Hoxton, London UK

I don't really use myspace much, but i was wondering how traffic is for people that actually have lots of fans or friends? I mean, it's ugly as hell now (more than ever); even with adblock plus turned on it feels like times square. I've noticed a few people have shut down their myspaces now in favour of custom websites.

With this in mind I made up one for myself

www.shriker.co.uk

East Kilbride, Scotland

I think there is nothing to lose in keeping a myspace page with a player because lots of people still do search google for "bandname" "myspace" in order to hear a few tracks by someone, but for communication with fans, it's been dead for at very least a year.

I'd say, keep the myspace, but you really are better off with a proper website like the one you've got there. smile

astral cat

Hoxton, London UK
Sycamore Drive wrote:

I think there is nothing to lose in keeping a myspace page with a player because lots of people still do search google for "bandname" "myspace" in order to hear a few tracks by someone, but for communication with fans, it's been dead for at very least a year.

I'd say, keep the myspace, but you really are better off with a proper website like the one you've got there. smile

True, I guess it doesn't hurt to keep a page and a player open on myspace.... just plaster links to the real site all over the place or sync it with twitter etc to limit the amount of time updating the myspace.

anyway, talking of websites.... chip coalition just sent me a absence email again... better head back over big_smile

The Bronx
Shriker wrote:

I've noticed a few people have shut down their myspaces now in favour of custom websites.

This is the most destructive affect and subterfuge of Myspace - convincing musicians and their friends into ditching the integrity of and commitment to having a website in exchange for an irrational pipe dream of industry connectivity and pending wealth.

Make and break art. Fuck a Myspace.

Vienna

after the horrible new layout was done and the goddamn black eyed peas invaded the site with their new rad "8-bit" personas i knew i had to leave.

Last edited by Rico Z (Dec 26, 2010 9:20 pm)

Los Angeles
Rico Z wrote:

after the horrible new layout was done and the goddamn black eyed peas invaded the site with their new rad "8-bit" personas i knew i had to leave.

Just a fyi the "8bit" black eyed peas look is actually not trying to be pixel art, its *suppose* to be a lego mosaic. Not that I'm a fan or anything.

rochester, ny

yeah, myspace is awful and anytime i've ever had to go there has been awful.

that said, i agree with sycamore drive. update the player and keep a link there to whatever your real page is.

california
minusbaby wrote:
Shriker wrote:

I've noticed a few people have shut down their myspaces now in favour of custom websites.

This is the most destructive affect and subterfuge of Myspace - convincing musicians and their friends into ditching the integrity of and commitment to having a website in exchange for an irrational pipe dream of industry connectivity and pending wealth.

Make and break art. Fuck a Myspace.

I don't think the idea of it was so bad, for musicians. Having a lot of uniform band profiles, and ways of networking is pretty handy. The site was just badly mismanaged imo.

But yeah, it was always ugly as sin. And badly designed.

Hoxton, London UK

Oh and lastly, now myspace make you "collect badges" ha WTF? is this scouts?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
trash80 wrote:
Rico Z wrote:

Just a fyi the "8bit" black eyed peas look is actually not trying to be pixel art, its *suppose* to be a lego mosaic. Not that I'm a fan or anything.

[off topic]Yeah, if you find a large version of the art and see it at full size you can see there's a little depth to it.[/off topic]

I usually see nothing wrong with having your name all over every music website there is, but I don't exactly waste any effect on a myspace page.

I'm somewhat tempted to make a myspace page but label it as an unofficial fan page.  As lame as that is.  That way I can still serve the few people coming to it without it harming my image.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Dec 26, 2010 11:26 pm)

Chicago IL

the only reason there's any activity to my myspace page is because i linked the status to my twitter feed

Vienna
jefftheworld wrote:
trash80 wrote:

[off topic]Yeah, if you find a large version of the art and see it at full size you can see there's a little depth to it.[/off topic]

hahah...love it!

Brisbane, Australia

Once upon a time it was pretty much essential to have one but everyone with half a brain has migrated to Facebook, almost everybody uses Facebook these days so it makes more sense to set up a base of operations there imo. There aren't as many options for interactivity but at least it means random hard dance djs can't spam everyone's wall and inbox with adverts for their new merch and music etc, just everybody's news feed smile

The Hollow Earth

Myspace isn't perfect, but it's free and it's been better to me than Facebook. I know there is much outcry and call for boycotting, but I currently have no plans for deleting my Myspace page.

France

You can still make good myspaces you know...

http://www.myspace.com/bleepshit