New Orleans, Louisiana

It's all good.. I was just freaking out for a moment there big_smile

Your computer may need drivers to get those ports to work correctly. I know some towers I have worked on require some drivers installed to support all of the built in card readers and USB hubs. Where to get these drivers... that's sometimes a good question depending on age of tower etc.

buffalo, NY

pretty new computer.  Windows 7, shows up as "unknown device" in device manager. 

try to "troubleshoot", says

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I just plugged in a different USB drive (since that's what it should show up as) and that works fine.  Red light on the cart blinks twice fast, then 3 more times at a slower pace.

Not working in my XP64 machine either.  Or the roommates laptop running Windows 7

This is with TWO seperate carts btw, so I'm pretty sure they're not defective.

Last edited by danimal cannon (Sep 29, 2012 3:25 am)

SYDNERDIA
danimal cannon wrote:

Tried a different cable?

buffalo, NY
abrasive wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Tried a different cable?

let me check my vast supply of micro usb cables. 

Information is being transferred, it is recognizing that it's a USB device, just that it has no idea what to do with it.  Wouldn't a faulty cable just not transfer information, how can it "cloud up" my digital information?  Do I need one of those high speed monster cables?  Also since the cart is lighting up....

EDIT HOLY FUCK IT WAS THE CABLE. 

Fuck you technology.  I can't believe I found another one lying around.

Last edited by danimal cannon (Sep 29, 2012 3:46 am)

SYDNERDIA

the cart blinks when power is applied. dodgy cables will cause it to blink repeatedly. you should get precisely one short blink, then a pause. then some longer blinks as your OS reads the partition info etc. off the cart.

also, usb connection status is determined without any data transfer taking place. "unknown device" strongly suggests dodgy connections.

buffalo, NY

word thanks sir.  Sorry for my snarkiness, it's been a long night.

buffalo, NY

so it seems they're loaded with a hacked rom with some demo songs on there. The hacked rom is to prevent you from seeing the data. However, if you replace your save without replacing the rom (because why would I?) it makes me think my data is BROKEN and can't view my files but can play them somehow.

Another stroke occurred during this learning process.

Oh, and all I have to do to actually see the song data is pair it with a non-hacked LSDJ ROM. Copy protection that makes you think your stuff is broken is awesome.  I'm sure that seemed like a good idea, but it really just made me pull my (nonexistent) hair out for 20 minutes.

I'm only posting this in case someone else runs into the same thing.

Last edited by danimal cannon (Sep 29, 2012 4:42 am)

Sydney, NSW
danimal cannon wrote:
abrasive wrote:

Tried a different cable?

let me check my vast supply of micro usb cables. 

Information is being transferred, it is recognizing that it's a USB device, just that it has no idea what to do with it.  Wouldn't a faulty cable just not transfer information, how can it "cloud up" my digital information?  Do I need one of those high speed monster cables?  Also since the cart is lighting up....

EDIT HOLY FUCK IT WAS THE CABLE. 

Fuck you technology.  I can't believe I found another one lying around.

Yeah, for some reason, carts and some cables don't like each other. My EMS 64M was the same, it refused to work with long cables.

danimal cannon wrote:

so it seems they're loaded with a hacked rom with some demo songs on there. The hacked rom is to prevent you from seeing the data. However, if you replace your save without replacing the rom (because why would I?) it makes me think my data is BROKEN and can't view my files but can play them somehow.

Another stroke occurred during this learning process.

Oh, and all I have to do to actually see the song data is pair it with a non-hacked LSDJ ROM. Copy protection that makes you think your stuff is broken is awesome.  I'm sure that seemed like a good idea, but it really just made me pull my (nonexistent) hair out for 20 minutes.

I'm only posting this in case someone else runs into the same thing.

From what I can gather, this is the freeware LSDJ player rom, which essentially just plays LSDJ stuff back to you. No modification or anything. I've never actually tried it, but I know it, indeed, is a thing that exists.

@Celsius/Abrasive, I reckon this should be put on the drag n derp webpage to avoid confusion; some people know about the LSDJ player rom, others don't!

danimal cannon wrote:

I'm sure that seemed like a good idea, but it really just made me pull my (nonexistent) hair out for 20 minutes.

Anyone else run into this issue? Wondering if this should be mentioned in the item description. I thought the fact that we didn't require license information would be enough indication that the rom wasn't a legitimate LSDj rom.

SYDNERDIA
danimal cannon wrote:

that, my friend, is the official "LSDJ Player".

will in future label it so it shows up as "LSDJPLAYER" or similar.

buffalo, NY

That makes sense.  My addled brain just wasn't up to it.

SYDNERDIA

Also, it's not there to prevent you from seeing the data - it's there to prevent you from not buying LSDj wink

It'd be nice if it had a notice in the ROM. And also if it were updated to a newer version. But it's free, so...

buffalo, NY

Was it listed in the instructions?  I'm bad at things.

SYDNERDIA

No. It was just a freebie bonus demo songs player.

Sweeeeeeden

To anyone who might be wondering, the version of LittleFM that is publicly available does not work with derp. It's all working, but I need to finish the script for patching an LSDj ROM before I feel comfortable releasing it.