Chepachet, Rhode Island

So I figured this would be an interesting point of discussion.  I think a thread about non-chip related music influences in our own chipmusic would be fun and enlightening...plus who doesn't like to gab about the music they're into, right? 

I'll start with just two:

Glitch Mob and Opeth

For both (even though one is electronic and the other progressive death metal) I love the unique sounds, Interesting rhythms and the feeling that the progression of the song could change radically at any moment.  Especially in Opeth, following a chord or melody progression say in 4/4 time, instead of the fourth phrase repeating the previous three or being only slightly different, the song completely throws you off guard by changing it radically while still actually fitting with the feel of the song overall.  Also in regards to Opeth, the complex melodies and dissonant sounds that wouldn't fit at ALL in other songs really makes me appreciate his music composition.  His sad, meaningful, and poetic lyrics (that aren't in the least corny unlike many "melancholy" songs) also are a huge interest of mine.

Example:
Opeth, The Drapery Falls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4

The first two verses have the same exact feel and melody, but the second one at the very end throws you for a loop when he unexpectedly cuts it off to sing something different  (2:17-4:30)

Brazil

The holy trio David Bowie, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed.
Also the whole post-punk and synthpop/new wave (Joy Division, New Order, Depeche Mode, . I listen to oldschool Hip-Hop (Afrika Bambaata, Grandmaster Flash & the furious Five, |Arabian Prince, some freestyle stuff too).
Recently a lot of Detroit Techno and Old House.

AANABAY01

from King Crimson i get ze message zat good musicians don't need to play zeir whole hand at once and don't need to dumb down for ze audience, zat chords and rhythm can be beautiful without ze need for melody, provided zey're interesting, and zat songs you can listen to more zan once are more valuable zan songs zat shock & awe ze first time and are never played again. Magma reinforce every one of zese points!

listening to grind and noise i realise beauty isn't ze only goal of a song zat doesn't try to take over ze body. listening to Edith Piaf and 50s film scores i am reminded zat even accompaniment can be very avant-garde and risky until it is accepted as being traditional, zat zere are old musical tropes which are now memes which could once have been considered unlistenable and unthinkable elements.

listening to industrial i notice zat i value ze anger of the song more highly zan anything it attempts to celebrate. listening to ze Melvins makes me wonder why music shouldn't be exhausting to ze listener.

listening to 4-to-the-floor dance music makes me dread music which attempts to hook you by taking control of your body, especially since when it fails zere is nothing left in ze song of any interest. :F

uhajdafdfdfa

the namco sound team and the postman pat theme tune are somewhere

with the vast majority of music being the same (4/4 and major or minor, drums bass chords and leads), it's hard to pick any one band or artist that cursed me with writing 4/4 major/minor drums bass chords leads music, unfortunately. well, i don't seem to have a particularly narrow or unique "style", but it's western popular music post~1950, i guess
HORRIBLY FORMULAIC

Liverpool, UK

sabrepulse and henry homesweet lol!1111

São Paulo, Brazil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96ZyoAF … ature=fvst

San Francisco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dVBDTGsrFk

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Even though this thread is going to shit...I still lol'd like a mothabitch.

Toronto, ONT

Skrillex

I draw a lot of influence from; Led Zeppelin, Elvis, The Fall of Troy, Lil Wayne, and many various artists. I try to keep an open mind to music, because i feel no genre is truly bad, it just depends on what a person is into.

Bronx, NY

Celia Cruz, DJ Premier, Legowelt, Depeche Mode, Tito Puente.

Boulder, CO

Manowar.

Bronx, NY
DaPantz wrote:

Celia Cruz, DJ Premier, Legowelt, Depeche Mode, Tito Puente.

Oh, and Nullsleep.

Just bein' real.

Muse, The Back Horn, Rachmaninov, Silvio Rodríguez, and a little bit of Michiru Yamane.

...and even some of you guys. wink

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

Indie electronica like flying lotus and lady gaga and the beatles

Florida
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

from King Crimson i get ze message zat good musicians don't need to play zeir whole hand at once and don't need to dumb down for ze audience, zat chords and rhythm can be beautiful without ze need for melody, provided zey're interesting, and zat songs you can listen to more zan once are more valuable zan songs zat shock & awe ze first time and are never played again. Magma reinforce every one of zese points!

listening to __________ i realize beauty isn't ze only goal of a song zat doesn't try to take over ze body. listening to Edith Piaf and 50s film scores i am reminded zat even accompaniment can be very avant-garde and risky until it is accepted as being traditional, zat zere are old musical tropes which are now memes which could once have been considered unlistenable and unthinkable elements.

listening to 4-to-the-floor dance music makes me dread music which attempts to hook you by taking control of your body, especially since when it fails zere is nothing left in ze song of any interest. :F

^^^ King Crimson, Magma, and the philosophy stuff. All of that is spot on.

A huuugge influence on me is Brian Eno... namely his first 4 art-rock records. Big into Soul-Junk (especially his hip-hop stuff) lately. Other prog rock like Gong, Gentle Giant, and early Genesis. Krautrock too... too much to name. Charles Ives and John Cage on a purely philosophical level.

While I respect and enjoy a lot of chipmusic, none of it really influences me.