Bronx, NY

I actually just posted this on my Facebook, then realized this is probably a more appropriate place for this kind of discussion.

For all of you who make what you consider to be "chip music": Do you try to create art/expressions through your music, or are you simply having fun with fun sounds? Is it some combination of these and a bunch of other things? How do you approach your music? I ask because I sense that people have so many different approaches to their music, and a lot of discussion is focused more on sound design or whether the music is danceable or immediately accessible.

Personally, every single track I've ever written on my Game Boy has been about something. Some sort of concept or idea, or some sort of expression of a feeling, desire to create a certain mood, whatever. Every EP I've released or conceptualized has been thematic, not just throwing tracks together that exist; I wrote an album about being depressed, an album about location, working on an "autobiographical album now, etc. I think it's a really exciting challenge and the most accurate way, thus far, to get my thoughts out musically.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Satisfaction and a thirst to experiment. And also, more importantly, a want to write music that I would want to listen to over anything else that currently exists. I think without that pure love for your own music, I can't really see a reason to compose, especially in a small scene like chiptune.

As for albums, all have been written in a specific two weeks (so my emotional input is around the same) or based on an idea (the Square Wave Octaves, and my current project of 5 EPs, each based separately on either Water, Fire, Earth, Wind or Aether, like I said, experimentation! tongue)

PS, probably the best question I've seen asked on here

Last edited by AndrewKilpatrick (Jul 30, 2011 11:25 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland

I just like to write music. I don't have a formula, or a method, or anything I'm trying to live up to.
It's fun, and portable. Pure and simple.

I attempt to put a certain idea into music. Make the music be born from the idea, and to essentially BE the idea in music form.

The constant failure at achieving this is why I haven't written much lately, and resort to dicking around in the tracker(s) and doing many OHBs.

Concord, CA

I think I'm different from most people in that very rarely do I try to accomplish a certain theme with my music. I pretty much just start writing if I'm feeling bored or depressed and the music just flows out of me. It's a good way to blow some time or to make myself feel better rather quickly.

Back when I first started making music my skill level didn't allow me to create songs based on some ideas, I just had to go with the flow. Now I can, and have, but I still like just sticking with whatever flows out.

Wellington, New Zealand

All the songs on my albums are inspired by something. I made a whole album inspired by things that happened to me during a week of school.

AANABAY01

i use my music to express my anger or disatisfaction with your music

Sydney, NSW

I try to make sounds that people find listenable

astral cat

i get bored sometimes

BOSTON

i have a lot of spare time

Brazil

I think it's always about something. I have songs written for streets of my city, to people I know, things that happened. But sometimes is about things I wished that happens in the future.

But they are never interconnected, at least not in ideas. Gonna work on that in the future.

Whitley Bay, England

It varies - sometimes I start a song wanting to achieve something specific - sometimes I start a song and it develops in a certain way, but I'd like to think I always have some sort of direction behind it.

One time I did an EP where I physically went to important places to me, and wrote and recorded songs inspired by each place in situ. It was great fun.

Other than that though, music is just another way for me to express myself and be creative.

São Paulo, Brazil

Jesus, you guys are listening to much to prog rock.

The Hollow Earth
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

Satisfaction and a thirst to experiment. And also, more importantly, a want to write music that I would want to listen to over anything else that currently exists. I think without that pure love for your own music, I can't really see a reason to compose, especially in a small scene like chiptune.

I realize that parroting what someone else said sort of defeats the purpose of responding to a questions like this, but what Andrew said reflects the very sentiment I hold. I am nothing but pleased if other people enjoy my music, but I have to satisfy myself first and if I'm at least satisfied with it, then my number one goal is accomplished.

Not everything I do is chipmusic, but when I do it I strive to do something that sounds like the kind of music from games I grew up playing in the '80s in arcades and on consoles at home. Usually rock, but I am definitely interested in doing the occasional lounge/exotica sounding piece, like the track I have on the upcoming "Chiptunes in Nice Places" compilation.

The music for it's own sake always comes first, but the inspiration varies. Sometimes I'll try to do something for a compilation. Sometimes I'll be inspired by a place or an idea. Sometimes an instrument or a sound will inspire me to create something from it or around it.

Matthew Joseph Payne
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Jesus, you guys are listening to much to prog rock.

...and not making enough!

Westfield, NJ

I don't consider myself to be a creative person. Or at least, I wasn't creative when I was growing up. I was good at math and science. I studied engineering. I could never draw to save my life. Music is a way for me to explore my creative side and try to improve a certain part of my brain. It gives me a certain balance I didn't have before.