in Deck A without restarting the pattern in Deck B? Let me know and I'll work something out.

Oh spacebar does exactly what it needs to do, it is super handy, I think the discreet restarts would be handy too. and I did mean exactly this.

"Is it just that you want to be able to restart the pattern in Deck A without restarting the pattern in Deck B"

I think that would be another handy tool.

syphus wrote:

By the way, the bpm-match/master-slave thing is coming, don't worry smile

Awesome news, a couple of other ideas, would it be possible to have Continue/Row on keys/CC rather than dropdown? might be a little more flexible. Lastly, did I miss it somewhere or it pitch not mapped to a CC? Tempo and fine Tempo are I think.

Now I promise, I will not bug you for anything else, other than bugfixes!

Newcastle, UK

Pitch was mapped...but maybe I commented it out when I was implementing joystick control a while back. Don't get too excited though wink - it was a bit of a disaster because it requires a DLL (or similar OS-specific, non-Java wrapper library) so wouldn't work in the browser, and I didn't want to fork into two different versions. It was properly awesome though, using my USB Competition Pro with the fire buttons as modifiers! I guess anyone who cared enough could replicate the effect using a joystick-to-MIDI program. There are some awful ones for Windows that don't really work and some really good ones for Mac that cost money. Such is life.

^ Independent pattern-restarts - sure thing, I'll probably tie them to the buttons previously used for the now-deprecated 'prev/next' playlist function. That continue vs row 0 toggle, yup, very easy to give that a key and MIDI toggle.

MIDI CCs - I haven't touched those this past week, as I'm going to get everything else in place and do them at the very end. Needless to say, I'll be testing using the nanoKontrol so I'll try to figure out the most efficient mapping of the most important things...

Newcastle, UK

Right - check the same link again to get an updated version. I've mostly fixed up the GUI now (though there's a bit of free space I've yet to fill gracefully - considering a few things...) and you can try the tempo master/slave buttons, marked '!', and the 'v' and 'b' keys for independent pattern reset. See how you get on and remind me if I've forgotten anything.

When I get home tonight, possibly after a few pints, I'll try to sort out the MIDI CCs and then sign an applet version for widespread use...but I'll await your reply and input before going all-out public with it!

All the best

Tokyo, Japan

Got it, works absolutely perfectly. The only comments I would have are fairly minor layout / gui things. You could for example move the PLAY/MUTE/Q/LOOP buttons so they are vertical on either side of the playlist, then move the fader/playlist up a little, it might make things a bit neater and give users a few extra songs on the playlist without scrolling. Using a > meaning "tempo to deck on right" and < meaning "tempo to deck on left" might be a little clearer than "!" perhaps?

Oh, quick thought, did we loose the "tempo reset" or "return to original tempo" button somewhere?

But seriously this looks slick as hell, the GUI looked good anyway but it looks SO clean now. It really is an awesome job.

Newcastle, UK

Yeah, I'm having trouble making my mind up about the GUI... Really, the whole thing could do with being half the height - the infodisplay and the coloured channel bars aren't really necessary, but I like them and it gives the playlist space to strech out (I do have hacky scrollbuttons when the playlist length exceeds the height of the box, but that whole system *occasionally* flakes out...). I played with having the buttons vertically, like you said, but it didn't feel right. Having said that, nothing feels 'right' on software DJing, especially if - like me - you spent some miserable years in your youth DJing off CDs in nightclubs on Numark rackmounts with horizontal transport sections. But I guess *that* layout wasn't brill either...

Oh, and you're spot on about the tempo master/slave arrows - I simply couldn't be arsed to make the buttons and I had an exclamation mark one spare wink I've got a range of nice < and > arrow symbols I could use, but they all look too confusingly like play buttons, and since I don't have anything so luxurious as a tooltip system in this app, I can't just type the controls' explanations in there. And I want to avoid having text labels for stuff. So that's under consideration too!

