Nomad's Land

yo syphus, thanks a ton for making a linux build of this! however... the shell script won't run on ubuntu ;( also, is there a way to set latency and reduce the visual output? cause right now it's lagging like hell and i don't want to reconfigure my jre every time in run chipdisco. btw i'm using sun jre.

Newcastle, UK

No probs! Hmm, mystery about why the script won't run... I've run it on Ubuntu in the past, but I don't have Ubuntu installed on anything at the moment. Lazerbeat might be able to shed some light - maybe he did some tweaks to get it running...? Since you're a Linux user, I guess you've already thought about things like file permissions and so on. Is it throwing any kind of error? I'm using a Sun JRE on OSX; Java on my Windows 7 machine (usually my main desktop box) has decided to completely fuck itself up beyond all belief, along with a bunch of other stuff, so I'm probably going to have to reformat/reinstall one of these days (a laborious and unappealing prospect...).

I'm afraid there's no way to set the latency - the way it is now is about as good as I can get it. Javasound introduces an extra layer of software into the audio chain and - unless you run it on a beefy machine - latency is just a feature the language and the process. Personally, I get very little latency these days... Switching from Java 5 to Java 6 helped a bit, as did doing lots of tests with buffer sizes, and I'm a little surprised to hear it's a big problem for you; it makes me think that maybe there's an issue with the JRE config. You mentioned that you've had to tweak it (even though that isn't ideal) - can you let me know more about your setup, JRE version, CPU speed, etc? To what extent does reconfiguring improve things? And it is only Linux you've tried it on, or do you have dual/triple boot with other operating systems on the same machine? I'm no Java expert but it's worth a try smile

Reduce visual output - I guess you mean stuff like lower the framerate, disable some of the volume bars, etc. It's already down to 24fps (as far as I can remember), which I did back when I was running this on an old Eee 1.6Ghz Atom - a little bit of a struggle, but it mostly worked. When I get time, I might test some builds with some graphics disabled and see if the Eee handles that any better.

Newcastle, UK

By the way, I hate Java but it's the only compiled language I'm capable of doing anything in - if I knew C++, this would be some slick-motherfucker native ASIO/CoreAudio beast of a program big_smile

Nomad's Land

ok, don't worry too much about the lagging. i think it's lagging because of my crappy graphics card. next week i'll try to install another one. i'll let you know about the results...

as to why the script won't run, i don't have a clue. seems it already fails at the APPDIR=$(dirname "$0") statement. i don't get any errors or anything, instead the java man page will be printed. if i simply do java -jar everything works fine though except for some minor error messages. jre6 here btw. i tried it with openjdk as well, same problem.

anyway, thanks again for this wonderful software! and yes, it would be awesome to have it as a native tool. should be console-only wink

Tokyo, Japan

I just installed on my core2duo with 4gb of ram and the software seems a liiiiittle sluggish. I am  going to install a fairly minimal distro and see if that helps things. Not unusable by any means, just not quite as snappy as on my desk top.

Newcastle, UK

Goddamn Java.

If I do invest the time in getting competent at a C-like language (which I can't really afford these days, but might do anyway), I reckon it'll probably be Objective C for iOS sad iOS and Apple in general make me extremely angry, but I'd love to have ChipdiscoDJ on a mobile platform and Android STILL isn't up to the task of lag-free, stutter-free complex audio mixing without arcane native code that needs to be painstakingly tested on a massively fragmented hardware base. That makes me angry too. My Samsung Galaxy S is great at being a phone but shit at being a mobile app platform; iPhones are shit at being phones, but great at being mobile app platforms. Such is life.

Tokyo, Japan

On the upside though, just plugged in my external soundcard, monitoring headphones, Nanokontrol2 and ran the software with my laptop for the first time, everything configured and working in about 2 minutes!

Newcastle, UK

Wehey! Well it's 6:20GMT, I'm about to go to bed for about 7 hours. If you need any last-minute fixes done before you perform, be sure to let me know before midnightGMT/Saturday night. Otherwise...best of luck for Sunday!

Tokyo, Japan

It not problem, everything looks to be running fine. I might experiment a bit with installing 64bit linux at some point but for now everything is groovy!

Nomad's Land

finally got around to testing this with my new graphics card - still a bit rough, but no skippy audio anymore. yay!

Joliette, QC, Canada

I'm totally surprised that I didn't saw this update in this forum...so yeah...
SYPHUS UPDATED CHIPDISCO !!! big_smile
get it here :
http://echolevel.co.uk/chipdisco/

Joliette, QC, Canada

BUUUUUMP

Dissapointed that there is nearly no .MOD DJs in here !!! wink

California

I'm trying to try it out, but it's not letting me add any .mods to the playlist for some reason.

Savannah, Georgia

yeah, same problem here.

Newcastle, UK

Hi guys. Thanks, XyNo!

VCMG, Aeros - can you tell me a bit more, please, and I'll see if I can figure out why it's not working? Which OSs, first of all? It could be a really simple thing like the backwards (compared to Linux and OS X) directory slashes aren't being interpreted properly, thus breaking the paths. Or it could be something more sinister smile So the various methods of adding modules are as follows: Add button, which can add single MOD files (or XM or S3M). Dragging/dropping from an OS folder onto either playlist - this can take multiple files if you select a load before dragging. This method's not advisable during playback as it can cause a slight gap in the audio; the Add button shouldn't, though. Adding M3U playlist, which is just a list of fully-qualified file paths, one per line, saved as something.m3u. Remove any commented-out metadata lines (beginning '#'), as they can sometimes cause problems. Editing chipdisco_config.txt to autoload either a directory or an M3U playlist on startup.

I'm sure you've tried all of these, and though I've tested them extensively on OS X, I haven't had a chance to test on Windows - main reason I didn't bother, though, is that I didn't change any of the relevant code since the last version, which I wrote and tested on Windows XP... So yeah, the more you can tell me about the fault, the better - I'll try to fix it as quickly as possible!

Finally, the Java console will display a lot of feedback while Chipdisco is running: do a google search to find instructions for enabling the Java console in your OS, and it'll clearly state if it's had a problem finding, reading or drag-dropping the files (corrupted headers, incompatible formats, etc.), parsing M3U files, or reading the preset directory.

Cheers!

Savannah, Georgia

using win7, 64-bit. tried all of what you said; none of it worked. and java isn't even letting me access the console for the application - is there a parameter i can use to force it, perhaps?

Last edited by Aeros (Aug 11, 2012 4:01 am)