My cart flashing/backup setup is still a Bung Xchanger plugged into the parallel port of an ancient laptop booting DOS from a floppy. I was holding out for an SD cart that never appeared. So what are the current options for the Game Boy in terms of USB carts? And are there any that aren't running on stolen code?

Brazil

I dunno about stolen code, but kitsch-bent sells the 64mb usb carts from that chinese factory I forgot the name.

California

the EMS cart? not sure but I feel your pain.

Actually, a 64mb Bung cart! Still a pain though.

Brazil

Yes, the EMS usb cart. It works well, pulselooper uses it, so does Droid-on here in Brazil and it works real well.

Oh I thought he was asking me if I was using the EMS parallel cart.

Sweeeeeeden

Josecart are still being produced in some quanttities. A bit overpriced for what it is.
http://www.nonelectronics.com/catalog/i … mp;cPath=2

EMS 64M.
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

Then there's this new kid n the block. Not done yet, but promises real drag'n'drop support.
http://mafipulation.org/cart/

California
nitro2k01 wrote:

Then there's this new kid n the block. Not done yet, but promises real drag'n'drop support.
http://mafipulation.org/cart/

AW SHIT. see this is what we need. progress. why hasn't this had more attention?

btw any info on ETA? I want one of these puppies.

Last edited by Rei Yano (Feb 7, 2011 11:49 am)

Nonfinite's site says the EMS cart won't work with a 64bit OS, but Kitsch's says it will with special drivers. Who is right? (I'm using 64bit Windows 7.)

And who's making that new cart? Is he Australian? I noticed that the motherboard says "DO A HEAPS CART"! tongue

Last edited by Awol (Feb 7, 2011 11:59 am)

Sweeeeeeden
Rei Yano wrote:

AW SHIT. see this is what we need. progress. why hasn't this had more attention?

btw any info on ETA? I want one of these puppies.

Probably because he knows his stuff is real and will sell once it hits the market, so he doesn't need to be a complete attention whore about it, until then at least.

No ETA available. It'll be done when it's done. Mafipulation is a delicate process.

Awol wrote:

Nonfinite's site says the EMS cart won't work with a 64bit OS, but Kitsch's says it will with special drivers. Who is right? (I'm using 64bit Windows 7.)

And who's making that new cart? Is he Australian? I noticed that the motherboard says "DO A HEAPS CART"! tongue

You have to do some semi-annoying workarounds to install the drivers and get it to recognize the cart (there should be a link to directions on the kitsch-bent site), but it definitely works on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine

Milwaukee, WI

Building your own is always a possibility.  I'm still debating getting some PCB's made up for personal use.  Everdrive for the GB is on the horizon as well!

New York City

The EMS USB is fine, you should get that. I just got one.

matt's mind

works fine on 64bit Win7, and is even officially supported to do so...  not sure why it would be said its not compatible.  its just a workaround to do this...

Brooklyn NY US

Speaking from experience — major "caveat emptor" with the EMS USB cartridges. Ordered some from EMS and defects in their bank toggling feature made them practically useless. There are workarounds (putting a copy of LSDJ in both banks, physically removing a capacitor from the cartridge board) but overall I was pretty non-plussed.

There are also the Smartboy cartridges. I have one of these (thanks kitsch!) and it's been fantastic.

Canada

I use the EMS 64mb carts; I have about three and they all work fine (two for lsdj, one for gaming), plus it's not a slow process at all to read and write both ROM's and .sav's onto the carts. I've even switched .sav's in between songs during some live shows.

Only downside is the backup software doesn't run natively on a mac, so you have to use PC emulation (Crossover, Parallels or, which I personally find the best, VMWare).