Actually, I thought you might have said the crossfader was now too thin - but you didn't, so that's cool. It was unnecessarily big before; either a user is using a MIDI control for that or - if they're using a laptop touchpad - if they're drunk enough to miss the new crossfader they're probably drunk enough to have made a mess of the old one.

Tempo reset - I just had a look at v0.2 and I can't see one there, but I think I had a key/CC for it. There'll still be a key/CC for it, but it might change... Was there really a GUI button for that? Did I add it for a build I sent you and then take it out, or something? It's possible...

Playlist size - I'd quite like to shorten the height of the entire thing, to make it even more laptop friendly - perhaps even for beefy netbooks that are capable of running it, if such things exist. So do you reckon you'd quickly fill the playlist at the size it is now? I think it can take around 25 items before scrolling now... Even if the scrolling doesn't always work, you can remove old stuff from the top of the list by double right-clicking (I might have to change that for people whose Macs are still configured to Middle Ages). How many songs do you think you'll want loaded for your forthcoming set, anyway? Knowing that will help me decide whether to prioritise fixing the scrolling stuff ahead of other things.

Many thanks for the kind words, btw - yeah, I'm much happier with the general look of it now. The old buttons were a mammoth hassle to work with, even though the library I used for them is *supposed* to make things easier. Lots of unexplained null pointer exceptions which trigger epic bughunts when it could be one of thirty instances, each with about 20 lines of fiddly config calls. So I did my own button system from scratch and arsed myself to open Photoshop - took a fraction of the time and now everything's looking better smile I might eventually do something about those shabby buttons beneath the playlist, but other stuff's more important.

So is it usable for you yet? I'll still fix the keys/MIDI tonight and tomorrow, but I want to be sure you'll be able to use it for your set even if something goes wrong on my end smile

Tokyo, Japan
syphus wrote:

Tempo reset - I just had a look at v0.2 and I can't see one there, but I think I had a key/CC for it. There'll still be a key/CC for it, but it might change... Was there really a GUI button for that? Did I add it for a build I sent you and then take it out, or something? It's possible...

Sorry I think you are right, that was a Midi CC, I was waiting for you to finished tweaking everything before re mapping my controller.

syphus wrote:

How many songs do you think you'll want loaded for your forthcoming set, anyway? Knowing that will help me decide whether to prioritise fixing the scrolling stuff ahead of other things.

I was thinking around 15, 20 at the maximum.

syphus wrote:

So is it usable for you yet? I'll still fix the keys/MIDI tonight and tomorrow, but I want to be sure you'll be able to use it for your set even if something goes wrong on my end smile

Oh it is totally useable, more so than I thought. After I finish my DJ set I am going to start writing XMs specifically to be used in cddj and will show you the results. It will probably take a while but I think there is huge potential for really exiting live manipulation with content that I am really well acquainted with.

I do keep having minor thoughts, I really like the colored bars, they make beat matching a lot easier, also volume matching is easier. I was wondering if an "unmute all" might be useful?

bug no.1 - I don't think "save m3u" is working, clicking it doesn't seem to do anything. Load works just fine though.

São Paulo, Brazil
Lazerbeat wrote:

I am going to start writing XMs specifically to be used in cddj

THIS.

I swear one day I will team up with my programmer dad and make an .SPC playing version, so that mashup of Axelay and Super Aleste I have in my head can be heard throughout the internet.

Dope program man!

Newcastle, UK

Hehe, save m3u does work smile Click it...then paste into a textfile and save as *.m3u! It was the most cross-platform way of doing it that also worked in all web browsers. Processing and Java have some stupid limitations on some platforms when it comes to specifying filetypes in a save dialogue, although the load dialogues work perfectly well. I need to document it better, but then I need to document the whole thing better.

Unmute all - the code for this is half done, in a Milkytracker/Renoise style solo/unmute-all/etc thing. It's a little bit of a brainteaser, plus I have to consider single button mice/touchpads (I was going to use right-click for soloing the selected channel, then double-right-click for unmuting all, or something). I'll work on that...

