Riverside, CA

Looks like it works in Wine under Ubuntu 10.04. YESSSS.

New York City

I'll be looking forward to convert my TFM experiments through this so they sound properly on my Genesis.
If you don't use samples, can't you use TFC files to play on the Megadrive?

Russia, Moscow

VGM Music Maker v1.01, fixes the problems that were found so far.

v1.01 23.06.11

+ MIDI support is improved, now the editor works with MIDI USB keyboards
* Wrong file extension has been added to the instrument name on the instrument save
* *.vge instruments were not displayed in the open instrument dialog
* Changing instrument number through MIDI marked all the selected instruments
* PSG mute has not been initialized at start up, probably the reason why PSG sound was absent sometimes
* Group loading for samples has not worked properly
* Right mouse button has not worked properly for PSG instruments when used with on-screen keyboard
* VGM output is optimized, now files are smaller and works better with VGM players for actual Genesis/Mega Drive consoles
* FM polyphony in the instrument editor is increased to six channels
- DLL dependency with MSVC 2008 Redistributable is removed

Slovakia / European Union

Here is VGM MM Facebook fanpage:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VGM-Musi … 7663706782

And Soundcloud dropbox for your VGM Music Maker for your tunes:
http://soundcloud.com/vgmmusicmaker/dropbox

São Paulo, Brazil

Russia, Moscow

Should warn everyone who uses PSG: I'm going to change PSG envelope behaviour. Currently it works like FM envelope, never resetting output value. It could be useful for FM, but makes only problems for PSG, so I'm going to reset it on a new note in next versions.

Nomad's Land

i can see what you mean, but damn, i'm already getting used to these long track envelopes. it's very cool feature i think. couldn't you make it an option, so people can chose between note envelopes and track envelopes? maybe use the AM switch to toggle the option?

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Jun 25, 2011 1:32 pm)

Russia, Moscow

What are the 'note and track envelopes'? There are FM envelopes, which is feature of YM2612 and can't be changed at all, and PSG envelopes, which are made in software and could be changed as needed. I've thought that it would be nice to have PSG envelopes work just like FM ones initially, but it turned out that it simply does not allow to use PSG instruments with slow attack without using note cut effect on every note. So PSG envelopes just have to be changed right now, while there is not too much music made. There is no point to have an option for this, it would be like 'make PSG usable', 'make PSG less usable'. FM envelopes will not be changed, it is impossible to change them.

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 25, 2011 1:36 pm)

Nomad's Land

ahh, maybe "note and track envelopes" isn't the appropriate term. i don't know how the fm envelopes works since this isn't in my field of interest xD anyway-
by note envelope i mean an envelope that is reset by next note trigger.
by track envelope i mean the opposite, no reset on trigger, so you can make long envelopes that stretch out over 1 or more patterns, independantly of note triggers.
if you change it, then those would have to be entered manually via volume column, means workload is increased by factor 10 at least.

Russia, Moscow

Give me an example in which case current PSG envelopes behaviour could be useful.

Nomad's Land

think shifting volume envelopes, ie envelopes that stretch out for more than 1 pattern, and that don't follow the main time signature.

Russia, Moscow

Sorry, irrlichtproject, but I don't understand what you mean, and actually have feeling that you don't understand the problem or my explainations. Just look at this. Check the instrument and the song - it sounds just illogical. After the change it will sounds just as anyone would expect (exactly same module).

Nomad's Land

hehe i understand you perfectly well. i'm not saying it shouldn't be changed (the current behaviour is definately not optimal), i just want to keep the current behaviour as an option. but if that is problematic to implement then i won't insist wink

to explain my example. assume you have a pattern with 64 ticks that you want play 4 times in a row. now, you want to put an envelope that oscillates the volume every 80 ticks (as would be a common feature in techno music), without creating a new pattern every time. with the current envelope behaviour this can be done very quickly, plus i can recycle the same pattern 4 times rather than creating a new one for every volume envelope constellation.

Russia, Moscow

One example module can explain way more than words. The words just confuse me more and more. With current behaviour you just can't have an envelope that has predictable timing. So for first time the pattern plays it will be 80 ticks, for next time it will be just 40, etc.

I can definitely say that having an option is not an option. It should be one way or another.

Teeside, UK

I'd just like to say thanks a lot for all the effort it took to make this gorgeous piece of software. I never really used TFM MM because I was more geared towards mouse-orientated stuff (openMPT basically), but when this was released I really tried my best to get to grips with it.

There's just a few things I was interested in:

-Is there a certain level at which the PSG becomes detuned? I've got some neat arpeggio and it goes completely out of tune when it reaches a certain pitch.

-When I export to VGM the levels between the PSG and FM are completely different, with the PSG being a hell of a lot louder as well as the noise generator emitting a completely different sound. Is there a reason for this or any way I can have an idea of what the difference could be whilst making the music?

I've never used a PSG tracker before so I'm not familiar with the chip, so apologies if these are kind of daft questions smile

Last edited by Tunners (Jun 27, 2011 12:58 am)

Russia, Moscow

I don't have real console to compare volumes of PSG vs FM. All the emulators has different volume balance, I modelled one in the tracker after old version on in_vgm, but it was changed in later versions too. I guess the volume balance is different between different Genesis/MD models, that's why it is different in emulators.

PSG can't go below A#1, and probably has detune in high octaves, because it has just 10-bit divider.

Last edited by Shiru (Jun 27, 2011 8:34 am)