my 64MB EMS has been fine... have had it for less than a year, not using it too much but its fine. although sometimes i get this LSDJ crash that i dont understand that says dont panic. (hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy) and ive given up on having 2 diff banks with that really really really stupid bank switching system... i just have lsdj on both banks and forget there even is such a thing as bank switching. thank god the SRAM is common (unless the switching was fine then that would be a con.)
everdrive for the GB sounds like a great thing. will be following that.

california
10k wrote:
Rei Yano wrote:

AW SHIT. see this is what we need. progress. why hasn't this had more attention?

btw any info on ETA? I want one of these puppies.

Have a look at that board as well... not spot for a battery. Does anyone get what this means?

High quality flash memory maybe? Or wizardry.

Sweeeeeeden

Yes, it is based on battery-less RAM. smile

And to those who might be wondering, the person who'll be making these is Abrasive.

SLC, UT

This is what we need. I'm glad someone is stepping things up like the guys with the bootstrap nes cart are doing.

california

Awesome! Hope they're not too expensive.

_

Last edited by gizmo (Feb 8, 2011 3:40 am)

Philly, PA, USA

A NONVOLATILE RAM USB FLASHCART!? FOR REAL!? AMAZE

california

Yeah who am I kidding, they could cost 100$ and I'd pay.

Canada

Wow. That will be somethingELSE.

Sweeeeeeden
Theta_Frost wrote:
Awol wrote:

Tell me more.

On the Everdrive support forums Krikzz said he was going to do a GB Everdrive.  After the Game Gear and Master System ones are finished, I think we can expect one.  He sounded really excited about it!

Don't forget this! smile
I talked directly to him, and this indeed seems to be true. There are some joyous times ahead!

Theta_Frost wrote:

AFAIK aren't Smartboy Carts the same design by the Polish IT students?  Doesn't that make them just a morally unacceptable?  That is if you prefer them over bleep bloop just because smart boy has no Jose.  Just saying you can't hate on bleep bloop and not hate on smart boy.

If you just look at the carts, you're absolutely right. But there's a bunch of other circumstances speaking for Jose's disadvantage. And you could argue that you should have higher expectations of the owner of 8bc than on some guy in the middle of nowhere in China. And also, Smartboy only ever produced small quantities of cartridges and they fucked up their distribution, so that problem sort of solved itself.

SLC, UT
nitro2k01 wrote:

If you just look at the carts, you're absolutely right. But there's a bunch of other circumstances speaking for Jose's disadvantage. And you could argue that you should have higher expectations of the owner of 8bc than on some guy in the middle of nowhere in China. And also, Smartboy only ever produced small quantities of cartridges and they fucked up their distribution, so that problem sort of solved itself.

Thanks for that Nitro I was hoping you'd chime in. Also, it seems like Jose took credit for creating the bleepbloop carts completely. The smartboy guys just don't give proper credit. But maybe that's just my impression.

Do you know what the deal with Jose nuking everything about the smartboy carts is all about? Is it just because he didn't want anyone to find out he stole the design?

New York City
kitsch wrote:

yes, we *used* to carry smartboy carts, but due to the aforementioned supply issues they have, we stopped bothering.  it was a headache...

the GB everdrive carts are indeed happening (as mentioned on the krikzz forums), but look towards next month wink wink

it IS about time for a magic cart.  totally agreed.

Oh man and I just bought you a 64 USB that everyone says is a piece o shite xD
I want an EverGB!! I want an EverEVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeeeeeden
stargazer wrote:

Thanks for that Nitro I was hoping you'd chime in. Also, it seems like Jose took credit for creating the bleepbloop carts completely. The smartboy guys just don't give proper credit. But maybe that's just my impression.

They actually never claimed anything in any direction, at all. However, as most people probably don't know, they came to 8bc long ago (2007-ish?) and asked for cartridge schematics. At the time they were not well received, IIRC.

stargazer wrote:

Do you know what the deal with Jose nuking everything about the smartboy carts is all about? Is it just because he didn't want anyone to find out he stole the design?

Either that, or he didn't want competition. Jose did say at the time that SB stole his design, and that he didn't want them to get ahold of the USB cart design, which in retrospect gives a bad taste in the mouth.

However, to be fair, leaving that whole conflict aside, from the perspective of 8bc moderation at the time, SB were spamming pretty obnoxiously, so in some way it made sense to nuke them. Even though that's no excuse for Jose's motives.

SLC, UT

Thanks for that Nitro, I always wondered what the deal with that was. I can see banning the spammers, but removing the topic completely seems like censoring out information that they want hidden.

Anyways, I'm out of here for about two years so hopefully when I get back we'll have an EverGB!

The P-N-Dubz

Is this coming soon enough that it's a bad plan to get a bleepbloop/EMS? It'll be my first cartridge after being on just emus so maybe it's not that big of a deal?

akira^8GB wrote:
kitsch wrote:

yes, we *used* to carry smartboy carts, but due to the aforementioned supply issues they have, we stopped bothering.  it was a headache...

the GB everdrive carts are indeed happening (as mentioned on the krikzz forums), but look towards next month wink wink

it IS about time for a magic cart.  totally agreed.

Oh man and I just bought you a 64 USB that everyone says is a piece o shite xD
I want an EverGB!! I want an EverEVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

New York, New York

Thanks Krikzz and Abrasive. Now I need to change my pants.

Los Angeles, CA

I like how I complained about never getting my EMS cart to work with my GBA SP and then last night I decided to try again, and it worked the first time.

Based on that, I'll totally be getting another EMS cart soon.