Since the 48h thread is basically dead, and it seems like it's hard to maintain, I was thinking we could hold a bi-weekly competition.

Why bi-weekly? Well, one week would be for people to write their songs and submit, the next week would be for people to vote which song they felt was best. One week is plenty for a person to write a song, and one week is plenty to get enough votes.

I was thinking to make things more interesting, each competition would have a different theme, people could throw out some suggestions, too.

The only problem i've ran into while thinking this out is keeping track of votes. If the forum had a polling system, that'd be great. Other than that problem, I think this would be a great idea for the site. It'd give people something to come back to and it'd be pretty fun.

Discuss.

California

I could be totally wrong about this but I think the general mood here is that any sort of competition based system is generally not considered here. Maybe it is due to the popularity contest that 8bc creates with its voting system?

but like I said if the mods here are cool with it then great. it could actually be fun I think.

Last edited by Rei Yano (Feb 7, 2011 5:41 pm)

VA

Well it could be more like a compo or whatever.  A sample pack is released and we all make songs with it.  Stipulations, genre limitations, hardware specifications, etc.  I wouldn't want it to turn into 8bc compilations though...more like botb or a hexawe compo, only you have a week instead of one hour.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I think that sounds pretty rad.  It's especially good for those like me that are trying to broaden their skills.  I think the compilation idea is definitely cool and a better idea even though I wouldn't really mind a voting system since there seems to be less "I LIKE THIS BECAUSE YOU MADE IT" mindset on this website.

VA

hehehe voting could be blind though...songs are uploaded to another website with no indication of the artist, or a special account here could be made for these anonymous submissions.  Personally, I don't think it's necessary, but it could add to the fun.

Cartoon Bomb wrote:

Well it could be more like a compo or whatever.  A sample pack is released and we all make songs with it.

The problem with a samplepack is that not everyone uses sampletrackers, or even uses consoles that can play back samples.

And I really don't want this to become some compilation crap, there's enough of that and this isn't going to be a serious competition by any means. It's just a for fun thing.

Voting definitely could be blind, but it all depends on the people. I think setting a theme could get rid of that. People would be asked to vote on who best interpreted the theme of the compo instead of who they fanboy over/whoever their best friend is/whoever bribed them.

I think guilt for not voting for a friend could be avoided by having a polling system.

As for where to upload, I'd probably have artists upload here and just tag their songs with something indicating they're entering the competition. A PM wouldn't hurt, either.

VA

voting could look like the buyer feedback thread (+1 Arlen/song title), or, you could even have points to distribute.  Like you said, themes might be the way to make it the most inclusive. 

I just love those sample pack compos, you end up with a theme just because the samples tend to suggest a certain sound to the artist.

Just brainstorming though...

Philly, PA, USA

you could do voting through a google spreadsheet thing or something

also @OMGITS LEIK 8BC ppl: no it's not because this wouldn't be every song uploaded to the website, just however many people decide they want to get involved.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

That's a really good point, pixls.  Since it'd be in a particular thread, only those wanting to play along could vote fairly unless someone spams 8bc with "vote for me" nonsense, but I'm hoping no one has the energy, nor the malfunctioned brain chemistry, to actually do that.  Plus there won't be 6 billion people voting for a song because it sounds like Megaman or Jingle Bells.

uhajdafdfdfa

pixls wrote:

you could do voting through a google spreadsheet thing or something.

How would I tally the votes, though? I don't have time to count through posts in a thread saying "I vote for xy."

._.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I have a feeling it wouldn't exactly be tons of people clamoring to get their votes in.  And since you said yourself (and I agree) it shouldn't be serious business, I'm sure no one would care until the final votes are tallied.  Which means there won't be a need for maintaining a live standing or whatever.  Tally all the posts before a defined date/time...post standings...tada!  It may even further prevent playing favorites or helping underdogs...I mean If you don't want to tally on the fly to keep an up to date standing...I'm sure as hell no one else wants to.  Also, by what I've seen of the buyer feedback thread I think the same idea would apply smoothly here without any double posting or cheating or what-the-hell-ever.

VA

What if voting was only open to participants, then you would have time, and you wouldn't have to worry about vote begging .  That would make it even more like botb though hahah.

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Cartoon Bomb wrote:

What if voting was only open to participants, then you would have time, and you wouldn't have to worry about vote begging .  That would make it even more like botb though hahah.

I'd say the only thing about that is its not much of a competition (however friendly) if theres only a small number participating and in turn voting.

sounds good sounds fun

ant1 wrote:

wink i'm already at botb.

I just thought maybe some sort of competition here could breath some life and creativity into the forums.