▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

i have 2 EMS 64 carts.
i heart em!

both have LSDj on the one bank, and various roms on the others.
i have used them w/ winXP 32bit and win7 32bit with no issues...

they also work great with the mega memory carts

another note, i have an old non-usb EMS 32 cart, and swapping
saves (with different versions of LSDj) with the mega memory carts
has worked flawlessly with both types of EMS carts.

i highly recommend them.

Last edited by xero (Feb 7, 2011 6:59 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

I have a Bleep Bloop USB cart and a EMS USB cart.

Bleep Bloop Pros:
* As solid of a build as a normal Game Boy cart, meaning I'm not afraid if I accidentally drop it
* Other than Nonfinite sending me a cart that had no drivers installed onto it (& also a blank CD-R that was supposed to have software) and having to have someone manually walk me through that process, it's always been stable. Never had problems with the software or hardware fucking up.
* I've had my cart since September '09 and every time I've used it, it's booted up on the first try.

Bleep Bloop Cons:
* Fucking expensive.
* Omg stolen code ur supporting communist Russia!!1!

EMS USB Pros:
*It's cheap. You can almost buy two carts for the price of one Bleep Bloop cart.
*In theory, having two banks of roms could be useful

EMS USB Cons:
*It's cheap for a reason. The cart feels like a fragile hollow plastic piece of shit that would shatter into a million pieces if you accidentally dropped it. The cart is also too big to fit in any Game Boy cases like the ones you can get on Kitsch Bent.
*The two banks of roms is total bullshit. Only one SRAM file, and my cart started freaking out when I tried adding other roms, basically had to add LSDJ to both banks for it to even work again. And this happened two hours before a show I was doing.
*It can be a pain in the ass to get the cart to boot up. Lots of typical Nintendo game shaking & blowing in the cart usually required.
*Does not work in my GBA SP. Ever. At all. No amount of cart blowing fixes this problem. And it's not the SP, because the Bleep Bloop cart works fine.
*This one is a personal preference, but I don't care for the software.

These are just my experiences. I wouldn't be surprised if my EMS cart was fucked up in some way. But my thought is this, you get what you pay for. The EMS cart is cheap. For the most part it does what it's supposed to, but I'm always afraid trusting my songs on it. I tend to back up my stuff religiously though so it's not a huge issue. If money wasn't an issue I'd go with the Bleep Bloop carts any day. But in reality I'll probably be getting a new EMS cart soon.

SLC, UT
Rei Yano wrote:

Waiting for some news on those carts (remember infinity cart? don't know if that is still the name)....

I believe the infinity cart became the bleepbloop v2 USB. I could be wrong.

As for waiting for the new cart, I wouldn't count on it.

I have had no problems with getting the roms in bank two on my EMS to work properly. It's great, I just have tetris in there so I can play it when I get bored. There was a list of games that didn't store sram on here a while back, I'd dig it up if I were you. One thing to note though - I could not get LSDJ and other roms to live harmoniously in bank 1. If I tried to flash other roms with it, it just wouldn't show up. Also, Super Mario Land 2 and Gargoyle's Quest will not work in the EMS. I do not know why. They just don't. I think there is one other game that doesn't work either, but I don't remember what it was called.

If you get one, have Nonfinite or Kitsch burn LSDJ onto it for you. You may be able to coax them into burning non sram games as well, but don't count on it.

The smartboy is my personal favorite, although I have never used it. The transferrer alone is worth the money, but as has been said getting them to actually ship you one is tough. I don't think they're as bad as wayfar.net and the midines, but the distance and language barrier could be hard. I think the last batch got caught up in customs too, so consider that. I'd look to see if anyone who already has one is willing to sell it.

What would be super extreme would be to get one of those Japanese Nintendo power flash carts and a transferrer. You would be the hardest of the cores.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you can use a transferrer to burn games onto an EMS 64. So paying the premium for the smartboy and then having the transferrer opens you up to being able to easily burn games onto an EMS. That's the route I would take.

Bleepbloop is right out. Not only is it stolen, you can't really even buy them and they're overpriced.

New York City

CAn anybody link/explain about this Smart USB capacitor problem? I want to know a fix in case I need it.

SLC, UT

I don't think the smartboy is the one with the cap problem. Did you mean EMS?

Brooklon

I've got two 32M EMS carts, one bleepbloop USB and one 64M EMS USB. The blue 32M EMS carts are a pain in the ass to back up but they are solid as rocks imo. I've been running those two for around 4 years and have never (knock on wood) had data loss or a battery death. (Just don't treat them like shit and you'll be fine). The bleepbloop USB is a solid cart. It's fully compatible with OS X through GBCFLSH and has been really stable in my experience but yeah, it's expensive and the code is stolen. But seriously, it's a great cart.

