Tokyo, Japan

Oh so THAT is was the midi shift key was for I didn't realize, I had no idea the cross platformness would be such a pain. Lets see how Left shift works and I will be happy to try anything in Linux for testing purposes.

Brazil

It runs kinda slow here.

Tokyo, Japan

What are you running on? Also do you mean the MODs load kinda slow?

Newcastle, UK

Yes, please be as specific as you can. The browser-based version of ChipdiscoDJ should take around 20 seconds, maybe a bit longer, to load up as it's grabbing a whole load of modules from the webserver. That will dramatically reduce when I upload the new version (once it's finished). Personally, I find that it runs slowly on my 1.6Ghz Eee 901, but it runs fine on my Core2Duo VAIO (about 4 years old) and on my 18-month old white MacBook.

Is there audio breakup or stuttering where there shouldn't be? Is the GUI slow to respond to clicks/drags? Does the framerate drop and do the spectrum/volume bars move more slowly? I can tackle some of those issues, but not all of them...Java's a CPU hog in general and I've never been able to get it perfect on the Eee (Atom). I'll do my best though. Thanks in advance!

Tokyo, Japan

I found some of the larger MODs like the turrican intro took a few seconds to load which would lock up the GUI for 10 seconds but anything loading from the HD was instant. I am running on a fairly beastly modern desk top at the moment but I am going to be playing live on a core2duo Thinkpad X60.

Brazil

Sorry, I was in a hurry and threw to see if it was a common issue!
So, clicks and drops are slow, the volume bars etc, runs slow. The program itself.
But the music plays quite well, no hiccups whatsoever.

Have no idea, but my laptop is two or three years old, running winXP. Gonna test it with my shitty desktop.

São Paulo, Brazil
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Have no idea, but my laptop is two or three years old, running winXP. Gonna test it with my shitty desktop.

Are you running this on that laptop of yours that takes like 15 minutes to boot XP? tongue

Brazil

lol, that laptop i used in some gigs?
No, that laptop is kaput. Don't work anymore sad The one is my gf laptop.

Newcastle, UK

Java 1.5 or 1.6? (Also known as Java 5/Java 6) The only thing I can think of is that maybe the laptop's CPU just isn't coping...like I say, Java's a hog and always seems to use more resources than the code should require. If I knew C++, I'd have done it in C++, but I don't wink

If you are on Java 5, upgrading to a Java 6 JRE (runtime) might help. Most applets should run a bit faster in Java 6, generally speaking.

Lazerbeat - I'm working on this slice trigger thing. Running into a few maffs difficulties wink Or not - I just typed a massive explanation of how it wouldn't work, but then I remembered a really simple maths function that makes it all work perfectly. Hooray!

Unsubscribe

Oh yea, The lion upgrade uninstalls Java by default, but at least helpfully offers to reinstall. Standards!

Newcastle, UK

Haha I heard about that; thanks for pointing it out. Apparently you can reinstall it by typing any command that requires Java, like 'java -version', which suggests it was just removed out of spite rather than any real effort to deprecate it. Oh well - if I can cling on to a roomful of Amigas despite their obsolescence, I can sure as shit keep my talons dug into Java for a few more years wink

Newcastle, UK

Aight, Lazerbeat, it's done! Shift + 1-8, q-i, a-k, z-, for Deck A; Alt + the same for Deck B.

There's a new dropdown menu at the top to choose behaviour - either 'Row 0' (play the triggered pattern from the beginning instantly) or 'Continue' (jump to the next row on the new pattern).

Personally, I'd find Continue really useful with these slice triggers (as I'm calling them) - it'd be great for seamlessly chopping through patterns containing different chopped breakbeats while keeping perfect time, even better if two mods were nicely synced and the crossfader was in the middle on max pow (both decks on full volume).

Do you think it's worth my while adding another dropdown so you can choose resolution? For example, with a resolution of 4, a 32-pattern module would be mapped across keys '1, 2, 3, 4' so that each trigger had an increment of 8 patterns. Make sense? More to the point, would it be useful?

I've never signed applets on the Mac but it shouldn't be too hard...once I've figured it out I'll upload this to a private URL for you to mess about with.

Tokyo, Japan
syphus wrote:

Aight, Lazerbeat, it's done! Shift + 1-8, q-i, a-k, z-, for Deck A; Alt + the same for Deck B.

You sir are a hero! Can't wait to try it.

syphus wrote:

Do you think it's worth my while adding another dropdown so you can choose resolution? For example, with a resolution of 4, a 32-pattern module would be mapped across keys '1, 2, 3, 4' so that each trigger had an increment of 8 patterns. Make sense? More to the point, would it be useful?

Would a resolution of 4 add any functionality different to 1/q/a/z on the default setting?

Newcastle, UK

Okay, I just flung you a link on Twitter - Linux application version, should work... And as you can see, I'm in the midst of rehashing the GUI - ignore the mess for now smile

I was thinking that if there was a setting to lower the resolution, somebody could have a 64-pattern module mapped to just 4 buttons, where the increment between keys '1, 2, 3, 4' was 16. Or whatever. Make sense? I don't know how useful it'd be; maybe I should just keep things simple.

Tokyo, Japan

This is kick ASS! I have found a tiny bug which is on deck B Alt plus Q - I will also mute the channel while "slicing". Shift plus 1-8 on deck A doesn't seem to do this.

I only had a 3 or 4 minute session , just out the door to work. Will give more in depth feedback tonight!

Newcastle, UK

Cheers, fixed that. Also, while LEFT/RIGHT arrows load and autoplay, SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT now load paused. Might be handy.

The retriggering you saw in the PortaMod vid - I had to remind myself by going through the old code, but that was a test of a tracker-command 'injection' system I wrote, whereby you just hoof in the relevant hex code (E9X for retrigger) and it interprets it and factors it into the replay engine before mixing. Aaaand...it doesn't work terribly well... Definitely not well enough to be considered a global retrigger/glitch command. I know why it doesn't, but it can't easily be improved. Actually, it does work quite well with portamento commands, and I've been able to do a pretty funky (but useless) whammybar pitchbend thing - a bit like the Atari Synthcart spacebar plunge thing. But yeah, it could cause you problems when playing live if I put this frankly rather rubbish code in ChipdiscoDJ so I'm not going to until I have time to really sort it out.

You were also talking about instant pattern-restart - can you clarify that a bit for me please? The crude spacebar sync thing effectively does that right now, but I guess it's not doing what you need... Is it just that you want to be able to restart the pattern in Deck A without restarting the pattern in Deck B? Let me know and I'll work something out.

By the way, the bpm-match/master-slave thing is coming, don't worry smile