Yes. Tracking. ON PAPER.

Have you ever been in a place with no computer around, or in a place where you can't use the available computer to track, and had a really awesome idea for a song (or for continuing a song you started before)?

In case you have, have you ever scribbled down on paper as if paper was your tracker?

Last night I had no choice, actually. I was on a bus ride home and obviously, had no computer around (no, I don't have a netbook or a smartphone, and still, where I live, it wouldn't be the smartest thing to flash those things around on public transport), and I scribbled down my idea ON A RECEIPT.

YES. I found out I was still carrying a receipt for some errand my pals at the workplace sent me to (they wanted hotdogs) and I tracked my idea down on the back, like

A-x
---
---
---
A-y
---
---
---
G-y
---
F#y
E-y
---
---
D-y
---
C#y
---
---
---
F#y
---
---
C#y

(Yes, I actually use variables instead of constants for octaves, lol)

It's a rather tedious process, and you rely on your knowledge of notes and being able to whistle or hum them out as a cheap substitute for a playback function, but it gets the job done (at least for me).

Ever done something as silly (or more) than this?

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Oct 14, 2011 6:37 pm)

Palmdale, CA

This is so funny I've done the exact same thing before

Godzilladelph

I may or may not have written melodies and codes for programming my vl-tone on the furniture in my room...

lol, this is what sheet music was for dawg. that's not a bad idea though!

brooklyn!
an0va wrote:

yeah, but how likely are most people to be carrying staff paper around with them? especially for a scene in which a large portion of people are making music WITHOUT classical training (at least that's my perception, not sure exactly what the percentage is).
but yeah, i've done this plenty of times. recreating stuff in a tracker is pretty easy if already transcribed as such.

Sweeeeeeden

Never tracked on paper. I have however written Gameboy assembly code on paper.

The Hollow Earth

Yes I've done this before! I've also written down all the songs I intend to put on a album together and tried to put them in order while listening to them in my head to see if they flow together properly. Also helps when you're trying to figure out titles for tracks.

thieveland ohio

i actually write out all my songs into a quad compostion books. I never really trust backups for some reason

London, Ontario

the only time ive done anything like this was with guitar tabs..im sure the skill is transferable though tongue

Chicago IL

rushjet1 was telling me about writing MML in a notebook while he was bored in math class

Brazil

I did relied on paper to write down my configs to some gameboy instruments.

California

I wrote my latest song on paper because I got the idea for it during class and didn't want to risk forgetting it before I got home.

likeluke wrote:
an0va wrote:

yeah, but how likely are most people to be carrying staff paper around with them? especially for a scene in which a large portion of people are making music WITHOUT classical training (at least that's my perception, not sure exactly what the percentage is).
but yeah, i've done this plenty of times. recreating stuff in a tracker is pretty easy if already transcribed as such.

tru, but you don't need staff paper man,  I mean, you can also always just draw five lines and bam ghetto staff!

----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------

i've just drawn out the notes with the flags above them, if that makes sense. like writing "A" but with an eighth note flag on it

Even if you have no training whatsoever in reading or anything (i can't sightread for shit) at least seeing the pattern of notes (or "dots") in this case allows you to visually perceive the progression of the notes - "this dot is higher, this next one is lower," which IMO is easier than guessing the octaves off hand: "A-?"

but then again, i'm weird like that. carry on all!

Last edited by an0va (Oct 15, 2011 12:55 am)

Now that WINTER IS COMING [/gameofthrones] I might carry a steno pad or a moleskine, along with a pencil, on one of my jacket pockets and carry that shit everywhere, so no ideas catch me off guard.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Oct 15, 2011 2:42 am)

Philly, PA, USA

Not for notes or tracking or whatever, but i've totally been bored in class and started drawing out Quartz Composer patches and stuff

Brunswick, GA USA

I write on staff and have sometimes use nashville numbers, but I only bother if I think of a melody that is catchy and can't sing into a recorder or something

Last edited by chunter (Oct 15, 2011 4:21 am)