Right, I'm off to run sound for a noise gig - I'll try to surreptitiously keep working on CDDJ while pretending to ride the mixing desk, otherwise expect another (near-final?) update in the early hours GMT.

Tokyo, Japan

I think we will need to make a fair bit of noise about this new update. If you want any help writing documentation or anything let me know.

I must admit, I don't feel bad missing the mu3 functionality, it was like some obscure Monkey Island puzzle!

Getting down to some serious practice now.

Looking forward to hearing / seeing it in action on Sunday!

Newcastle, UK

Awww snizzap; I got a load of work done on Chipdisco while running sound for that gig \o/ The bands were happy with a hands-off approach...

Anyway, I'm testing what I hope is a near-final list of MIDI CCs. It's almost identical to the Scene #1 factory settings on the nanoKontrol, although you need to edit the scene to make six buttons toggles instead of momentary controls. I'll probably but a scene file up for download, just in case anyone really has difficulty with that. Of course, anyone who doesn't have a nanoKontrol can just read my CC spec and configure their own hardware for ChipdiscoDJ; it just suits me (and Lazerbeat!) to base it on the nanoKontrol.

Lazerbeat - you'll have to study the CC listings carefully. There are one or two changes which I hope make some sense, and some controls that were previously commented out have been reinstated. You can glance at the Google Docs link right now to see what's what, but I'll hopefully have another build uploaded within the half-hour.

Newcastle, UK

Okay man, check http://crayolon.net/chipdisco, where you can grab a linux build and a nanoKontrol scenedata set file that should be set up properly (it's very like the factory default, but some buttons have been changed from momentary to toggle). The page also has keyboard controls listed, which are hopefully up to date. I need to tidy up that page; it's a right mess.

Anyway, I'm pretty much burned for the night but I'll be able to fix things tomorrow afternoon, so if you get a chance to try it and you find problems, just let me know. I'm sure we'll get things sorted in time for Sunday wink

São Paulo, Brazil
syphus wrote:

where you can grab a (...) nanoKontrol scenedata set file

thank you SO MUCH for that! I thought I'd have to mess all my nanoK scenes to fit chipdisco's CC's.

Tokyo, Japan

Syphus mate you are the MAN. I actually have a nanokontrol 2 which has maybe a dozen or so extra buttons, I am playing with a few different mappings. Im currently having a great deal of fun working on my set for Sunday and learning CCDJ at the same time!

Im also making mental notes of all kinds of interesting things people could do to make MODs for live use...

Newcastle, UK

Thanks dude! I noticed last night, while downloading the nanoKontrol software, that it supports the nK and the nK2, so maybe the scene sets are partly compatible? Worth a try loading it up... If not, and if you do create an nK2 scene that works for you, would you mind sending it my way so I can make it available for download? Actually, it would be cool to have a selection of templates for various controllers...maybe more people will contribute them as time goes on!

I've been doing a few tweaks today; hopefully it still works, for the most part. Honestly, much as I love the fact that it works in the browser, it's not really an ideal means of using it...slow to load, some platforms are weird about resource allocation to the JVM when it's running in-browser for some inexplicable reason. It's the same code and the same engine; I don't understand. One of the mysteries of why Java is fundamentally a little bit shit wink I don't want to abandon the browser applet, but I'll need to do some work to make sure the URL arguments work. At the moment, it won't load remote or even local files, despite being certificate-signed - NO idea why. We'll see.

Making modules for live use - great, it'd be awesome to get some tutorials on this! I'm interested to hear what you come up with, and I'll contribute anything I can think of from my own experience. I love loading up a selection of chopped breakbeats in an 8-pattern module and skipping back and forth arbitrarily on 'continue' patternskip mode...mega fun, without any instajungle-style VSTs big_smile