Chepachet, Rhode Island

The Chipmusic.org Bi-Weekly Competition!

Every two weeks a new theme will be announced.  It's your job to create a rad track following the given theme for the chance to claim legendary glory and fame!

Challenges start on a Monday at 00:00 with entry deadline 10 days later at 00:00 (EST)
Voting lasts 3 days after the entry deadline

Current [Thar Be Chipmusic Ahead!]ENTER!

Previous [Blast The Chips]CLOSED!

- Entries must be a Chiptune of some sort.

Spread the word!

(Competitions 1-7 spearheaded by Arlen. From 8 on 8-Bit-Rex is the man in charge.)

COMPETITION #1: Fists in a Gunfight ----------> WINNER: 2PLAYER

COMPETITION #2: Tropical Island Jam! ----------> WINNER: Kommisar

COMPETITION #3: Space Adventure Turns for the Worse ----------> WINNER: 8-Bit-Rex

COMPETITION #4: (Dubstep =/= Dub...) ----------> WINNER: Jredd

COMPETITION #5: Post Apocalyptic Cyborg Ninja ----------> WINNER: 2PLAYER

COMPETITION #6: Frantic Racing Game ----------> WINNER: 2PLAYER

COMPETITION #7: Jazztime ----------> WINNER: Fucking, 2PLAYER

COMPETITION #8: Mega Teenage Ninja Men ----------> WINNER: Everyone BUT 8-Bit-Rex

COMPETITION #9: Blast The Chips ----------> WINNER: null1024

COMPETITION #10: Thar Be Chipmusic Ahead! ----------> WINNER: ?

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Jun 27, 2011 2:12 pm)

Rhode Island

OMG yes. What a theme!

Chepachet, Rhode Island
2PLAYER wrote:

OMG yes. What a theme!

;D thanks, sweetheart.

Moncton, Canada

hahaha yesssss

Rhode Island

Lol just noticed the "fucking 2PLAYER". Had a good laugh

Moncton, Canada

fakebit is allowed. hehe

Rhode Island
Kommisar wrote:

fakebit is allowed. hehe

Ehhh, I'm all for allowing it but there should be some stipulations. Ie limiting number of channels, polyphony, etc. Should be trying to emulate a retro system not adding a magical8bit channel over an otherwise non-8bit song. Slippery slope.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Neo Jersey

holy crap i have to get in on this one fo sho. i heart mega man and tmnt!

Neo Jersey
2PLAYER wrote:
Kommisar wrote:

fakebit is allowed. hehe

Ehhh, I'm all for allowing it but there should be some stipulations. Ie limiting number of channels, polyphony, etc. Should be trying to emulate a retro system not adding a magical8bit channel over an otherwise non-8bit song. Slippery slope.

well, as long as its mainly chip sounds im ok with it, i dont care how you make it.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I really don't think it would be a problem for a while anyway.

Oh my god....that theme is glorious....Count me in! big_smile

Moncton, Canada

if I did something like this with fakebit would people hate me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvvt1kmL1Q

cuz I would

Last edited by Kommisar (May 24, 2011 10:09 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Ehhhh maybe I'll make the same qualifications as the Weekly Challenges (that list of programs to use).  Keep the two competitions Tracker/whatever based?

I think that it's important to make things sound reasonably close to a retro console with whatever you're using especially in a theme such as this where the inspiration for the theme itself is so iconic and classic. Then again, it is up to the composer to determine how they want to interpret the theme. Still, I wouldn't advise fake bit dance music for this one tongue. At the same time, if you can take a program with a daw and emulate a classic sound with just a touch of modern flare I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it isn't overboard. Look at the games that inspire the theme, and then try to compose accordingly smile.I mean you can pretty much use whatever you want, but think carefully about the theme in question smile.

Moncton, Canada

I promised I'd stick to LSDJ for next comps. Limited myself to 5 channels for this one.