Ottawa, ON
arlen wrote:
Zef wrote:

I don't have much to say about the compos themselves, other than that if you want to do one I highly recommend using http://compo.thasauce.net/
I've entered compos using that site before and it's usually been quite smooth. The deadlines, uploads, cutoffs and voting are all handled on the server, so it's a lot les organizational work. You can easily see all the songs in the competition and vote and comment on them. Here's an example of a what a competition page looks like (this one is finished): http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/OHC100

I'll definitely look into it and see if I could use it for a competition here. This seems like a great idea!

The only drawback with compo.thasauce.net is the lack of anonymity, but apart from that, it's a pretty nifty system.  Handles the uploading, file tagging, etc. 
Ramaniscence (the guy who runs ThaSauce) is a swell guy, and I can say the same for pretty much every one else on that site as well.

http://www.solidcomposer.com/arena/ is another option as well.  The interface is pretty well thought out, and has a built in chat and music player.  It'll host project files as well.  Any registered user can create and host a competition, and it seems pretty easy to do so. 
Like compo.thasauce.net, it doesn't allow for anonymous entries, but superjoe is pretty active in updating and maintaining the site and I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't have a problem adding in that feature if someone wanted it.

Swedebbb

The solidcomposer system looks pretty good!

jmr wrote:

... he wouldn't have a problem adding in that feature if someone wanted it.

Then lets ask him?

uhajdafdfdfa
chunter wrote:

For those wondering, curious, or that never knew, BOTB voting is weighted based on your member experience level, so if you have a new account your votes carry little weight, but if you're the only experienced player in the compo you can decide the results singlehandedly (unlikely in anything more important than OHC.) I don't recommend copying this though it has clear advantages.

well, it's based on your "inf", the sum of all the digits in your points total, so someone with 2 points has more influence than someone 10000000 points (but mostly, more points = more influence, yes)

elmusho wrote:

The solidcomposer system looks pretty good!

jmr wrote:

... he wouldn't have a problem adding in that feature if someone wanted it.

Then lets ask him?

I say we do ask him. I don't know if I'd be able to host it all the time, so I'd need someone to sub for me in case I can't host it every 2 weeks. (I have a lot of shit to do and it probably won't be settling down anytime soon D: )

Hey guys, superjoe here. I made http://solidcomposer.com/. I'd love to have you guys host your competitions there. I'll try to address your concerns, and feel free to ask any questions.

arlen wrote:

Why bi-weekly? Well, one week would be for people to write their songs and submit, the next week would be for people to vote which song they felt was best. One week is plenty for a person to write a song, and one week is plenty to get enough votes.

I was thinking to make things more interesting, each competition would have a different theme, people could throw out some suggestions, too.

The only problem i've ran into while thinking this out is keeping track of votes. If the forum had a polling system, that'd be great. Other than that problem, I think this would be a great idea for the site. It'd give people something to come back to and it'd be pretty fun.

Discuss.

You could even have weekly competitions with a week of voting for each one. SolidComposer supports creating a theme that is only revealed at the start of the competition. It also keeps track of votes.

Cartoon Bomb wrote:

hehehe voting could be blind though...songs are uploaded to another website with no indication of the artist, or a special account here could be made for these anonymous submissions.  Personally, I don't think it's necessary, but it could add to the fun.

As jmr pointed out, SolidComposer does not have built in anonymity. I agree this would be a worthwhile feature, but I'm not able to make a promise on delivery at this point. However I do have a compromise. When you make an account, you have a "screen name" as well as a "band name." You are able to change your band name at any point in time. Before submitting your competition entry, you could change your band name to "anonymous" or something. When the entries show up in the competition, they will be attributed to your band name and not your screen name. This is kind of a hack, but it's already supported.

I think you guys would enjoy some of the other features though, for example the automated listening party. This is after the competition deadline - everybody on the web page listens to each other's entries at the same exact time (hence 'automated'). It makes it fun because you get to hear everyone commenting on your song while you listen to it.

Also I totally ripped the song player widget from SoundCloud - so it has that nice waveform and you can do timed comments and that kind of stuff. Except I use Reddit style comment trees. If you guys are willing to give good feedback on each other's songs, SolidComposer definitely gives you a place to do that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-superjoe

superjoe wrote:

I think you guys would enjoy some of the other features though, for example the automated listening party. This is after the competition deadline - everybody on the web page listens to each other's entries at the same exact time (hence 'automated'). It makes it fun because you get to hear everyone commenting on your song while you listen to it.

Not sure if a synclisten will work here as I'm sure many of us live in completely different time signatures and surely some would miss it. Definitely worth a try, though!

superjoe wrote:

Except I use Reddit style comment trees.
-superjoe

wink well, you have my (up)vote.

Haha, I didn't even expect you to reply to this thread!! I figured we'd get a message from someone else!

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I can see how that automated bit would be really fun and it would be so cool to use, but I do have to agree with the different time zone point.  However if that was implemented, as long as someone who missed the time could go back and listen it would pose less of a problem...It would just be a bit disappointing.

arlen wrote:

Haha, I didn't even expect you to reply to this thread!! I figured we'd get a message from someone else!

ha! no way man, it's just me.

8-Bit-Rex wrote:

I can see how that automated bit would be really fun and it would be so cool to use, but I do have to agree with the different time zone point.  However if that was implemented, as long as someone who missed the time could go back and listen it would pose less of a problem...It would just be a bit disappointing.

You can configure when to have the listening party - try to pick a time that works for most people. Or you can not have one. Also, you most definitely can listen to all the tracks at will after the synclisten is done. Here's an example of a competition that is already over: http://solidcomposer.com/arena/compete/120/. Click on an entry to listen to the track and check out the player.

california

I'm down. let's do eet!

Swedebbb

Band name hack should work,
I say we go!

Edit: If you can download MP3 before voting is over, id3 tags might tip you off.. and you still want your name in there, right?

Last edited by elmusho (Feb 9, 2011 6:12 pm)

I'll try and set this up this weekend, granted i'm not busy (which is verrrrrrrrry likely).

If I am too busy/forget, i'll try to get it done sometime next week.

Also:
THROW OUT SOME THEME SUGGESTIONS

Liverpool, UK

"Bringing your fists to a gunfight...and winning"

Been trying to set up the competition on SolidComposer, but it doesn't seem to want to let me. :S uh oh!

What's the problem arlen? gtalk [email protected]

Last edited by superjoe (Feb 12, 2011 12:51 am)

arlen wrote:

Not sure if a synclisten will work here as I'm sure many of us live in completely different time signatures

Yeah, I live in 5/8.

Last edited by an0va (Feb 12, 2011 11:13 pm)

Edmonton, Canada

being an only horse in an area full of alien dodos.

/theme.