PDX

I bought some equipment from a chip guy the other day and noticed that (like me) he was integrating VSTs with his hardware and using a DAW. I was astounded that he had never heard of Plogue Chipsounds.

So.....

Plogue Chipsounds. http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=43

If you integrate VSTi's, basically you no longer need anything except this (of course all the other chip VST's are free, but it is so worth it). When you see all the options and hear the sound, you will be compelled to buy it because of the sheer love the guy put into designing it.

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 20, 2010 4:34 pm)

I bought this when it first came out and I like it still.

I have a number of goto sounds on it that I prefer in comparison to the kind of atonal noise stuff that comes from a number of the chips but it's still good stuff.

For me the wave sequence is slightly annoying and I don't use it so much because of that but it's not a huge deal.

Finland
aphasia wrote:

I bought this when it first came out and I like it still.

Still? What was that, like, 3 months ago?:D

Would love to have this but I dont have the money at the moment. tongue

New York City

I do not like the table system, it's cryptic and inconvenient. In a VST world it would be better to have assignable LFOs instead. This makes me not want to use the software because I cannot create the complexity of instruments I would desire.

The rest is pretty spot on. I heard the SID was disappointing but I thought it was pretty cool.
Attention to detail and accuracy is high. Plogue rocks.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 20, 2010 6:49 pm)

brighton, uk

The inability to midi map in ableton live makes it very slow to use (drawing out midi changes in clips).
To manipulate with a midi controller you have to set up CC's through the controller, which is annoying, because with ableton I like to be able to do stuff on the fly.
However, it is great for portability, if I want to make some chip stuff from home I have something to jot down ideas in.

Montreal

HI

We are working on that parameter/learn thing for an update.
Please stay put smile

Italy

Really considering to buy this. I'm really more into hardware... but since I'm not really good in electronics, it would make certain platforms a lot easier for me...

Montreal

rumplefilter: we are prepping a demo version, so if you hesitate, by all means, please try the demo first. ..
working hard on it... cant give an ETA.

Italy
plgDavid wrote:

rumplefilter: we are prepping a demo version, so if you hesitate, by all means, please try the demo first. ..

yeah! DEMO is a great idea! I'm sure I'll know it when it's out... thanks for letting me know!
In fact I must say, all the VSTs I've tried so far are not really satisfying, so I'm really looking forward to trying this one (which seems to be really the best one around!). Btw. wasn't the ARIA engine also used in the recent Steinway VST instrument? sounds really like hi-quality to me...

plgDavid wrote:

Hello everybody, (Hello David, Happy to see you here !) wink

Yes David, it's a good news. Your plugin is the best one I know. I never tested it but sound is perfect. Difficult to know that is a fake soundchip !! wink

rumpelfilter wrote:

In fact I must say, all the VSTs I've tried so far are not really satisfying...

Ok rumpelfilter, I understand that you search the best ! But, I tell you, few free plugins are good (not perfect than David's plugin!) but simply very good : YMCK use sometimes his plugin 'Magical 8bit Plug', I know. Moreover, ymVST is good for a free plugin, isn't it ! Sure, only fews plugins are very good.

I recognise, I love the sound of David's plugin : Plogue Chipsound. Lovely ! heart

Cheers,

Italy
jikoo wrote:

Ok rumpelfilter, I understand that you search the best ! But, I tell you, few free plugins are good (not perfect than David's plugin!) but simply very good : YMCK use sometimes his plugin 'Magical 8bit Plug', I know. Moreover, ymVST is good for a free plugin, isn't it ! Sure, only fews plugins are very good.
I recognise, I love the sound of David's plugin : Plogue Chipsound. Lovely ! heart
Cheers,

Well that's true, there's some good ones out there, won't argue on that. But I think it's either the real thing or a really good emulation... because using vsts on the computer is a bit of a strange thing when doing chiptunes...

I mean there's several reasons because people like to make/listen to chiptunes. One is the sound, the esthetics, the nostalgia factor. Another is the act itself, the reduction, the musical minimalism. I think so many people use the gameboy to make tunes because it's small and portable and there is something in the act itself to stand on a stage and perform music on a gameboy. From that point of view a plugin like chipsounds doesn't make a lot of sense. It makes sense for people like me, who just love the sound, and aren't necessarily purists, and work on a DAW anyway... but then, the sound should really be as good as possible, and should be also very flexible and powerful. maybe even exceeding the original platform it's emulating.
In fact I quite like Quantum64, which is no emulation, but has some great features and a distinctive sound of it's own...

Montreal
rumpelfilter wrote:

Btw. wasn't the ARIA engine also used in the recent Steinway VST instrument? sounds really like hi-quality to me...

yes we've done the Steinway Engine before, but Steinway is 100% sample based, so quality is moslty a factor of the good original recordings.

chipsounds is like 95% live synthesis and 5% samples (roughly).

Last edited by plgDavid (Feb 6, 2010 8:59 pm)

))<>((

The sounds out of this VST are amazing, but my only problem with it is, it taxes the FUCK out of my CPU. I can't play 4 tracks at once without it skipping a bunch; Ableton Live, with a 2GHz AMD  dual-core processor. It's probably due to my on-board sound, but it still be able to play more than 4 tracks at once.

Unsubscribe

Asio4all is bit of a hog too.. i find its pretty light on a card with proper asio drivers.

Montreal
tacticalbread wrote:

The sounds out of this VST are amazing, but my only problem with it is, it taxes the FUCK out of my CPU. I can't play 4 tracks at once without it skipping a bunch; Ableton Live, with a 2GHz AMD  dual-core processor. It's probably due to my on-board sound, but it still be able to play more than 4 tracks at once.

Did you try to close the UI and see if that made a difference? Some audio/video card configurations
are known to be problematic for our stuff.

))<>((

I didn't consciously close the UI, but I've loaded up Live, and tried to play it without opening the UI, and it still skips. Playing one plugin uses about half my CPU (or so Live tells me). I can run pads, bass, a kick, and a snare, without it skipping, but anything else in there and it gets very sad.