Chicago IL

I wanted to post this, cause i haven't seen a much talk about it at all (other than bucky, god bless his heart).

Okay, so basically GBS2GB does exactly what the name says. Give it a .gbs file and it gives you a .gb file.

reasons why this is awesome:

MML/XPMCK users can easily play their GB tunes on actual hardware now.

Games made specifically for GBC can finally have their soundtracks played on the DMG's sound chip (Mega Man Xtreme, Worms Armageddon, Shantae, etc)

If you have an EMS 64mb Smart cart, you can fill up the second page with tons of soundtracks

author's webpage with a ton of other utilities
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/

(you'll have to go to his page and do a Find for GBS2GB, i dont think angelfire lets you link directly to things)

Last edited by Saskrotch (Jan 13, 2011 11:47 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

cool stuff! but uh, download link gives a 404

Chicago IL

oh dang youre right.

This is also useful for ripping data from GBS files. GB sound on NSFs by means of FDS/N106 = yesssssss.

EDIT: I get the download perfectly... There's something wrong on your side, or something right on mine.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Dec 27, 2010 3:23 am)

yeah i can confirm that the page loads (no 404)

XPMCK can already compile as .gb.  You simply type "mkgb song.mml" instead of "mkgbs song.mml."  Still an excellent find. Downloading.

Whitley Bay, England

Having loads of soundtracks on my cart and being able to use a freakin gameboy like an iPod would be like a dream come true.

EDIT: Ok, so I went on Zophar's Domain, got some gbs files, and decided to try this out.
Worked like a bloody dream.
Literally instantly converts the file, and goes onto my cart fine. Small files, so I have like 8 roms and about 10 soundtracks too!
Playback is great, of course. I sort of wish the files would be named after the game, rather than "GBS PLAY 1.04U" and then go off the screen. The files themselves are named differently, but on the gameboy they show as that.

But yeah, I can now listen to some great soundtracks on my gameboy big_smile
Now someone release an album? haha

Last edited by TraceKaiser (Dec 28, 2010 9:52 pm)

New York, New York

If there was a simpler way than MML/XPMCK for GBS2GB then I would make an album.

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Jan 14, 2011 12:08 am)

killadelphia
Saskrotch wrote:

If you have an EMS 64mb Smart cart, you can fill up the second page with tons of soundtracks

i do this lots. it really is the best. for true.

download some alberto gonzalez stuff or like some stello doussis - shit sounds amazing through hardware.

Chicago IL
animalstyle wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

download some alberto gonzalez stuff or like some stello doussis - shit sounds amazing through hardware.

i haven't done a ton with the program yet, but have you figured out how to rename files? they all come up as GBSPLAY or whatever, and i have to restart if i dont open the right one

New York, New York
Saskrotch wrote:
animalstyle wrote:

i haven't done a ton with the program yet, but have you figured out how to rename files? they all come up as GBSPLAY or whatever, and i have to restart if i dont open the right one

If GBSPLAY was rewritten to customize names, that would work?

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm)

killadelphia
Saskrotch wrote:

i renamed the files with a hex editor but um yeah - thats hella annoying.

Los Angeles, CA

Kind of a sad note, but the dude that did this stuff (ugetab) died recently.

Whoa, really? Ouch...

It's always awkward to find out about the death of someone on the Internet.

Slovakia / European Union

Can someone tell me how can I replay MGB from PARAGON 5 TRACKER with this tool???
Please I need step by step tutorial. I think it will be very useful for lot of people not only for me.
Remember I am musician not coder...

Last edited by Tinctu (Jan 13, 2011 1:18 pm)

Chicago IL

sorry, i never used paragon5 so i thought it exported as .gbs files. unfortunately mgb to gbs searches mostly bring back results on how many mb are in a gb