Brunswick, GA USA

Don't overthink it, this is easy.

Host opens a thread with the theme. Competitors PM link to tunes before deadline. Host packs tunes with tags stripped and puts link to pack (any upload site will do) in thread. Voters PM votes to host. Host compiles results after voting deadline.

What else is there to consider?

Chepachet, Rhode Island
chunter wrote:

Host opens a thread with the theme. Competitors PM link to tunes before deadline. Host packs tunes with tags stripped and puts link to pack (any upload site will do) in thread. Voters PM votes to host. Host compiles results after voting deadline.

^ That ^

uhajdafdfdfa
Cartoon Bomb wrote:

What if voting was only open to participants, then you would have time, and you wouldn't have to worry about vote begging .  That would make it even more like botb though hahah.

non-participants can vote at botb!

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I've just now navigated around Botb and once I get over how much of a clusterfuck it looks like to me I'm sure it's really rad.  I like the idea that if something like that was done on this site it'd be a bit closer knit.

chunter wrote:

Some people probably don't want to download a pack full of mp3s (I know I don't, that shit would take way too much time for me and my shitty internet) How could we stream them?

If I could just stream the mp3s in the thread or something that'd be a hell of a lot easier.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I'd say the only thing about streaming them in a thread is everyone would know who's song is who's...and if we want to keep the whole anonymous thing I don't think it'd work since making a new profile or whatever to post them would be even more of a hassle and there'd be no concrete evidence of who submitted what.  Possibly PM's with the songs and a thread for the votes.  Would be a bit easier on someone's inbox.

Brunswick, GA USA

The host could stream them by saying a number or title before each song and posting it on Soundcloud or the likes. Also, a theme could be the use of a particular software or format. Yes, sometimes people aren't going to want to do a certain theme or format, so keep changing them enough and people will have more tendency to participate. For reference, my favorite compo is http://sdcompo.com, which is monthly.

Philly, PA, USA

google spreadsheets have numbered rows, and you can do sort by etc, so then when it's all done, just do sort by and figure out the tally with subtraction etc

Bronx, NY

I really like your idea, arlen...and I think it's cool especially if Cartoon Bomb's blind-voting idea is taken into account because, I hate to say it, but the "I LIKE THIS BECAUSE YOU MADE IT" mindset is a problem across chip music everywhere, not just 8bc...it's just the truth. Musical reputations are *really* difficult to shake in chip music.

pixls has the right idea with the Google spreadsheet, super fuckin easy to create and maintain and track votes with that thing. If there's any way I can help with this thing, please let me know.

I don't have much to say about the compos themselves, other than that if you want to do one I highly recommend using http://compo.thasauce.net/
I've entered compos using that site before and it's usually been quite smooth. The deadlines, uploads, cutoffs and voting are all handled on the server, so it's a lot les organizational work. You can easily see all the songs in the competition and vote and comment on them. Here's an example of a what a competition page looks like (this one is finished): http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/OHC100

Last edited by Zef (Feb 7, 2011 11:48 pm)

Zef wrote:

I don't have much to say about the compos themselves, other than that if you want to do one I highly recommend using http://compo.thasauce.net/
I've entered compos using that site before and it's usually been quite smooth. The deadlines, uploads, cutoffs and voting are all handled on the server, so it's a lot les organizational work. You can easily see all the songs in the competition and vote and comment on them. Here's an example of a what a competition page looks like (this one is finished): http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/OHC100

I'll definitely look into it and see if I could use it for a competition here. This seems like a great idea!

VA
ant1 wrote:
Cartoon Bomb wrote:

What if voting was only open to participants, then you would have time, and you wouldn't have to worry about vote begging .  That would make it even more like botb though hahah.

non-participants can vote at botb!

!?!?!? wow I had no idea.  I only participated in Winter Chip V, and for some reason I thought only participants voted.  I miss things like that I guess.

uhajdafdfdfa

you can stream mp3s with some tag built into chipmusic forums, no need to soundcloud
so it would be easy for you to upload them all to some ftp or hosting space (untitled and untagged), and then put them in here

i think it's the [ mp3 ] or  [ audio ] tag?

california

So, are we doing the blind voting thing? That seems like a goode way to do it.

All we need now is some directly accessible space.

Blind voting it is! At least, I think that'd be best to keep things fair.

Brunswick, GA USA

For those wondering, curious, or that never knew, BOTB voting is weighted based on your member experience level, so if you have a new account your votes carry little weight, but if you're the only experienced player in the compo you can decide the results singlehandedly (unlikely in anything more important than OHC.) I don't recommend copying this though it has clear advantages.