I have to say that of all of those, the 64M EMS is by FAR the largest piece of shit. I will never again trust it to hold a save because I've lost way too much data because of it. Not to mention it doesn't play nice with OS X. The two banks are just stupid and, most importantly, you never know when it'll just, no explanation, erases all of your data. FUN!

If you can get a hold of a smartboy - go for it - otherwise I would say be prepared to pay a good bit for a reliable cart or potentially lose your saves with a piece of shit.

SLC, UT
Note! wrote:

I have to say that of all of those, the 64M EMS is by FAR the largest piece of shit. I will never again trust it to hold a save because I've lost way too much data because of it. Not to mention it doesn't play nice with OS X. The two banks are just stupid and, most importantly, you never know when it'll just, no explanation, erases all of your data. FUN!

If you can get a hold of a smartboy - go for it - otherwise I would say be prepared to pay a good bit for a reliable cart or potentially lose your saves with a piece of shit.

I've never had any data loss with mine, though I've only had it for about 6 months. What I did though is I bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Gameboy-Or … /ref=pd_12

They're cheap, and brand new, and you can use them for all your games. With one of these and an EMS 64, you're still under the cost of a bleepbloop. One thing to mention is that there is no tab for the power switch in it, so you have to cut the tab off your gameboy or use a color/advance. NBD to me as I have a color. Also, with Kitsch offering the clear power switches in his kit and with the possibility of him offering other colors, I wouldn't worry so much about cutting the tab off.

Milwaukee, WI
Awol wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

Everdrive for the GB is on the horizon as well!

Tell me more.

On the Everdrive support forums Krikzz said he was going to do a GB Everdrive.  After the Game Gear and Master System ones are finished, I think we can expect one.  He sounded really excited about it!

AFAIK aren't Smartboy Carts the same design by the Polish IT students?  Doesn't that make them just a morally unacceptable?  That is if you prefer them over bleep bloop just because smart boy has no Jose.  Just saying you can't hate on bleep bloop and not hate on smart boy.

Unsubscribe

Do you a have a link to krikzz saying this? That would be rad to have microsd support or something.

SLC, UT
Theta_Frost wrote:

AFAIK aren't Smartboy Carts the same design by the Polish IT students?  Doesn't that make them just a morally unacceptable?  That is if you prefer them over bleep bloop just because smart boy has no Jose.  Just saying you can't hate on bleep bloop and not hate on smart boy.

...are they? How could they be, bleepbloop is usb, smartboys are not. Though I think you may be right. Jose nuked everything regarding smartboy carts on 8bc.......so who knows. Stolen design or not, the smartboy is cheaper and comes with a transferrer which is what really makes them stand out.

Last edited by stargazer (Feb 7, 2011 9:57 pm)

Canada
Wizwars wrote:

The cart is also too big to fit in any Game Boy cases like the ones you can get on Kitsch Bent.

I bought a clear one from Kitsch, and it fits fine. You just have to make sure the thicker part of the cart isn't at the top where the Gameboy divit is.

Wizwars wrote:

*Does not work in my GBA SP. Ever. At all. No amount of cart blowing fixes this problem. And it's not the SP, because the Bleep Bloop cart works fine.

I've used all three of mine in the SP, and they worked in full colour. Sometimes you have to reformat the cart and check off the 'Colour' option when you're burning the ROM to either bank if you want to use it on a gbc or any advance.
As you said, everyone has different experiences with them. Mine have just ended up being fortuitous.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
Rei Yano wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Then there's this new kid n the block. Not done yet, but promises real drag'n'drop support.
http://mafipulation.org/cart/

AW SHIT. see this is what we need. progress. why hasn't this had more attention?

btw any info on ETA? I want one of these puppies.

Have a look at that board as well... not spot for a battery. Does anyone get what this means?

BOSTON
10k wrote:

Have a look at that board as well... not spot for a battery. Does anyone get what this means?

yes: MAGIC. a magic usb cart.

AND ABOUT DAMN TIME IF YOU ASK ME.

California
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:
10k wrote:

yes: MAGIC. a magic usb cart.

AND ABOUT DAMN TIME IF YOU ASK ME.

Batteries are for dorks.

I love my EMS 64M cart so far, there was a bit of sav corruption once, but I had everything backed up so it was a non issue. The only problem I've had it getting the drivers to work on my Win7 64, the last time I tried putting it into test-mode like they tell you to my system screwed up and had to system restore. A little discouraging, I wish the licensed drivers would come out soon, I haven't tried again since, so  I haven't been able to connect it to my PC lately.

matt's mind

yes, we *used* to carry smartboy carts, but due to the aforementioned supply issues they have, we stopped bothering.  it was a headache...

the GB everdrive carts are indeed happening (as mentioned on the krikzz forums), but look towards next month wink wink

it IS about time for a magic cart.  totally agreed.